• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
blkmgc

Leaders that Lead?

47 posts in this topic

Getting rid of the free players would get rid of a lot of the disgruntled players that come back to tell CRS everything their doing wrong...

If it was up to me, you pay then you play.

If not, hit the highway.

Lower the monthly sub for the cheapskates and get rid of the starter set.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, blkmgc said:

Oh, wanted to add. I doubt discord can handle the kind of numbers were talking here in one channel.

What do you mean?

6 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Getting rid of the free players would get rid of a lot of the disgruntled players that come back to tell CRS everything their doing wrong...

If not, hit the highway.

Interesting outlook coming from someone on the support team, or at least according to a forum handle.

Do you play any other PC games currently/know anything of the current PC game market particularly when it comes to pricing? Perhaps these people just want to help...

15 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

If not, hit the highway.

You raise a good point. At one time I had 2 paid accounts. One for playing and one for transport. This was because the level of gameplay really necessitated it since we had so much kit or troops to move.  I just don't see myself doing that at this point, and I thought that some input would be helpful since I remember when there were thousands on line doing this...thousands. Like CE ,Just trying to offer a little reflection on what it was that kept that many interested in this. Or maybe like you say, me and my 2 accounts should just go away? No worries either way. Cheers.

20 minutes ago, Ce said:

What do you mean?

Ive tried this (along with ventrillo) not long ago with 15-20 in one channel . They fell on their face hard. Usually first sound quality went, and then working at all. A good solid TS is still king for large groups IMO. YMMV.

Discord has no set user limit for voice channels, though server admins can set limits manually. There are reports of 100+ users simultaneously without loss of fidelity, although obviously at such numbers there could be a lot of problems with people trying to talk over one another.

17 minutes ago, chaoswzkd said:

Discord has no set user limit for voice channels, though server admins can set limits manually. There are reports of 100+ users simultaneously without loss of fidelity, although obviously at such numbers there could be a lot of problems with people trying to talk over one another.

This is why I inserterted "YMMV" . i suppose if you had 100 people 5 miles from whatever regional server you've selected, it'll work fine. We found exactly the opposite. Combine that with security and configurability and we found TS to be head and shoulders above any of them. But hey, Discord is free (other than they can share your info with partner companies as per the eula). Guess you get what you pay for.

But  thats a whole other topic to be sure.

3 hours ago, pbveteran said:

In the past everyone was premium and had all equipment or you were in a 14 day full access to the game.

So when you talk or told someone to come as engineer/para/tank they most likely could, the fact that you had access to all equipment meant you would try to use it and get better at it, now a starter would never learn to use a tank etc..

And back then your friend on the starter account could not play at all cause it was out of his budget.
And starter account can use some armor units, and can use planes, so.....

2 hours ago, gt3076r said:

Interesting outlook coming from someone on the support team, or at least according to a forum handle.

Do you play any other PC games currently/know anything of the current PC game market particularly when it comes to pricing? Perhaps these people just want to help...

Im a volunteer but what does that have to do with it?

No, i don't play any other games, nor do i care to.

I've been subbed to on and off and have been playing this game for close to 15 years.

Free to play with microtransactions won't work and CRS has already stated there are no plans to cater to the pay2win crowd.

This is a niche game for a small group of WWII fans and catering to the ADD kiddies was tried and didn't really work.

I've been around long enough that most people don't want to help but to continue to knock the game down so they can say i told you so if it ever went under.

If they really wanted to help, then they habitual naysayers would volunteer and put their opinions to good use.

3 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Ok you have read the roadmap, you have read the plan for 1.36 so dont really appreciate you telling lies and simply looking for ways
to create your own little drama fest, think its time for you to go find a new forum to play in David

Merlin if you think the roadmap is a very positive thing for squads then you should be spamming it to every online community that you can. No one seems to know the details of the hybrid system though, just that brigades are staying and there will be some garrisons on some parts of the map. Nothing in the 2018 roadmap announcement about AOs, the related Q&A thread starts off saying the game is moving to EWS/population based AOs, but then in this thread CRS says that no decision has been made yet. Squad missions are of course still off the table.

3 hours ago, pbveteran said:

xD it has nothing to do with flags, at the present you can do all of this probably even better.

Inconsistent, teleporting spawn lists of equipment are one of the main reasons why there aren't big squad ops anymore, and by big I mean the kind of ops that you could use for promotional material. For the small squads it's not as much of an issue.

Funny part to me is people throw huge cash at star citizen and not a concept like this as well.  Imo the game needs the new version coupled with all the past lessons learned on hc, toe, ao.  

Love

Oj 

14 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Im a volunteer but what does that have to do with it?

No, i don't play any other games, nor do i care to.

I've been subbed to on and off and have been playing this game for close to 15 years.

Free to play with microtransactions won't work and CRS has already stated there are no plans to cater to the pay2win crowd.

This is a niche game for a small group of WWII fans and catering to the ADD kiddies was tried and didn't really work.

I've been around long enough that most people don't want to help but to continue to knock the game down so they can say i told you so if it ever went under.

If they really wanted to help, then they habitual naysayers would volunteer and put their opinions to good use.

I was just saying, considering your job duties are likely assisting those new people coming into this game, it hardly makes sense for you to have the viewpoint of your other post. In fact, I'm not surprised you have no experience with other games or what their pricing is like - your outlook in your other post is sure to kill this game slowly by only further isolating it if it were to be exercised.

I do agree with you that a free to play with microtransactions or pay-2-win structure a la World of Tanks will not work with this game. However, it's pretty evident the subscription model currently in place isn't working, either. What would likely fair better would be an entirely free to play game with an anti-grind premium status to be obtained daily, monthly, yearly, however the customer would like, which would boost point rewards for rank (and thus unit) gain, and entice the player to subscribe with an increasingly grind-y experience through the ranks once they're "hooked."

Lastly, you have a pretty negative viewpoint on a large group of players because of the examples of a few, which is tainting your opinion for the worse. Also, most people I know don't have much time to play their favorite video games, let alone volunteer their time to assist with those games' needs. Just some food for thought...

The reason squads started pulling out of the game is because CRS at the time started an overt effort to diminish squad effectiveness in favor of catering to the instant action FPS market which they thought would draw in more players. As a consequence they lost the role playing and  social aspect of the game that kept many individuals drawn to the relationships they had formed. Many subscribers would log in every night and perform seemingly mundane duties simply to reinforce their "team". Members of a squad would maintain memberships even though they could not justify paying for the actual time spent doing game play, and family members who did not enjoy or could not master FPS combat bought subscriptions because it supported the squads overall success.  The trap became that those instant action FPS's were never satisfied with how quickly they could attain personal success and without the role playing aspect of the game to reinforce the lowered graphics, weapon development, and software development of newer games quickly moved on. Older players who were drawn to the original concept of strategic game play were dismayed and disgruntled.

I am excited at many of the recent developments that the new management has put in place. I think they "get it". WWIIOL has enormous potential even without the latest graphics and weapons array. But, if the goal is to develop leaders, then providing the correct tools and objectives is paramount. Mission Leaders need a purpose and making more small objectives in which to utilize tactics towards the overall strategy goals in the game will be a great start. To be good leaders they need the organizational tools to organize groups of mission members towards those objectives. an enhanced UI that offers mission leaders an opportunity to brief members,  detail maps, rally points, set communications, assign duties and ordinance, offer contingency plans before spawning would not be difficult to build and would be a great start in developing both leaders and long term players.

16 hours ago, Jsilec said:

Ce and Oj in the same thread?...very gay

Blah blah blah. Axis should fear the day we are both back in game

Edited by Ce

16 hours ago, Jsilec said:

Ce and Oj in the same thread?...very gay

Js, you should come and play the next campaign.

20 minutes ago, gretnine said:

Js, you should come and play the next campaign.

He will soon because he won’t be able to resist the absolute carnage coming towards the Axis soon

Edited by Ce

On 3/20/2018 at 7:27 AM, Ce said:

Blah blah blah. Axis should fear the day we are both back in game

Why would Axis fear OJ? If I'm not mistaken OJ lead the Sturmgrenadier, after Diddy and Pgregory .

Unless OJ was Allied at one time , which I have no knowledge of.

4 hours ago, dre21 said:

Why would Axis fear OJ? If I'm not mistaken OJ lead the Sturmgrenadier, after Diddy and Pgregory .

Unless OJ was Allied at one time , which I have no knowledge of.

He was in AEF for a long time

1 hour ago, Pittpete said:

I wish #6 would come back also.....He was a good player

Good tanker too