Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ltarflak

Air quake...once again

11 posts in this topic

I am getting very tired of spawning in and getting eradicated, after a while it gets old. I tried moving out of the AB, came out of a CP, tried hiding all of that BS....enjoy the Airquake at damvillers ! 

24 minutes ago, bogol said:

Where is the Luftwaffles? 

no one flies anymore, only 1 to 3 LW is ever flying 

Until they fix the 20mm cannons on the LW planes, you will not see a lot of LW. We learned from the FMS's being taken down with one pass by the allied cannons that the allied cannons are FAR more powerful. They finally acknowledged it after years of refuting it because the evidence was right there for everyone to see.....yeah, after years of being told I had no idea what I was talking about....leaves a sour taste. I will never fly LW again until they fix that BS. So get used to airquake until 'soon' comes along.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, sixpence said:

We learned from the FMS's being taken down with one pass by the allied cannons that the allied cannons are FAR more powerful.

The FMS went down due to taking damage from the HE rounds in the belting
So part depends on the belting make up.
If the FMS was made to take XX amount of HE hits regardless of caliber, Who ever gets more HE hits takes it down in seemingly less shots because non of
your non HE rounds count.

And since the FMS took 60 HE hits from either R35 or Tiger to go down, i would say that probably is how the FMS was working, it should have ignored AC cannons all together, now it ignores all HE except satchel and i think bombs.

So if the MG 151/20 belting is something like
 APT - HEIT - HEIT - MG - MG, and if the MG is not considered HE (by the FMS that is, which didnt seem to consider APHE HE or Mortars either)
In 40 rounds you have potential for only 16 HE hits

And if the Hispano 20 is belted something like
HET - AP - HE - AP, then in 40 hits you have the potential for 20 HE events
That is 4 more hits in just 40 rounds

And that simply tells us that the FMS was flawed because it should not have paid any attention to AC cannon rounds anyways

And yes, the Hispano is a heavier 20mm cannon than the MG151/20 or MG/FF
MG151 can fire faster 700 to 750 rpm as opposed to around 620 - 650 rpm

Hispano 20×110mm is something like

HE/HET
mass = 130g
Charge = 14g
speed = 860fps

AP
mass = 170g
speed = 880fps

MG 151/20  20×82mm is (And MG/FF, fires slower and at less velocity than the MG 151)

APIT
mass = 117g
speed = 705

HEIT
mass = 113g
Charge = 2.3g  (plus another like 2g incendiary)
speed = 800fps

MG
mass = 95g
Charge = 18.6 g
speed = 805fps

So, yes, the Hispano has less firing rate, but more velocity and a heavier round, so it is going farther, and deliver more KE damage.
And it has more per round explosive content.

The Minengeschoss rounds explode better but are very light and are going to drop quickly and lack penetration due to both the weight and the fact they are very thin shelled rounds, so they need closer range than where you see your APT and HEIT tracers going.
But the axis gun carries more overall HE type rounds (and enemy aircraft dont discriminate between one form of HE or another like an FMS) so if you get
in close to keep all your MG rounds hitting the target, you do have more potential for blowing something off the enemy plane.
You have less potential at any range for pure KE damage and overall penetration.

The Hispano has more potential for putting one through the pilot armor at longer range, and getting a lesser amount of long range HE hits
to do more damage on a per round basis as well as the HE having better chance to make a penetration at range.

There is no "Fix" for that, they simply are what they are.
Would be like fixing the B1 because its 75mm gets outshot constantly by the panthers 75mm
75mm is about the only thing the 2 have in common.

HE audit will definitely make the axis belting more interesting, but it is also going to make the hispano's 20mm HE
more interesting as well.

And scotsman or bmbm could probably explain the ammo much better, ive probably flubbed something somewhere

Ok, if you insist, ahem:

The Stug's ability to take down an FMS quick was justified because with such a short gun it has uhh... self esteem issues.

3 minutes ago, biggles4 said:

Ok, if you insist, ahem:

The Stug's ability to take down an FMS quick was justified because with such a short gun it has uhh... self esteem issues.

What exactly was the damage limit of a real life FMS in WWII?

21 minutes ago, saronin said:

THey dont exist

1 hour ago, saronin said:

What do you mean, an African or a European FMS?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0