• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
delems

Cap times terrible.

138 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

@Ce  I just updated the server and added these rules to the live game.

You’re welcome.

Very kind of you sir lol

3 hours ago, lipton said:

CRS needs to try my idea of sending FTP to the underpop side.

It only sends over the riflemen, if they even amount to that many?
Does not address armor units naval units air units, other infantry types.

Except in T0, i dont seem to shoot too many bolt riflemen, so i dont know if we have a huge number of free players
for it to have much effect?

I mean you could definitely try it, could not possibly harm anything, just dont know if the effect would be big enough?

Not really sure why people are so stubborn with evening the sides anyways.
Big SD, long cap timers, not many guys to shoot at?
Log out grab a soda and a sandwich, come back, log back in and pick the underpop side.
Lots of targets, no delays, see how many friends you can shoot etc.

On 3/21/2018 at 1:14 AM, delems said:

Whole squad logging out - 7.5 min capture timers are unbearable.

Why whole squad not reconvene on the underpop side? problem solved then.
How come this seems so hard? :( 

Edited by merlin51

1 hour ago, merlin51 said:

Why whole squad not reconvene on the underpop side? problem solved then.
How come this seems so hard? :( 

they don't want to all get booted by each other

1 hour ago, major0noob said:

they don't want to all get booted by each other

So dont kick them?
I dont know why we have to do that

Maybe a timer tweek is on order, but the concept is solid. Campaigns over in 2 weeks is dumb. Lets face it numbers are not strong and having a low pop tz dictate the campaign isnt good for the game either.

1 hour ago, choad said:

Maybe a timer tweek is on order, but the concept is solid. Campaigns over in 2 weeks is dumb. Lets face it numbers are not strong and having a low pop tz dictate the campaign isnt good for the game either.

I dunno I'd think a good length would be in the 4-6 week range myself.  

1 person likes this

At least everyone is in game and not starring at a timer out of game. AKA spawn delay. Man I remember the spawn delay threads years ago and was a big fan of using capture and movement timers to help slow the roll and get everyone in game. It fell on deaf ears. It’s good to hear/read that the new team had the smarts to give it a go.

!S to the new Rat team you guys were left with a mess from the old team and glad to you guys are cleaning it up. Some day “soon” I shall be returning , but in the meantime I will be activating my account in support of the best dam game on the planet.

ez out-

On 3/24/2018 at 7:17 AM, ezrelay said:

I miss you hard fighting [censored]!

Talk dirty to me lol :P

On 3/22/2018 at 1:02 AM, major0noob said:

NEW: Balancing Capture Timers (according to imbalance)

When there is an imbalance starting at 1% (up to 50%), the following will occur:

• Underpopulated side receives bonus faster capture speed by X%
  • Overpopulated side receives penalty slower capture speed by X%

So for example, if there is a 25% population difference, the following will occur:

• Underpopulated side = 25% faster capture timers
  • Overpopulated side = 25% slower capture timers

remove overpop penalty and increase underpop bonus... all carrot no stick

I think this is one of the ideas I purposed in another thread about 1-2 wks ago............but it did not include a penalty for the overpop only a bonus for the underpop.  Overpop timers shoud stay as they were and not increase only the underpop should have the bonus.

Been out of the loop as I was away for 2 weeks on vacation :mellow:

*** I think this is one of the ideas I purposed in another thread about 1-2 wks ago...

The problem with this is it goes way way to far in penalizing the over pop side.

So, I have 30 players you have 20 players - now my capture times are 7.5 min and yours are 2.5 min.

Is that fair?  I have 50% more players, but a 300% capture penalty!  (actually more than that because of SD and FMS run time - but we'll zero them out for now)

Now, if I have 50% more players - and a 50% capture penalty - that sounds more reasonable.

What needs to happen is scaling must be toned down.

So, at even pop, everything same - but when a side is 50% over pop - they have a 50% penalty. (again, right now they have a 300% penalty)

This is easily achieved by changing the scaling rate from 1% to 0.4%; then instead of 2.5 and 7.5 min at max pop; it will be 4 min and 6 min; far more reasonable.

I applaud the effort to fix issues - but the current capture scheme went to far and is to slow (hence boring on map).

Then of course, the whole base capture time is completely wrong too, way to slow - but that is a separate issue we can deal with another time.

Edited by delems

4 minutes ago, delems said:

*** I think this is one of the ideas I purposed in another thread about 1-2 wks ago...

The problem with this is it goes way way to far in penalizing the over pop side.

So, I have 30 players you have 20 players - now my capture times are 7.5 min and yours are 2.5 min.

Is that fair?  I have 50% more players, but a 300% capture penalty!  (actually more than that because of SD and FMS run time - but we'll zero them out for now)

Now, if I have 50% more players - and a 50% capture penalty - that sound more reasonable.

What needs to happen is scaling must be toned down.

So, at even pop, every thing same - but when a side is 50% over pop - they have a 50% penalty. (again, right now they have a 300% penalty)

This is easily achieved by changing the scaling rate from 1% to 0.4%; then instead of 2.5 and 7.5 min at max pop; it will be 4 min and 6 min; far more reasonable.

Then of course, the whole base capture time is completely wrong to, way to slow - but that is a separate issue we can deal with another time.

I guess you didnt read my whole post above..........my concept was to only increase the bonus to the underpop while keeping the OVERPOP caps the same as is was.  Never did I mention a penalty in either posts.

*** increase the bonus to the underpop

This is the same as saying a penalty to the over pop side in the net effect, but won't quibble.

I do agree, it looks much better when over pop is not beaten down, but rather the under pop side if lifted up.

Let’s take this to a sport for a second which will probably scare some of you desk dwellers lol. Omg fresh air and sunshine...... :D

Anyway, if a team doesn’t show up to play, that team forfeits. I don’t agree with participation medals just like I don’t agree with crutches. If the Axis or Allies don’t want to show and hold their towns, it sucks but that’s their own fault. Sometimes like life, it’s 4 steps forward and 17 back. I’ve been consistent with this since I first saw spawn delay and cap timers. 

24 minutes ago, Ce said:

Let’s take this to a sport for a second which will probably scare some of you desk dwellers lol. Omg fresh air and sunshine...... :D

Anyway, if a team doesn’t show up to play, that team forfeits. I don’t agree with participation medals just like I don’t agree with crutches. If the Axis or Allies don’t want to show and hold their towns, it sucks but that’s their own fault. Sometimes like life, it’s 4 steps forward and 17 back. I’ve been consistent with this since I first saw spawn delay and cap timers. 

I dont think it's people not showing up thats so much the problem but the people who switch sides during the current map due to the side that has the advantage population wise and you have the different timezone populations that can cause problems.........at least thats my guess.

You have your diehard Axis who will never or rarely switch sides............you have your Allies who will never or rarely switch sides........you have temporary switchers who stay 3-4 maps and switch after that time (thats me) ............and you have your hourly hoppers or people who want to play the winning side.

28 minutes ago, bmw said:

.and you have your hourly hoppers or people who want to play the winning side.

Why cant we have people who want to play whomever shows as underpop?
No spawn delay, no extended timers, plenty of targets.

Other games give you no choice in the matter, play side as needed or dont play at all.
Ours does not force that in an absolute way, but it does do things to let you know roughly how badly the side imbalance is
and even offers incentives for balancing.

When one side if way overpop, that's when i actually get lots of kills rather than just lots of deaths
cause there are 7 guys pushing eachother out of the way to shoot me

Edited by merlin51

*** Why cant we have people who want to play whomever shows as underpop?

Because it runs completely 100% against the supposedly goals of this game... team play.

Our greatest need is belonging, side switchers are orphans and outcasts; in the wild, orphans die.

Belonging means you have some loyalty, purpose.  It is the reason for squads, and teaming, isn't it?

It would seem you are saying forget teaming and loyalty - just play a shooter game... is that all this is?

When I played BHD, it was just a shooter game, and I played both sides equally.

This game is not just a shooter game, I thought squads were suppose to mean something (could a fooled me though- they get nothing in game but the puniest of perks).

If the company would stop talking teaming, stop talking squads and actually act on it - I'd believe it.

In fact, maybe that is the problem, the game needs to be rebranded as a WWII shooter game.

Forget sides, remove squads - just log into the underpop side and shoot it out, no side loyalty, automatic login to under pop side (over pop will cease to exist as sides will always be balanced).....   Hmm, maybe I'm onto something here.

Edited by delems

16 hours ago, bmw said:

I dont think it's people not showing up thats so much the problem but the people who switch sides during the current map due to the side that has the advantage population wise and you have the different timezone populations that can cause problems.........at least thats my guess.

You have your diehard Axis who will never or rarely switch sides............you have your Allies who will never or rarely switch sides........you have temporary switchers who stay 3-4 maps and switch after that time (thats me) ............and you have your hourly hoppers or people who want to play the winning side.

I partly agree but that’s a dynamic that will never change. I do t think spawn delay or cap timers are the answer to that solution as it just causes rage quitting and rightly so. The underpop side usually has multi targets which Merlin pointed out and people like that, me especially. I always enjoyed the odd underpop stint as me and my Sherman racked up the kills. Personally I think CRS are stuck between a rock and a hard place with this because they will never make everyone happy, however they do need to just put there foot down on a solution and if people don’t like it, deuces.

44 minutes ago, Ce said:

however they do need to just put there foot down on a solution and if people don’t like it, deuces.

This is a far too common mindset observed in this public forum, often written by veterans who have next to no current play time or are occasionally seen complaining about server population themselves. Don't you have any idea what new players who might want to try this game think when they see this sort of stuff? :huh:

11 minutes ago, major0noob said:

Just get rid of the penelty...

Yes.  No penalty for overpop just a bonus for underpop.