• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
delems

Cap times terrible.

138 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Memoi said:

Last night, Tuesday, I was capping the railway station in Dun.  It was taking so long to cap, I went and made a drink (a G&T with ice and lemon), fed the cats and went to the loo.  When I came back I'd almost capped the CP!

I understand the reasons for the variable cap timers, but they're a bit too long now. 

Luxury.

The last time I went to cap a Axis cp... it was also in our own town and took me and about 25 other allies about an hour to cap it back and it was not even the spawnable!

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

What if we update the capture building and block the rear exit with sandbags ? Also on the blown version of the building. It will be easier to defend from the inside. 

adding a murder hole or internal window on the right after the main entry would be cool as well. Eventually limit the capping area to the old radio room like in the new bunker

1522225700-sans-titre.png

So we want to make the caps even harder. Right.

If we think we are living on a stalemate now, wait to see if we deploy things like this...

Please, no.

22 minutes ago, erasmo said:

If we think we are living on a stalemate now, wait to see if we deploy things like this...

Please, no.

Can't we with the PPO kinda achieve this scenario?  I think a few well placed PPO and getting into a CP will be so much harder then just running through the door. ( I will see next time I log in what is possible)  yeah under attack it be harder to set the PPO that's why it kinda needs to be set as soon as the warning of the EWS goes into affect.

2 hours ago, erasmo said:

Please, no.

Isn’t the problem that the overpop side see the same guy coming back 10 times before ending their cap ?

I would support real area control with the same logics as the new bunkers.

11 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

What if we update the capture building and block the rear exit with sandbags ? Also on the blown version of the building. It will be easier to defend from the inside. 

adding a murder hole or internal window on the right after the main entry would be cool as well. Eventually limit the capping area to the old radio room like in the new bunker

1522225700-sans-titre.png

I think rather than do that, i would simply go with a new depot office design.
With the above you have (in theory) near 0 chance of breaching entry past the murderhole if you give the guy sitting in it enough extra ammo
to spray at will.
The angles and door frame openings prevent doing much, outside of stupid luck, to remove him.

Have to have a good chance of both defending and breaching or the fun is lopsided.

12 hours ago, XOOM said:

This was our first implementation which had limited effect. Overpopulation must have an increased capture timer to work properly.

Yeah I forgot to say "pulled from the site"

Increased cap times are nothing but suck, for overpop, for underpop, for even pop, for everyone.

Just give underpop a cap bonus

19 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

I think rather than do that, i would simply go with a new depot office design.
With the above you have (in theory) near 0 chance of breaching entry past the murderhole if you give the guy sitting in it enough extra ammo
to spray at will.
The angles and door frame openings prevent doing much, outside of stupid luck, to remove him.

Have to have a good chance of both defending and breaching or the fun is lopsided.

Right, although with a smoke grenade can help.

so just sandbagging the rear exit ? Limiting the area capture ? 

20 minutes ago, major0noob said:

Just give underpop a cap bonus

From what I read from XOOM's comment was in order for it to work properly there had to be a increase to overpop timers.........

But yes the ideal situation would be bonus to underpop only.

Edited by bmw

1 minute ago, Zebbeee said:

Right, although with a smoke grenade can help.

so just sandbagging the rear exit ? Limiting the area capture ? 

The over all building design doesnt lend itself well to it.
You got good ideas, it's just that the building itself as currently layed out isn't good for it.
A lot of it would be wasted unused space with no fun value, the entrance would be overly difficult to breach with the best of efforts.

The depot offices would be a good candidate for a new capture building purposely engineered for both fun defending and breaching.
They were designed around table humping, time for a new design.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:41 PM, bmw said:

From what I read from XOOM's comment was in order for it to work properly there had to be a increase to overpop timers.........

But yes the ideal situation would be bonus to underpop only.

Disagree.

Part of the effect IS to give underpop a chance to clear the target building, leaving multiple player speed capping in place as is would just give overpop advantage.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, Ce said:

I’ve never complained about population really, even since 05. I’ve earned my stripes and than some over the years to publicly state my opinion. Bottom line is we as a community have lost a bunch of players and players that have built this game to what it is today and we as a community are likely going to lose more unless something is done. I’ll say this until I’m blue in the face, spawn delay and cap restrictions are not the answer. Once a solution is presented, stick with it and move forward regardless of the outcome.

You're on the wrong side of this one Ce.  

The timer numbers are too high, but this is making underpop attack possible.  That literally DOUBLES the action.

Underpop side attacking?? In this game?? Perhaps in tz1 it might work..in tz3 its a recipe for losing spawns and bunkers...witness Mouzon yesterday.

I'm not seeing much difference in the flow of the game with ANY of the changes that have been made. Bottom line... The over-pop side rolls and wins.

It will never make sense to me that the producers of a game allow one side to outnumber the other to the point of making the game unfair. Mind-boggling. 

Even more Mind-boggling is how this game has survived this long with over-pop being allowed to the point that it ruins the fun. I guess it speaks to the potential of the game.

Wasted potential. Dashed hopes. But we keep hoping. 

Edited by lipton

Not to call anyone out specifically, but those being the most vocal about side balances
and asking the most for a mandatory forced fix of some sort also appear to have the least ventures across sides (to the point of none).

21 hours ago, Tman said:

Mouzon was 4 hour battle so there was more to it than just cap timers.

S!

Was not there but did it involve tigers on the SW hill blowing the crap out of everything in the AB first?  I hate defending that town in T3... but TBH, its been a very long time since I fought there until last week. I got a Zook in the middle of them and destroyed one and it was like ants scattering all over the place. SO friggen funny as the panic set in.

I think switching sides is fine. However, we always hear that squads are what makes the game "go". I think that is true as well. Obviously if you are invested in a squad you are not switching sides. Most of the squads that play both sids, commit to a side per campaign. I think that is how it should be!

So whats the answer? Um not sure. I would extend the side lock to more than it is now. Maybe 12 hours. I think the net effect may be a wash. I mean, for every player who wants to help the under pop side, there is probably a player who goes to over pop side because he wants to pile on and "shoot the fish in a barrel".

I think the only answer to lessen the effect is to get more players in game. The imbalance is magnified when u have literally 20-30 players across the map who are active. I mean, a defensive force can effectivelly defend a town outnumbered 2 to 1 so long as they have a minimal number of people to cover cps and get out and blow a mobile spawn at the same time.

3 minutes ago, choad said:

I think switching sides is fine. However, we always hear that squads are what makes the game "go". I think that is true as well. Obviously if you are invested in a squad you are not switching sides.

I don't see why not?

Squad leader sees pop balance is way off, their normal side is having a long SD
ok need 5 guys, or 10 guys (obviously would depend on squad pop) to run opposition.
Squad award for whoever scores most kills on the XO

Or if it is a small squad, just make the call change of plans, tonight we are going to the target rich environment.

True but lately we have 5-6 players that do the hard work and the rest getting shot over and over and then either

(1) log off in disgust, and leave the game 

(2) log off then go to the overpop side and make it worse

(3) say screw this and manage to find the ems or get a fms from a rear town and backdoor the enemy fb (after killing an ems an running down an opel with your mate in the back, forcing the opel to stop and turning it into a rolling ball of flame) . Then hot dropping the fb with one engineer..waiting for the tigers  to spawn and move off. THEN get a fms to town..recap the spawn. Spawn an atg kill the tiger camping the spawn..

...and watch the bunker go axis as the five defenders cant get to the bunkers single entrance.

And STILL crs ignores the playerbase issues. Tz3 esp is rush bunker then camp. This is what our game has come too...no wonder there is a mass exodus of subs.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, dropbear said:

And STILL crs ignores the playerbase issues. Tz3 esp is rush bunker then camp. This is what our game has come too...no wonder there is a mass exodus of subs.

@dropbearmate, all’s fair in love & war. 

I’d argue that the changes implemented this campaign are directly because CRS listened to the playerbase. As for the mass exodus of subs; I can only speak for myself in that our squad has more subbed for quite some time, and I’m certainly not seeing less players online during EU high-pop.

Damned if you, damned if you don’t I guess.

On 4/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, dropbear said:

Underpop side attacking?? In this game?? Perhaps in tz1 it might work..in tz3 its a recipe for losing spawns and bunkers...witness Mouzon yesterday.

Ive been attacked as Axis by underpop Allies- its a real threat, particularly if ignored.

On 4/4/2018 at 0:57 PM, lipton said:

I'm not seeing much difference in the flow of the game with ANY of the changes that have been made. Bottom line... The over-pop side rolls and wins.

It will never make sense to me that the producers of a game allow one side to outnumber the other to the point of making the game unfair. Mind-boggling. 

Even more Mind-boggling is how this game has survived this long with over-pop being allowed to the point that it ruins the fun. I guess it speaks to the potential of the game.

Wasted potential. Dashed hopes. But we keep hoping. 

I think we are far closer to being fair then ever before.  Just need to tweak this thing so offense is easier while still remaining balanced.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:21 PM, Tman said:

Mouzon was 4 hour battle so there was more to it than just cap timers.

S!

If we are  talking the Great Mouzon Campfest, that's what overpop sides should be able to do, use their superior numbers for firepower/maneuver advantage, and underpop can recap fast and threaten an entire town with just a few fast cappers and one gun/tank where it hurts.

moles are just that much more of a pain in the [censored] and unhealthy psycological warfare now....

My take is that spawn timers were introduced to try to prop up the regularly under pop side, which the past 8 months has normally been the allies. Getting rolled every map in 2 to 3 weeks, map after map. This has been a success in terms of achieving the goal (longer campaigns).

Now, according to reports, it seems the axis are losing players because they are not rolling the map as quickly as they have become accustomed to. 

Not sure what the answer is at this point .....