bravo25

Add more lakes near towns?

9 posts in this topic

i flew in the map and saw some lakes that be cool if there were more lakes and seeing a battle take place near one

Interesting.

Truth be told, I really don't recall ever seeing much in the way of lakes or ponds.

Now, as the game is supposed to represent actual Europe...I don't necessarily see the addition of large lakes without some dedicated research on CRSs part. Considreing how swamped they tend to remain, I'm not sure that such a project would make it to the roadmap. That said, a few SMALL ponds/lakes here and there might be feasible, and even fun to have in the game. It would be neat to see how people use them for tactical terrain features.

S!S!S!S!

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

@merlin51lovely idea :)

I would have to take a look and see what is being used to form the few lakes that are on the map.
I have a suspicion that it may have been lack of proper art asset to do them properly why not to many were made and also why you see no smaller
water bodies, just a few largish things.

As Quincannon says, anything of notable size would have to be a real water body, but a little pond here and there could maybe be non descript.

It will be a team effort though as merlin is not terribly good at making the 3d art pieces that they would be created from, my lake would look like
a deformed toxic mess lol.

What i can do at the moment is look and take stock of what art exists that is suitable and what could be made from it and what new art is needed.
I can not say exactly when though, that is something in @XOOM expertise, organizing and scheduling etc.
The art guys are currently working their butts off.

Terrain, as the current construction method of it goes, is not the fastest thing you will see come in game.
Its kind of time consuming, a bit tedious, and has it's own adventures in testing and debugging.
So if you don't see terrain stuff appear super fast, don't feel as if no one is doing it, or it can not be done or what not.
It just takes a lot time, both to create and for the QA guys to check every nook and cranny to make sure you dont get something that sucks.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Quincannon said:

...swamped...

There aren't a lot of significant lakes in France and Belgium, but there are many swamps / wetlands / marshy areas with limited mobility except for foot infantry. 

A key limitation on motorized mobility for the attacking Germans in the Battle of the Bulge was the highland swampy areas of the Schnee Eifel. The lack of east-west roads through the northern marsh-forest part of that area meant that the rear echelons of the German combat units were trying to move forward on the same few narrow roads that were needed for bidirectional movement of supply trucks for the lead echelons...which is why those lead echelons ran out of fuel and ammo before they even got to where they'd have to do serious fighting.

A key  calculation on the part of the Belgian High Command in 1940 was that the very marshy east bank of the Dyle River would allow emplaced, relatively immobile Belgian forces with only small mobile reserves to hold off a German frontal attack, which necessarily would have to be almost entirely infantry since German vehicles could not traverse the marshes to get to the river.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, jwilly said:

There aren't a lot of significant lakes in France and Belgium, but there are many swamps / wetlands / marshy areas with limited mobility except for foot infantry. 

A key limitation on motorized mobility for the attacking Germans in the Battle of the Bulge was the highland swampy areas of the Schnee Eifel. The lack of east-west roads through the northern marsh-forest part of that area meant that the rear echelons of the German combat units were trying to move forward on the same few narrow roads that were needed for bidirectional movement of supply trucks for the lead echelons...which is why those lead echelons ran out of fuel and ammo before they even got to where they'd have to do serious fighting.

A key  calculation on the part of the Belgian High Command in 1940 was that the very marshy east bank of the Dyle River would allow emplaced, relatively immobile Belgian forces with only small mobile reserves to hold off a German frontal attack, which necessarily would have to be almost entirely infantry since German vehicles could not traverse the marshes to get to the river.

I would love to see some of this kind of terrain as well. It would be interesting to have battles that involved such terrain. Imagine FMSs being built in a swampy area, and 232s or Panhards being unable to go hunting for them. It would add a very interesting facet to the game.

S!S!S!

1 person likes this

I loved the idea of small bodies of water (little lakes) but had so few assets (lake tiles) that it never was a priority. I also LOVED the idea of "wetlands" (swamp/marsh etc.) but there was always zero art assets created towards that ability. Unfortunate.

5 hours ago, DOC said:

I also LOVED the idea of "wetlands" (swamp/marsh etc.)

You could just drive a Bedford - driving one feels like you're attempting to plough it through a swamp/marsh? Close your eyes and it's like you're there...