Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sanctify

New Rig

47 posts in this topic

Guys,

I have been playing this game and loving it. I have to get a new rig and really don't know much about building one. I might buy a system from a friend but may need one sooner.

Is there anyone who will help me with a new killer rig. I live in the Bronx, New York city and would love to purchase one from someone.

Can anyone help with this?

pm me for info about building the thing... I live very far from you but computers are the same everywhere... unless you want some in-place help then I can't help u... NY is faaar...

-Polo

Since you're in nyc, once you got a hardware list..., go online and price out each item from a big seller like tirgerdirect.com or newegg.com...,

..., then, get on the phone with the yellow pages and sniff out the best deals.

The core items are cpu, motherboard, Ram memory, graphics card and hard drive.

Monitor too?

The cheaper items like case, power supply, sound card, cd-rom/dvd, floppy drive can be found cheap at discounters.

How much money do you want to spend?

Name a ballpark price and we'll suggest what to get.

Stop in at your local 'puter repair shop and see if you'd trust'em to put it together.

Will take less than an hour,so you'd want to watch them to learn and to make sure they use your parts.

Ratszo

What was the name of the guy here who had Rafter approval to advertise computer building in his sig? Is he still here?

He was selling custom specified rigs at his parts cost, IIRC, and building them for fun.

Plan on purchasing everything across the net..Newegg is great. Post it here. We will approve or disapprove before you purchase Find a Mom and Pop local computer store. They will build it for betting 100 dollars plus or minus. Bring it home, then we will tell you how to get the drivers correct;)

Thanks Guys,

Thats the problem, I don't know where to start. Tell me the parts I should get and i will try to build it. HOw much? Good question. I want a killer system, but i dont think i want to go over 2k. Would lie to stay within 1.5k and 2k.

Please help advise on parts.

WOOHOOO, can't wait to try and build my own rig.

Will you be using it to play other games than WWIIOL? Are those games graphic intensive? If not, you can get a high-end WWIIOL rig for around 1k. I built one for myself for $700 (no monitor) and I average 60 FPS. For money above 1k, the performance will increase, yes, but the cost of doing so increases drastically. If you have the money for 2k, fine, but honestly, there is very little difference between a 2k and 1k system in performance if you know what you're doing.

Do you want dual core? or do you even know? :) provide us with a little more info on what you will be using it for and what you expect of it, and we'll help you. Do you need a monitor as well?

1st and foremost WWII Online. And my video editing. If I could do it for 1k I WOULD LOVE TOO. I want the 60fps.. Please help with the advise!@

This is pretty much what i have.

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1,Build 2600) Service Pack 2

(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Dell Computer Corporation

Dimension 8200

Default System BIOS (A09)

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz (400)

over 1.5 gig of RAM

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 with 128mb ram

Hard Drive Maxtor 300gb

15inch Monitor.

And i get about 19fps on a good day. Drops when you look at towns. I have never used anything beyond a 15 inch monitor. Should I get a bigger one?

if you do a lot of video editing, then perhaps you should get a dual core (but costs more) Personally I like 17in monitors, but it's up to you.

from pricewatch.com

CPU (pick one):

$295 - athlon 64 x2 3800 dual core

$355 - athlon 64 x2 4200 dual core

$455 - athlon 64 x2 4400 dual core

$545 - athlon 64 x2 4600 dual core

$626 - athlon 64 x2 4800 dual core

$1015 - fx60 (fastest CPU on the planet)

If you don't want dual core, cut the price in half...at least

For reference, I got an opteron 144 S939 for $160 (but I overclocked 40%, so it performs much like a $400 chip). I'd get at least the 4200 in the list above if you want dual core.

Video card (pick price level for you)

$140 - geforce 6600 gt agp 128mb

$223 - geforce 6800 gt pci 256mb

$429 - geforce 7800 gtx 256mb pci

For reference, I got the 6600GT

Motherboard will be around $120...you want an Nforce4 board (read reviews at newegg.com,but I can help if you like)

I got a DFI-DAGF

RAM around $120-$200 for 1 GB (again some price range, depends on size too)

Do you need a new HD? Is it SATA or ATA?

I would stick to AMD and Nvidia products, as they on average perform better for WWIIOL. And in the case of AMD you get more bang for the buck.

This is pretty much what i have.

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1,Build 2600) Service Pack 2

(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Dell Computer Corporation

Dimension 8200

Default System BIOS (A09)

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz (400)

over 1.5 gig of RAM

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Hard Drive Maxtor 300gb

15inch Monitor.

lamo!

Indo,

The purpose of the "New Rig" topic was to put me in a position to have a better gaming experience with the advise from my fellow gamers. Thus, acknowledging that the existing system I currently have, that you so dubbed "LAMO" is already understood.

I was asking for expertise for the unknow regarding the objective towards "obtaining a New Rig" not a mono-syllabic grunt from a neophyte.

1 NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - Retail

Model #: ND-3550A BK RT

Item #: N82E16827152055

$42.99 $42.99

ATX Computer Cases

1 COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 RC-532-SKN1 Black Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Model #: RC-532-SKN1

Item #: N82E16811119094

($25.00 Mail-in Rebate)

$69.99

1 Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Model #: WD3200JD

Item #: N82E16822144394

$123.00 $123.00

1 ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Model #: A8N-SLI Premium

Item #: N82E16813131540

$166.99 $166.99

1 eVGA 256-P2-N517-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Model #: 256-P2-N517-AX

Item #: N82E16814130249

($20.00 Mail-in Rebate)

$294.00

1 Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply - Retail

Model #: W0093RU

Item #: N82E16817153028

($15.00 Mail-in Rebate)

$79.99 $79.99

2 CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS2GBKIT400C3 - Retail

Model #: VS2GBKIT400C3

Item #: N82E16820145579

$155.99 $311.98

1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail

Model #: ADA4200BVBOX

Item #: N82E16819103547

$360.00 $360.00

1 Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM

Model #: N09-01528

Item #: N82E16837102059

$93.95 $93.95

Subtotal: $1,542.89

This is without a monitor, keyboard, mouse and floppy. You could add another DVD burner in there and some more hard disks. Firewire is built into the board, so is sound, if you want you could add a soundcard and gain a couple of FPS. Lots of options.

You were kidding about the monitor right? I can't imagine going back to a 15". I picked up a refurbished Dell 21" monitor from Frys for a pittance. Best purchase ever. You can get 19" LCDs for less than $300 if you are short on space.

A good starting place: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3569696

I think you can definitely get a great system for $1k or under. I just ordered the core of a new system myself. I started at Sharkey's and went from there. I also looked at Tom's Hardware, Newegg customer reviews and Anandtech a lot. Great info in all these places, but takes a bit of time to read and make decisions.

Also, I am not the best hardware guru. Or the middle. Frankly, I find making hardware choices a major pain and would rather someone just make me a great system and figure it out for me. But I did have Gophur's help, and he knows a little.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939

Sharkey's recommends in their value system, and the price point is good.

Could have gone dual core, but I don't need that (yet), and I think the prices will come down when I do need/want it.

Cooling & Noise: Quiet, Cool, Fast: Pick any Two.

I'm going to install the stock fan that comes with the CPU to start, but I want quiet and cool. After I get some initial readings, I may spring for a Zalman CPU heatsink and fan. At the first sign of excessive noise, I'm getting rubber grommits for drives, better (slower and bigger) fans, and anything else I can think of to keep the noise and temperature down.

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD

Sharkey's recommends the non-platinum for the value PC, but after reading reviews of people who purchased that version, I realized it had no Firewire (which you'd want for video), so I upgraded to the Platinum, which also has two gigabit ethernet ports (which i don't really need, but they don't hurt).

Going socket 939 for CPU and Mobo should let me upgrade to a good dual core when the time comes.

Video Card:

This is the toughest decision to make right now. The kickass cards are a bit too high. The best dollar value appears to be the GeForce 6600GT, although different manufacturers vary in price and quality. This is where you need to read the reviews of customers on specific cards on Newegg.com. Only there will you see common complaints about heatsinks that fall off, that game won't run F.E.A.R., etc.

I'm also looking for cheap right now. When the high end generation of cards comes down in price a lot, then I'll look to upgrade, but right now, there are a lot of 'decent' cards for $150 and under. If I can get a good year+ out of this, then upgrade (and move this card to another system), I'll be happy.

Generally, the reviews and opinions I read suggest that ATi cards support video work better than nVidia. I've enjoyed my previous ATI cards (7200 and 9700 All-In-Wonder). I've never had an nvidia card on my home machines. I want to be able to easily upload videos to my computer and work with them a bit, but not a full out video editting station, so I leaned ATI.

And I went with: MSI RX1600PRO-TD256E Radeon X1600PRO 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16

Fairly cheap, ATI, and the same manufacturer as the motherboard. That can't hurt. I may be totally wrong, but it's still a cheap card.

Memory: CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200).

Two gigs. Cheap. Name brand. And I can always upgrade, especially as prices go down.

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160812A 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100

Seagate = Quiet and reliable. This drive is under $100, 160gigs on a single platter from a well-respected HD manufacturer, very popular with the quiet pc crowd (which I'm increasingly sensitive too at home).

All that: just under $700 via Newegg.com

Case: Already have an Antec that is roomy and I can use.

There's a lot of buzz about the Antec P180 that the guys at SilentPCReview helped design, but also some minor complaints (check the newegg reviews). It also puts the powersupply at the bottom of the case in a separate chamber. While I'm open to changing a case later, particularly if my current one gets to noisy, I didn't want the hassle and potential problem of running the cables funny - I've had a lot of pains with cables too short.

Optical Drives: (CDs, DVDs, etc.)

I already have a DVD/CD burner that is fine. Cost me $35 a year ago on Newegg.

Floppy Drive: The 'cool' people seem to think this is unnecessary these days. However, I find that sometimes I need to transport a small file to an old computer (because family tech support never ends) or to Kinko's to get high quality prints of something. It couldn't hurt. They cost $10. I've got a stack of them on hand.

Keyboard: All the kids want the 1337 glow in the dark stuff. Looks good for a minute. After 30 minutes, who cares? I've also adapted to the MS Natural keyboard (the slightly curvy one). Seems to fit my hands well and I think I type faster with it. Certainly feels better on my wrists and hands. In the year that I've been using it, I haven't noticed any wrist problems, where it was a continuing nag in the previous years (though I'm also getting into 'Old Bastiche' territory). I think my next keyboard upgrade will be to those chording things in which you don't actually move your hands at all. :)

Mouse: Never buy an expensive mouse sight unseen. Go to the local store and try 'em out. Optical ones are good, even though I find it easiest on my wrist to still put them on a pad when I'm doing something that requires a lot of mouse work (but then, I could use a better chair at the desk too).

Case Mods: lights, cutouts, chrome, etc. Uh....no. Pimp your ride, fine. Pimp not your case lest it be offended and retaliate.

Monitors: Dell 2001FP. This monitor kicks tukas. Watch the price on these on Dell. They often drop it by a lot for periods of a couple of days, and you can get one for ~$400. I know at least 5 people who are incredibly happy with these, and I am too.

As gamers, we all like the AMD 64 socket 939.

Any of the single core cpus smoke this game.

Venice core, San Diego, FX-, take your pick according to budget. (i got a 3000+ venice)

MSI makes good motherboards, Neo4 nForce4, they also have a great support forum. (i got a neo-2 )

If you got the cash, go for the nvidia 7800, it's just that much better a card, it's worth the money. (i got a 6800)

Corsair value ram. 2x1gb. sticks teh win.

Call around, if you can't get a deal in new york, you can't get a deal anywhere. (from Queens)

Ratszo

Just browsed tirgerdirect and came up with this for the core units,

DESCRIPTION QTY AVAILABILITY UNIT PRICE TOTAL

CP1-A64-3700 E :: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Processor with Fan (1 lbs)

In Stock $259.99 $259.99

[great 1mb 'sandy' core.]

M452-2808 :: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nVidia Socket 939 Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA (3 lbs)

In Stock $129.99 $129.99

P450-7808 :: XFX GeForce 7800 GT 256MB DDR3 PCI Express Video Card with FREE COD2 PC Game (1.5 lbs)

In Stock $299.99 $299.99

[good price]

C13-2920 :: Corsair Value Select 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (0.5 lbs)

In Stock $84.99 x2: $169.98

[very good price 2x1gig]

C44-3232 :: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI Sound Card (2 lbs)

In Stock $119.99 $119.99

[included a sound card, 'cause as a gamer, you're gonna want one to ensure peak performance]

Wondering 'bout the need to buy a hard drive..., could use the one in your old rig?

Same with the cd-rom, floppy drives from the old rig.

You'll need a new power supply --the 7800 is power hungry-- for $50-80 bucks.

Noticed tigerdirect.com doesn't charge NY sales tax fyi.

..., and if you do it yourself, buy a tube of 'arctic silver' heat paste to mount the heatsink to the cpu.

good luck,

Ratszo

You can save around 40% if you build it yourself. It's also very educational.

I built my first one this fall, VERY EDUCATIONAL, and it was alot of fun. Nothing more fun than turning on and it working

There are good Cases with Antec or Aspire Powersupplies. 520 Watt Aspire are good. Shop locally for a case with/without Powersupplies.

AMD XP3700 San Diego cores are cheaper than the 4200

A8N_SLI Board is great

Any Nvida 7800GT is good

1 gig of memory is enought to play ww2ol Buy Matched sets Muskin, Corsair, Kingston

New 80gig or better SATA Hard Drive, can be found for 70 dollars

Audigy 4 Soundcard 99.00

I got Chip, Board, Vidcard, 1 gig memory 80gig SATA drive for little more than 800.00 at newegg. Aspire 520 watt PS for 55.00 on sale. Kept case and CD/DVD, floppy, monitor.

HOLY NEW BAT RIG!

Sheesssh guys, you don't play. I really thank you for the advise. I will start pieces the pc together and come back with a list for your approval. Thank you so very much.

AMD 64 4000+ San Diego $334.00

Asus A8N Premium Socket 939 Motherboard $167.00

Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM (512X2) $100

Corsair XMS PC 3200 RAM (512X2) $100

Aspire X navigator Case $154.00

PC Power and Cooling 510 power supply $209

NEC ND 3550 DVD burner $39

Sony Floppy Drive $10

Seagate Barracudda 160 GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard drive $83

Seagate Barracudda 160 GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard drive $83

eVGA GeForce 7800GT $270

eVGA GeForce 7800GT $270

Windows Home Edition OS $100

plus shipping

Total $1,919.00 all from www.newegg.com

The only way I would go....although I might go another $500 and upgrade the processor to an AMD FX 57.

Good Luck!

rolltide...out!

DING, DING, DING, DING,

Looks like we have a winner! Thanks Rolltide. Guys, I will use rolltides list as a starting point.

Any rec. for or against any of the Rolltide parts. Will love your input.

Rolltide, question for you. You have the eVGA GeForce 7800GT listed twice. Was that intentional?

I think Rolltide is talking about running in SLI (two great videocards working together). Expensive, but that's some video power. I can't bring myself to pay nearly $2k for a computer....yet. :)

I got my new system mentioned above running last night with Gophur's help (he loves to assemble computers). It is running, as we say, "Like a Scalded Dog." 2 gigs of ram is great!

Was playing at St. Vith last night at maximum quality settings as a rifleman - FPS consistently in the high teens. And I haven't begun to tweak yet. :)

Only problem for me is the old crappy case fans I have are too loud.

As I've mentioned in other threads, WWII Online in SLI mode does not give you any benefit (it'll give you about 40% less FPS). I have tested this thoroughly using http://www.nhancer.com/ I ran WWIIOL with each compatibility flag and OpenGL flag ticked individually (about 60 of them) and could never find the magic bit that would let SLI mode process the graphics engine.

The short of it is, don't get SLI mode for WWIIOL because it runs faster with 1 card.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0