• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sanctify

New Rig

47 posts in this topic

I would drop one of those 7800s and get a 19" LCD monitor instead. You can always add another video card later.

Also you might want to consider a dual core chip. It could make a big difference when you are editing video since you can dedicate one core to that task.

The guys are correct, I listed the 7800Gt's twice if you wanted to go SLI. As stated SLI does not benefit this game, so you could drop one of the video cards if you wish.

The case also comes with a 500 watt aspire power supply. You could do your build using that one and drop the PC power and cooling 510. I have had bad luck using stock power supplies so I always upgrade from the beginning...your mileage may varry ;).

Good luck on your build, it can a very rewarding experience!

One last thing, be sure and order some artic silver thermal paste to replace the stock stuff you will get .

rolltide...out!

Ahhh,

I really don't want to spend 2k if i don't have too and i love the idea of a 19inch monitor. So does anyone want to give me a shopping list again or the list mentioned by rolltide the way to go.

Looking to pull trigger soon on building PC. BTW, I love that Aspire X navigator case. It sure looks like eye candy. I read the reviews on Newegg.com and the love the look and thought it was an all round great case. However, cons show flimsy door and bad PSU. Obviously I would get another PSU as rec. by rolltide.

4000+ San Diego or 4400+ X2 (4800 X2 if you have the cash)

ASUS A8N Premium

EVGA 7800GT N517

2x 150G Raptor

ANTEC TruePower II 550w

2x1G Corsair TwinX Cas2

DVD Burner

Floppy

OS Go Pro

Zalman 7700

By the time you need SLI for games you can buy a new single card that will be cheaper and out perform the dual cards. I like the no chipset fan on the ASUS board thats why i picked that one, not for the SLI.

7800GTX over priced for the power gain over 7800GT

2x1G over 4x512 SOme mobo's have issues with 4 slots bieng full.

Dont skimp on power supply, A quality PSU will keep it stable.

A few changes to Rolltides rig

1. Drop one 7800 (-$270)

2. Change the processor to Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester (+$26)

3. Change the power supply to Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

$79 (-$120)

4. Add ViewSonic VA902b Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116363

$279

5. Change one of the drives to Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB for your captured video http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144394

$123 (+$40)

$45 less than rolltide original

Will begin building it in a month. or... if i can convince the wife to open newegg credit account

HMMMMMMM

Sanctify says:

"Hi Honey, can we open a newegg account? I just want to build a computer, it should cost more than $1,500.00."

Ms Sanctify replies:

"CREDIT IS NOT MONEY and we bought that computer four years ago. It's still good!"

LOL,

Cross your fingers boys and lets hope i do the newegg credit. LOL

THANK YOU EVERYONE,

I will start this project ASAP! TY TY TY

One question. This is my first RIG, and i have opened a computer before and added hardware, software, ram etc, so i know what the computer typically has inside.

I will go to Newegg.com order all the pieces listed, have it delivered, and put them together. Any building tips, concerns or advise I should know about before I do this. Thermal paste, non-static conditions etc.

All statements are welcomed.

You guys are the best. I am so itching to order today!

I WANT MY NEW RIG.

Crisp Salute

Boots Clicked twice

setting the CPU on the motherboard can be tricky. Read up on that. That's about the only big thing that can go wrong.

kotch is right, the CPU is the trickiest part. I recommend getting the retail boxed version that comes with a fan/heatsink, that way you don't have to worry about correctly applying thermal compound.

This guide has some video demonstrating each step...

http://www.bbcworld.com/content/clickonline_archive_PC.asp?pageid=666&co_pageid=1

And here's another comprehensive guide...

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/1/

you will need to change your ram timming from auto (CAS3) to Cas2.5-3-3-6 and also bump the voltage to 2.75. Check the Corsair website for the exact changes. I have the same mobo and had to change ram timmings with my corsair ram.

Whoaaa, HOLY SMOKE! Guys, not to be a dweeb about this, do you think it is a waste of time. Sheesh, I would hate to put out money to blow it on incorrect use of thermal paste or correct setting.

I am still itching to do this. LOL

You guys have been great.

OH on another note, my crappy computer actually got better fps the other night. I have a cable modem to access the internet and I have always connected to the cable modem via usb. But on a recent purchase of a router, I was forced to use ethernet connection. NOW, I am seeing FPS of 40 or greatet at times. Wow, can't wait to see this game hum with the new computer.

Thanks for all the help. Please keep it coming, I will be pulling trigger soon.l

Don't panic. :)

You can avoid any thermal paste issues by getting the retail box version of the processor. It really is pretty straight forward, we just want to ensure a sucessful first build.

RAM timing is something you can worry about once the PC is up and running. And it is not going to kill you to run at CAS 3 instead of 2.5 until you are comfortable about making the changes in BIOS.

edit: typo

Don't panic. :)

You can avoid any thermal paste issues by getting the retail box version of the processor. It really is pretty straight forward, we just want to ensure a sucessful first build.

RAM timing is something you can worry about once the PC is up and running. And it is not going to kill you to run at CAS 3 instead of 2.5 until you are comfortable you about making the changes in BIOS.

True, not noticable with the rig that rolltide posted. Its like Legos. Just follow the instructions the mobo gives you.

If you really want SLI and plan on using it in the future with fast GPUs get the SLI32 over the premium, but as i posted earlier, a single card in the future will out perform 2 current card by the time software will catch up.

Sanctify:if that's the mobo that you want to go with..........check this forum which is for the Asus A8N Sli deluxe mobo. You WILL have to register for any access. Thay have complete write-ups on what parts to purchase with that mobo & a complete set-up guide for bios settings,etc.

http://mental18.phpbbweb.com/index.php?mforum=mental18

the only difference between a "deluxe" and a "premium" is the chip set cooler on the premium is a heat pipe & not the fan that alot of people have had fail.

Thank you so much. I will be starting this project soon. I will let you all know of progress. THANKS!

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Crisp Salute!

Back Straight

Chest Out!

Boots Clicked twice

Guys,

Had to hold off on the new rig, but wound up buying a Geoforce 6600GT and a new PSU (500).

My problem is the damn Audio. What is the best audio card I can buy till I am in a position to get New Rig. which won't be for another 6-8 mos.

Guys,

Had to hold off on the new rig, but wound up buying a Geoforce 6600GT and a new PSU (500).

My problem is the damn Audio. What is the best audio card I can buy till I am in a position to get New Rig. which won't be for another 6-8 mos.

hmmm what price range?

I know for sub 150$ suckers. Turtle Beach makes some pretty good sound cards. ive listened to a couple of them.They sound great.

for uber cards sound blaster makes awsome cards.

an example

7.1 with all the bells and whistles

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1419101&CatId=107

and creatives 7.1 w/ all the fun stuff

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1618860&CatId=107

Well,

I am looking for the best SA. I just seems when I try to triangulate the damn audio. I never seem to get it right. For example, I hear the audio of a 251c drawing closer but can't seem to figure out from what direction it's coming from. I try to recon for my squaddies but it's hard to give good com when I can't even figure out what direction a particular audio is coming from.

I would like to see three ranges. Expensive, Moderate and Cheap.

Thanks for your help

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1,Build 2600) Service Pack 2

(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Dell Computer Corporation

Dimension 8200

Default System BIOS (A09)

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz (400)

over 1.5 gig of RAM

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT with 128mb ram

Hard Drive Maxtor 300gb

15inch Monitor.