Silky

Great idea: Gunned Fortified Mobile Spawn

20 posts in this topic

So, arm the FMS into an gFMS

 

Truck deploys the gFMS and the player becomes a high powered anti-tank HE/AP gun emplacement that can spawn infantry 

 

Drawbacks to the player:

- gun is fixed

 

Benefits to the player:

- truck can drive gun into place and then become the gun 

- protection from distant infantry, armoured or air threats 

- gFMS rearms the gun periodically 

- ATG has ready made guard/infantry support 

 

Benefits to the game

- ATG players inadvertently create spawn points for others 

- supports ZoC play 

- MIssion Leaders will be a gun placement, able to guide spawning infantry into battle 

 

 

And here’s the design to use

003.jpg4e46427e-b069-46c4-af75-fcf0f7600

Edited by Silky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty cool idea. Although...a single truck coming out and building some concrete structure like this is kind of far fetched in my mind - maybe this, except made out of wood/earth and sandbags. 

Also if the player using the ATG gun inside was killed - then what? He just spawns in as infantry? Also how many bombs/ satchels to destroy? 

 

Edited by bmw2
letter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sudden said:

I would put mine in the middle of the runway

 

Griefer. You should be banned for posting that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my only problem is the idea that you're going to pour re-enforced concrete while under fire? it's a really cool model you have there but the actual physics require that poured concrete building to set for days - even with the hacks you can use to get it to set faster it still takes DAYS.

how about a wooden structure instead? still a bit on the hard to swallow side but a lot more do-able. 

 

i get that not everything needs to map 1:1 to reality - but somethings are also a logical bridge too far. a concrete bunker like that as a 'fast' deployable thing ... that's a logical bridge too far for me.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, madrebel said:

my only problem is the idea that you're going to pour re-enforced concrete while under fire? it's a really cool model you have there but the actual physics require that poured concrete building to set for days - even with the hacks you can use to get it to set faster it still takes DAYS.

how about a wooden structure instead? still a bit on the hard to swallow side but a lot more do-able. 

 

i get that not everything needs to map 1:1 to reality - but somethings are also a logical bridge too far. a concrete bunker like that as a 'fast' deployable thing ... that's a logical bridge too far for me.

Not a problem. The point is a joint fixed AT gun and FMS. Concrete or sandbagged camp is for someone else to determine. I like the concept of you spawn a gun, you get a FMS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silky said:

Griefer. You should be banned for posting that

Do it.

 

You won't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silky said:

Not a problem. The point is a joint fixed AT gun and FMS. Concrete or sandbagged camp is for someone else to determine. I like the concept of you spawn a gun, you get a FMS

oh for sure, me too. like a LOT.

 

however - how far IS to far? for immersion to really kick in things need to be as expected or you fall into the uncanny valley. 

 

seriously 100% for hard PPOs - tons of them even i think it would be really damn cool. but concrete bunkers quickly appearing hither and yon? idk it just - well prompts this response. logs, wood, sand bags = could be done in a few hours. concrete = minimum 72 hours to set and that's if you're applying energy to accelerate the setting process. if you're relying on mother nature to set the concrete, you're looking at a week minimum. that would be fine for an out of combat action, like setting up hard fall back spots.

 

perhaps FBs should be hardened like this? that kind sorta makes some sense. further, there is historical advantage here. from what i recall reading the Germans essentially developed the methods the rest of the world now uses to 'quickly' create re-enforced poured concrete over welded re-bar structures. our freeway overpasses and skyscrapers all use these base techniques (significantly updated via material sciences since ww2 of course). Given that fact, should German bunkers build faster? the ugly side of this coin though - forced Jewish labor - that's an ugly other side of said reality coin. doesn't change the fact they did in fact invent/perfect this technique. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a tanker I disagree that would be too OP, fast vehicle with low audio and to kill you had to put a shot inside that small hole on that bunker or PPO.

If you want that, you must make the tank more survivable, like repairs and replenish crew.

With ATG Spawning from PPO's tanking has become much more frustrating.

Edited by pbveteran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree too. It would be easy to set up multiples ones and have almost invincible position. Unless theses fortification can be destroyed by Tanks, and not simply engineers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silky said:

Griefer. You should be banned for posting that

It would be glorious. Me against the whole allied air force. For about 2 kills max and then I would be killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed in the click-bait thread title - I expected a request for an equivalent to the FMS, but for armor.... 

 

Though I do like this idea... especially if we can get PPO's to link together...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmw2 said:

Although...a single truck coming out and building some concrete structure like this is kind of far fetched in my mind - maybe this, except made out of wood/earth and sandbags. 

but an entire Army spawning out of said object isn't far fetched?  While I'm all about realism, war for the most part is pretty damm boring - let's cut those parts out where possible... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B2K said:

but an entire Army spawning out of said object isn't far fetched?  While I'm all about realism, war for the most part is pretty damm boring - let's cut those parts out where possible... 

imo things still need to make sense. concrete doesnt make sense for anything meant to be 'quick' --- not even quickcrete is that quick. really a nit but out of place details can form bad opinion. something as benign and simple as using a wood texture instead of a concrete one though are simple conversations we can all have prior to laying down real work. if a single negative review is avoided by free conversation .. 

 

right?

Edited by madrebel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, B2K said:

Disappointed in the click-bait thread title - I expected a request for an equivalent to the FMS, but for armor.... 

 

Though I do like this idea... especially if we can get PPO's to link together...

Edited the title to avoid clickbait accusation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kuronyra said:

I disagree too. It would be easy to set up multiples ones and have almost invincible position. Unless theses fortification can be destroyed by Tanks, and not simply engineers.

So let’s say a side does just that, invests 1-2 man hours in setting up a ZoC of gunned FMS, outside of EWS, or ignored by their opponent. 

 

What’s wrong with rewarding that effort?

What’s principally wrong with requiring the opponent to flank the set up in order to overcome it? 

 

gFMS would remain vulnerable from the rear, and vulnerable to well placed air, armour and infantry attacks. 

 

I don’t see any problem with the enemy having a strong position that they have invested in that we cannot easily destroy. That robust launchpad does not take the town, it does not guarantee success. The town must still be captured, and whilst the gFMS may be strong, there’s still finite supply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silky said:

So let’s say a side does just that, invests 1-2 man hours in setting up a ZoC of gunned FMS, outside of EWS, or ignored by their opponent. 

 

What’s wrong with rewarding that effort?

What’s principally wrong with requiring the opponent to flank the set up in order to overcome it? 

 

gFMS would remain vulnerable from the rear, and vulnerable to well placed air, armour and infantry attacks. 

 

I don’t see any problem with the enemy having a strong position that they have invested in that we cannot easily destroy. That robust launchpad does not take the town, it does not guarantee success. The town must still be captured, and whilst the gFMS may be strong, there’s still finite supply

Towns are already hard to get as it is. Beside, nothing stop the defender from setting up theses "FMS" in all direction, it would only require to cover the mains side whre the attack is from. The rest can be taken care by Tanks that can act a great defense weapon.

 

Just yesterday, a Sherman managed to get near a FB, he stopped his engine and absolutly demolished no less than 4 tanks that hunted him. Despite receiving shots.

 

 

 

Tanks can be already hard to bypass as it is. Let's not put another Anti-tank vehicle that will be even more dangerous. That is my opinion, and like I said, it would require some tweaks AND the ability to be destroyed by other vehicles, not simply by infantry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The general idea of converting a truck into a fixed manned gun/aa/my nest is okay.

but Not sure I would want these spawn inf as well, it should remain a separated feature 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having such a bunker would be a nice addition, but it would have to have a lot of controlling factors on it---- driving up to an enemy town and ringing it with concrete bunkers is likely not a good addition to the game.

But allowing construction of such bunkers within 100 or so meters on your own town might work-- just ensure it can be destroyed by tanks and i think little or no spawning- very short spawn list- 2 or 3 atgs and maybe 2 or 3 LMGs.  This might take the fight out into the countryside a little more.

Perhaps it also becomes a capture point tied to the city cp-- ei capture the bunker and city remains under ei control until the bunker itself is recaptured.  You can put up forward defence, but it comes at a cost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.