• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
odin67

Lies, damned Lies and Statistics

14 posts in this topic

I am looking at the stats summaries of the campaigns at https://stats.wwiionline.com/ and comparing them in an excel spreadsheet. It's kind of a copy and paste thing from each side summary. One thing I've noticed initially is the Hit to Kill ratio changing dramatically from early campaigns from later campaigns. 

In Campaign 9 the Alles hit 1,988,729 times killing 1,103,315 times or 1.80 hit to kill ratio. The Germans hit 1,931,968 times killing 1,092,462 for a 1.77 hit to kill ratio.

In Campaign 150 the Allies hit 528,155 times killing 163,898 times for a 3.22 hit to kill ratio. The Germans hit 575,316 killing 174,598 times for a 3.30 hit to kill ratio.

This Hit to Kill ratio has gotten as high as 10.54 (Campaign 139) in the campaigns I've calculated so for but the trend for hit to kill has obviously risen in the later campaigns.

So has the ratio of tanks to infantry risen caused this or have the ballistics been changed? I did notice right after the Steam release the # of sorties a day (Campaign 142) rivaled the early days of WWII Online and have dribbled back down to a 1/3 of that now. So far I've only gotten Campaigns 9 to 17 and 110 to 151 in the spreadsheet.   

Hmmmm.....  seems odd that the numbers change so much.  At some point a number of years ago the frag model was changed, so that may be a significant factor in the number of hits/kill increasing.  

The frag model has increased its frag count since Campaign 9.  It does not take that much to increase the frag count.  For instance.. 5 PPL mortaring a AB full of tanks on defense is going to greatly increase the hit count.  That looks like some of my bombing missions LOL.  2 kills with 25 damages.  I have also been in a DAC before outside a AB where I got 22 kills cutting the AB... however when I looked at the Achievement awards.. I got 2 - Awards for the same mission. IIRC a Tankers beware - and just over 500! hits.  In the AAR however I had 22 kills and just over 30 damages.  Several of the kills where ATGs and bofors.. so I'm thinking the hits are how many frags and bullets are hitting a piece of equipment. I know with all the smoke I was spamming the VEH with MG fire and to find a ET spawned into the smoke.  Then we also have the grenadier and even the RPATs generate non-lethal frags.  So I am not surprised to see the hit to kill ratio go up.  I wonder what that's going to look like when the new HE model is in.

Hits have been bugged for years. Just one of the many random things that broke over the years. They went from one unit hit, no matter how many times = one hit to seemingly counting every single hit on an enemy unit as an individual hit thus the dramatic increase in hit numbers.

2 hours ago, odin67 said:

I am looking at the stats summaries of the campaigns at https://stats.wwiionline.com/ and comparing them in an excel spreadsheet. It's kind of a copy and paste thing from each side summary. One thing I've noticed initially is the Hit to Kill ratio changing dramatically from early campaigns from later campaigns. 

In Campaign 9 the Alles hit 1,988,729 times killing 1,103,315 times or 1.80 hit to kill ratio. The Germans hit 1,931,968 times killing 1,092,462 for a 1.77 hit to kill ratio.

In Campaign 150 the Allies hit 528,155 times killing 163,898 times for a 3.22 hit to kill ratio. The Germans hit 575,316 killing 174,598 times for a 3.30 hit to kill ratio.

This Hit to Kill ratio has gotten as high as 10.54 (Campaign 139) in the campaigns I've calculated so for but the trend for hit to kill has obviously risen in the later campaigns.

So has the ratio of tanks to infantry risen caused this or have the ballistics been changed? I did notice right after the Steam release the # of sorties a day (Campaign 142) rivaled the early days of WWII Online and have dribbled back down to a 1/3 of that now. So far I've only gotten Campaigns 9 to 17 and 110 to 151 in the spreadsheet.   

Hmm you should finish the whole spread sheet and publish it to the forums and or send it Xoom. Might and interesting to see.

I think that you're talking apples and oranges. So much in has changed from campaign 9 to Campaign 150 that there can't really be a comparison. 

Oh I plan to finish getting the rest of the campaigns in. It's pretty generalized data. That tidbit just really jumped out at me initially.

The deeper data where you can look at what killed what is a bit more difficult to get but its out there. I'm just not sure how to get at it. One stat I wish was captured is kill distance. There have been a few times where I was in a position as a rifleman to shoot and still have time to look thru my binoculars to see where the shot landed it was so far away. I could not see the shots hits without binoculars. 

5 minutes ago, gvonpaul said:

I think that you're talking apples and oranges. So much in has changed from campaign 9 to Campaign 150 that there can't really be a comparison. 

I've considered that. I guess I'm just curious as how its changed over the course of years. I've also wondered if the ratio of tanks vs infantry has changed since then too. Maybe player skill sets. I'm sure no one was an expert in the earlier campaigns vs the later campaigns. 

Just now, odin67 said:

I've considered that. I guess I'm just curious as how its changed over the course of years. I've also wondered if the ratio of tanks vs infantry has changed since then too. Maybe player skill sets. I'm sure no one was an expert in the earlier campaigns vs the later campaigns. 

No but seriously, the hits system is bugged. See my post...

Shrapnel is tracked and counted if it hits, even if just a scratch. For a extreme example, I have 1 bomb run sortie that shows 2 kills and 171 hits.

I'm trying to get the rest done but Campaign 80 (2/15/12) is where it take a big jump in the Hits to Kills. Basically 2 hits jumped to 5 hits. It was consistent mid 1's to 2 before that. I got about 20 more campaigns to put in the spreadsheet. 

fms camping I bet helped that . Bet they jumped after mobile spawns appeared .

Mind you we used to be able to kill enemy from inside their spawns.

Do not know when campaign wise, but at a point the HE frag counts did go up a decent amount.

Also perhaps a factor, originally, he who plinked first scored, anyone plinking after, it didn't count
if i plinked a panzer with a pistol and you come along and put a 47mm through it exploding it, i got the kill, you got jacksquat.
I cant remember, but you may not have even scored a hit for it? 

After the rag doll physics for infantry came in hits were modelled and damage and wound bar was effected in game iirc.