• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
black5

WWII online vs Battleground Europe

11 posts in this topic

As I understand it years ago we had to stop using the title WWII online for legal reasons and went with Battleground Europe. 

It seems lately we have reverted back to WWII online. Which I prefer. 

However, it creates a small issue when searching for content about the game online with two different titles. 

Would going with a title and sub-title be better 

WWII ONLINE: Battleground Europe 

maybe that's the official name now? I can't tell lol

It could make research easier and recruiting better.

one day many years from now if Odin smiles upon us and we achieve lots of long lasting accounts maybe we can have

WWII ONLINE: Battleground Africa 

WWII ONLINE: Battleground Pacific

WWII ONLINE: Russia Etc. Etc. Etc 

2 people like this

29 minutes ago, black5 said:

As I understand it years ago we had to stop using the title WWII online for legal reasons

not WWII Online

WWII Online: Blitzkrieg
Some how someone trademarked the phrase blitzkreig or some such, which was dumb, i am not exactly sure how the hell that works

So it went from WWII Online: Blitzkrieg (Which is what the 1st, and extant theater is)
to WWII Online: Battleground Europe

So had things initially went a lot better back in 2001 it might have been something like
WWII Online: Blitzkreig
WWII Online: North Africa
WWII Online: Eastern Europe
etc
Game was and still is WWII Online, Blitzkrieg is the theater
Someone may have an original screen shot, but back then when you launched the game, 1st place you came to was the theater selection
screen which showed you all the proposed future theaters

Original idea was as soon as blitz was finished, the next theater would be built and brought online
and all the theaters would be tied together so that they were not exactly isolated stand alone things
you'd be able to ship tanks from france down to north africa if you controlled the shipping points at both ends etc.
IIRC it was hoped that you could actually drive into the other theater if you so chose, and it would pass your game session over
to that theaters server cluster.

One day maybe that might still happen

Edited by merlin51
2 people like this

I have a Blitzkrieg T shirt

1 person likes this

I don't know this authoritatively, but the trademark conflict probably was with Hasbro's Avalon Hill subsidiary, which introduced a Blitzkrieg board game in 1965.

If CRS had done a minimal IP search on that name for a wargame, they could have avoided the issue, because it was pretty obvious. One doesn't have to like IP law or think it should work as it does, to still recognize that it's good business management to not get into avoidable lawyering situations.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

I don't know this authoritatively, but the trademark conflict probably was with Hasbro's Avalon Hill subsidiary, which introduced a Blitzkrieg board game in 1965.

It was a great old game, one of the first to use hexagons for movement and was blue vs red (called Big Blue & Big Red in the game). Yes, out in '65 and pre-dated the other Avalon Hill classic, Kriegspiel by 4 or 5 years.  Think both were out before Hasbro bought in. 

pic143611.jpg

2 people like this

20 hours ago, merlin51 said:

not WWII Online

WWII Online: Blitzkrieg
Some how someone trademarked the phrase blitzkreig or some such, which was dumb, i am not exactly sure how the hell that works

So it went from WWII Online: Blitzkrieg (Which is what the 1st, and extant theater is)
to WWII Online: Battleground Europe

So had things initially went a lot better back in 2001 it might have been something like
WWII Online: Blitzkreig
WWII Online: North Africa
WWII Online: Eastern Europe
etc
Game was and still is WWII Online, Blitzkrieg is the theater
Someone may have an original screen shot, but back then when you launched the game, 1st place you came to was the theater selection
screen which showed you all the proposed future theaters

Original idea was as soon as blitz was finished, the next theater would be built and brought online
and all the theaters would be tied together so that they were not exactly isolated stand alone things
you'd be able to ship tanks from france down to north africa if you controlled the shipping points at both ends etc.
IIRC it was hoped that you could actually drive into the other theater if you so chose, and it would pass your game session over
to that theaters server cluster.

One day maybe that might still happen

Merlin51 

Thank you for the correction.. i still deep inside want to see all that happen.

5 hours ago, KMS said:

I have a Blitzkrieg T shirt

HA! KMS I had two a white one and a black one... wore em till the treads came apart, one of the guys is working on some new stuff for us. I am jealous you still have one. I wonder if Xoom has a storage unit full of CRS junk he would auction.. lol

4 hours ago, jwilly said:

If CRS had done a minimal IP search on that name for a wargame, they could have avoided the issue, because it was pretty obvious. One doesn't have to like IP law or think it should work as it does, to still recognize that it's good business management to not get into avoidable lawyering situations.

I hear you there sir! I am not a litigious type of person.. you are also probably right about the board game too.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, sorella said:

It was a great old game, one of the first to use hexagons for movement and was blue vs red (called Big Blue & Big Red in the game). Yes, out in '65 and pre-dated the other Avalon Hill classic, Kriegspiel by 4 or 5 years.  Think both were out before Hasbro bought in. 

pic143611.jpg

We used to call it Sitzkrieg.  Panzerblitz and Panzerleader were better.  S!

BK+Mike+plans+his+first+attack.jpg

1 person likes this

On 5/9/2018 at 1:44 PM, ratzilla said:

We used to call it Sitzkrieg.  Panzerblitz and Panzerleader were better.  S!

BK+Mike+plans+his+first+attack.jpg

I was just reading this again and noticed the game board looks very similar to out map lol

On 5/4/2018 at 6:42 PM, sorella said:

pic143611.jpg

I had that game.  Awesome introduction to wargaming.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0