SCKING

MacOS Beta / 64-bit Warning

13 posts in this topic

I just wanted to put this warning out there as a fellow Mac player. Apple typically releases developer and public Beta versions of MacOS in the month of June/July and the next version (assuming 10.14) will only support 64-bit applications. If you install the Beta version of MacOS, and 64-bit of the game has not been released, you will most likely not be able to run the game. We are making progress on 64-bit version of the game but I am not sure it will be done prior to the MacOS Beta release.

It’s going very well.. The team is working very hard on it. It will need extensive testing though as it effects *every* aspect of the game. 

Bumping this.. This is just a reminder now that the developer beta version has been released.. 

Installed Mac OS Mojave (10.14.2) on my vintage (2009) Mac Pro and so far game plays flawlessly. Good FPS and after one week no bugs to report!

2 people like this

Does the game take advantage of Metal in supported GPU cards?  I am looking at getting a Mac Pro 2009 and upgrade the card.  How many cores does the game utilize? 

No on metal and currently only a single core is really utilized. Go for the i7 with the highest clock speed and you should be fine with as little as a nvidia 1050.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro 3.46ghz 6 core. 16gb ram , Nvidia 680 2g vid card and I get fps in the teens on a big battle. I checked activity monitor and I'm using very low percentage of my cpu ram and vid card , so what is the bottle neck? I thought this hardware should be good enough to play this game . Is it the 32 bit thing?

Any tips?

Edited by skinks

19 hours ago, skinks said:

I have a 2010 Mac Pro 3.46ghz 6 core. 16gb ram , Nvidia 680 2g vid card and I get fps in the teens on a big battle. I checked activity monitor and I'm using very low percentage of my cpu ram and vid card , so what is the bottle neck? I thought this hardware should be good enough to play this game . Is it the 32 bit thing?

Any tips?

I have a similar configuration mid-2010 cMP5,1 with X5690@3.4GHz and RX580 card at 2560x1440. I also get down into the low 20s fps in city battles but normally in the 40s or better. All I can suggest is to turn down the graphics settings in "preferences'. I have never heard any definitive explanation for the poor performance other than the suggestion that the lack of polygon culling in the display list wastes a lot of work. I've been told that the physics engine and the rendering engine are "intimately" coupled so I think any real change in performance will require a complete redesign.

Now when the 64-bit client soon™ is ready for prime time, are you guys considering to make WWIIOL multithreaded in the future?

Besides that there should be "no limits" to add new vehicles to the game when it's a 64-bit client, have you guys seen any performance increase with the 64-bit client?

P.S. Doc's mantra to us old Beta-testers was that "WWII Online will never be a 64-bit game. It is way too complicated to rewrite the client." In my book have you guys really made something amazing with just a small team of volunteers. S!

1 hour ago, Sparre said:

Now when the 64-bit client soon™ is ready for prime time, are you guys considering to make WWIIOL multithreaded in the future?

Besides that there should be "no limits" to add new vehicles to the game when it's a 64-bit client, have you guys seen any performance increase with the 64-bit client?

Please hop over to the 64bit and you Soldier thread. Many questions concerning 64bit were answered or at least discussed there.

TL;DR 

* better performance and 64bit: it depends, the core game engine design will most probably be still the same (single game loop)

* multithreading: it depends, we hope so

* awesome job of the programmers/volunteers so far: definitely

Edited by rote7