KMS

Headsets

23 posts in this topic

I use the "Logitech PC 960 Stereo Headset" for 5 years now. It's rather cheap, reliable and it even supports my track-IR while not putting too much pressure on my big ears.

KMS 

your a rat bro... you need some GSP-350’s by sennhieser and a massage therapist while you play.... 

what else was that funding campaign for? It wasn’t just the Bahamas, hooker, and blow as mentioned elsewhere! KMS gotta get his share too.. 

:)

Edited by black5
Spelling

Under $50 doesn't give you many decent options. Particularly if you're wanting decent sound, good mic and USB. 

I'm a bit of an audiophile, so thought I'd give ya a bit of two cents: 

1. LOGITECH G-Series ($25-48)
Avoid like the plague. Don't. Just don't. 

2. CORSAIR VOID PRO 7.1 ($59.95)
If an extra $9.95 won't break the bank, the Corsair Void PRO is a 7.1 upscaled-surround. Sound quality is decent. Good enough for movies, calls, voice comms and WW2OL quality sound. 

3. HyperX Cloud Stinger ($49.95)
Frequently sold out, for a reason. This is probably the best bang-for-buck you'll get in the sub-$50 area. Good all rounder. 

4. MSI DS502 Circumaural ($40-45)
I'd also cautiously suggest these. The build quality could be a bit better, but it performs on par with the HyperX in a lot of testing. It has better software than the HyperX. 

5. Creative Sound Blaster Inferno ($40-45)
These are a 3.5mm connector. That said, they are actually one of the highest rated average headsets on the market. They do a lot of things well enough to please people. 

My personal set-up currently depends on if I am streaming, or if I'm simply playing. I use the following: 

STREAMING:
Blue Yeti Pro Studio XLR 
Sennheiser RS175 Wireless Headphones

PLAYING: 
Sennheiser GSP600's

IMHO - sound quality is a big 'must have' for me. If ya can afford more, spend more. Don't 'make do' with [censored] headphones. You'll replace them faster, and more often than a decent pair - assuming you are sensible enough to look after your stuff! 

1 person likes this

If you have headphones for your stereo system (i.e. they lack the plug ability to a pc), just get an adaptor at radioshak for circa $10----good headphones are a must for this game, I believe.  Then you can spend another $10 on an xbox headset, and just plug it into the mike-hole.  Thus allowing good sound, and a usable mike.-------------one does have to be careful when getting up though, as you have to unhitch yourself from 2 separate headsets before exiting...

S!

I've had good luck with Sennheiser stuff..

Used their gear for a number of different things and never been disappointed..

Perhaps a couple dollars more but they last and perform very well..

The headset I currently use are over 15 years old and still work perfectly.. I have some recent production gear for audio and telephony, the quality is still there..

https://en-us.sennheiser.com

Good luck in your search..

Cheers Monty

I use a Razer Tiamat 7.1 V2 with a Soundblaster Titanium X-Fi Soundcard.  That will run like $300.

check out Krakken they are reasonably priced and very good also really comfortable and the cord is strong enough that it doesn't get broken easy

I use my iphone earplugs most of the time.  They work ok for me and are great for mobility.

Biggest drawback is they are not very sturdy, and if you are not careful with them,  the wire insulation can  crack open on them requiring replacement.

Edited by krazydog

I buy the Each G4000 Headphones off of EBay for about $15. They have great sound, look and feel great. You can illuminate them if you want to. They last very well. I'm on my second set in about 5 years, and the last one only died because my kids messed with them.

s-l225.jpg

Here's a pic  just grabbed from ebay

I went with the Onikuma K5 for $27

This will get me by for where I'll be using them, sound is good and the squad says the mic sounds fine.

15 hours ago, KMS said:

I went with the Onikuma K5 for $27

This will get me by for where I'll be using them, sound is good and the squad says the mic sounds fine.

I can vouch for that, KMS sounds very clear on Discord.  

Makes me wonder why I shelled out for a set of Sennheiser PC360s years ago. 

On 22.5.2018 at 8:56 AM, Memoi said:

Makes me wonder why I shelled out for a set of Sennheiser PC360s years ago. 

Sennheiser has to live too :-P

I got two friends with multiple (don't ask me why) headsets worth more than 200€/$ each. When I try them out: Sure, they sound a bit better, they got a little bit more of oomph. But the simple pew and krrrchhhh in most games sound fine for me on my budget Logitech piece of plastic too. I guess I am a simple peasant and pleased easily. So I got more money for track IR, HOTAS, rudder pedals and VR :-D

Edited by vanapo

1 hour ago, vanapo said:

I got two friends with multiple (don't ask me why) headsets worth more than 200€/$ each. When I try them out: Sure, they sound a bit better, they got a little bit more of oomph. But the simple pew and krrrchhhh in most games sound fine for me on my budget Logitech piece of plastic too. I guess I am a simple peasant and pleased easily. So I got more money for track IR, HOTAS, rudder pedals and VR :-D

Headsets about 200$ like Shure ATH some Senheisser and SONY etc. are more focused to Music Production and other professional tasks. Those guys apart from having a good ear, need quality headphones to hear well and capture certain nuances etc. The average user surely would not notice the difference, therefore, I believe that a good quality headphones of about 50$ would be enough.

3 hours ago, vanapo said:

My specific headset is the only headset on the market with TRUE Dolby 7.1 surround sound.  There are a total of 10 different speakers on the headset. 

All other headsets (mostly USB headsets) claim to have surround sound, but in reality it's just virtualized through software and played through 1 speaker on each earcup.  My headset is an analog headset with about 6 different 3.5mm jacks for the various speakers (which is why the soundcard is nice to have).  

The Razer Tiamat 7.1 V2 actually doesn't sound as good for things like music as some cheaper alternatives.  However, the true surround sound is invaluable in games where audio queues are important... like footsteps in WWIIOL :)

38 minutes ago, Capco said:

in games where audio queues are important... like footsteps in WWIIOL

As I am spending most of my time in planes (where I tune the sound down to 3% so I won't get deaf or get a heart attack when someone bounces me) or tanks (allmost the same when you are on the move) - I must admit that I don't got the need for true surround sound an infantryman might have.

Like you said, I got the experience that most "surround sound" on headsets is limited to being a somewhat pimped stereo experience. Which is sufficient to me as you can use stereo sound in a "Lorenz Beam" fashion to isolate the direction of a sound emitter:

Look into the general direction of the sound. Press shortcut to look left, press shortcut to look right. If one direction is louder than the other, adjust to that direction and repeat.

This works on the simplest sound systems as long as you got stereo. Actually it works better on real stereo than on virtualized surround sound.

Edited by vanapo

1) having support for Dolby only matters if the game or media you're playing encode in Dolby - without that encoding you're receiving w/e directsound is outputting. 

2) Dolby is also a software processing - just to pick nits. 

Edited by madrebel