• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
odonovan1

Seventeen Years

22 posts in this topic

The game's anniversary is coming up in a week.  I presume there will be something special going on.  But so far, I have seen and heard nothing, either here or on any other WWII/gaming/milsim websites.  The only way we'll get new players is to advertise.  The only way we'll get veteran players back is to grow the game, with new content and features, but also with new PLAYERS.  So, is there anything planned?  Are there going to be announcements, promos, or news releases posted on other sites?

It won't help the game grow if the only ones attending are the ones who would have been here anyway.

-Irish

We are working on festivities, and I would say something might be sent out tomorrow night.

As for new content this year alone has seen the SPAA and Tank Busters as well as CS tanks introduced in game. I know QA is finalizing the HEKE Audit

4 hours ago, odonovan1 said:

It won't help the game grow if the only ones attending are the ones who would have been here anyway.

+100,000,000,000,000,000

6 hours ago, stankyus said:

Opel races ftw

Pffffff. Someone would show up with a Morris and just coast by engine off.

20 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Pffffff. Someone would show up with a Morris and just coast by engine off.

We could celebrate with some cliff diving.

Allies got new tanks that spew smoke! They can't kill sh*t. But boy,, can they spew that smoke.  I'm sure all the Vets want to come back to see those.  :lol:

Edited by lipton

25 minutes ago, lipton said:

Allies got new tanks that spew smoke! They can't kill sh*t. But boy,, can they spew that smoke.  I'm sure all the Vets want to come back to see those.  :lol:

Only way to survive the Uber Tiger. Shoot smoke and roll back to AB/FB. Respawn a heavier tank and kill it.

3 hours ago, lipton said:

Have you used one yet?

After the patch you'll understand......hopefully:huh:

1 person likes this

Just now, Pittpete said:

Have you used one yet?

After the patch you'll understand......hopefully:huh:

I'll be on tonight to have a look-see!

7 hours ago, lipton said:

The Churchill has 95mm HEAT on it. Its a very powerful HEAT round, powerful enough that the Tiger can be killed frontally with it.  I would say that is fantastic.

Dont underestimate the use of smoke either VS enemy tanks.
(Also keep in mind, tanks to not yet have their real smoke rounds, they will be bigger and last longer)
May do little if you are solo except grant you escape, but if you are teamed up with others, you can blind a dangerous enemy tank and keep it blind while your team mate flanks it or your infantry get to it and track it or sap it.

A guy might have a 410mm rail gun, but if he can not see...

On 5/29/2018 at 9:03 PM, odonovan1 said:

On 5/30/2018 at 1:53 AM, praevus said:

+100,000,000,000,000,000

The reason this bothered me is that, for the new patch with the HE audit AND for the anniversary event, they are both in the middle of the work week.  If someone wants to take a vacation day to participate in either the audit roll out (last night/today) or the anniversary event, they may have had to put in for a vacation day well in advance.  I can understand rushing the audit out, not knowing exactly when it would be ready, and now having a week to debug it on the live server before the anniversary, but the anniversary is a set date.  If plans were made well in advance, people could take a day off work if they wanted.  People who play could invite some friends who may have never played the game.  Word could have been spread to other wargamers via websites.  As it is now, there won't be time for any of that.

As much as we like to think of this as a game, it's a business for the Rats.  It needs to start being treated like one.  Events such as the anniversary should have a roadmap of their own, for what activities (different than normal, day to day) will actually be happening, what promotions (WBS?) or specials will be offered and for how long, and how far in advance (at least a month) publicity materials (news releases, posters, et cetera) will be released.  As of Tuesday, THIS was on the WWIIOL Facebook page, under "Events."

"World War II Online does not have any upcoming events."

There was no mention of the anniversary or even the new patch (until after it was released).

The game now has to compete with state of the art WWII shooters such as Call of Duty: WWII, Hell Let Loose, and Post Scriptum.  They will take huge chunks out of our prospective playerbase.  If WWIIOL is to survive (and hopefully PROSPER), it has to be seen.  It has to become known outside our current playerbase.  The following websites each has a list of WWII games or an article containing such a list.  Some are called "the best" games but others are just lists of games.  Some are of RTS and FPS only.  Some include flight, armor, and/or naval sims.  The one thing they all have in common is that not ONE of them mentions WWIIOL at all, not even a passing nod to a game which holds two Guinness World Records.

Wikipedia

PCGamesN (pcgamesn.com)

Lifewire (lifewire.com)

Gamerant (gamerant.com)

Giant Bomb (giantbomb.com)  <---(their list is NINE PAGES long)

There are also a couple milsim (military simulation games) websites which have front page "news" articles on their homepages.  These are sites by and for the very type of player we need to attract.  I made some contacts and got the Rats hooked up with the people on those sites who post their news articles.  News about the game still isn't showing up on those sites.

We need a call to arms.  Either the word gets out or it doesn't.  It's nice to ask the players to do it, but that is not something which can ever be counted on.  Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the Rats.  If the game fails to compete in today's market, this might be the last or next to the last anniversary it celebrates.

-Irish

Can't disagree with the need Irish.. I'll copy this over and post internally so people see it 

Some sort of change to subscription pricing or free to play is the only thing this game needs right now to bring players in and keep them here. All the toys in the world don't matter when nobody's around to spawn them. Combining this change with the anniversary would be pretty big.

@odonovan1

On 5/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, odonovan1 said:

The game's anniversary is coming up in a week.  I presume there will be something special going on.  But so far, I have seen and heard nothing, either here or on any other WWII/gaming/milsim websites.  The only way we'll get new players is to advertise.  The only way we'll get veteran players back is to grow the game, with new content and features, but also with new PLAYERS.  So, is there anything planned?  Are there going to be announcements, promos, or news releases posted on other sites?

Maybe you haven't played in a few weeks?  Announcements started a few weeks ago...

As far as outside gaming sites...

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/473943/wwii-online-the-first-mmo-fps-is-celebrating-17-years-active

And we got a mention in another games review   

https://www.pcgamer.com/world-war-3-promises-large-scale-modern-combat-and-battle-royale-later-this-year/

d840bb3d6d2b16bb9cc58e9047b61be0.png

We had a Reddit post that went nuts on Memorial Day weekend that resulted in a MANY (can't divulge #'s) sign-ups, and tons of traffic to our website. 

24 minutes ago, gt3076r said:

Some sort of change to subscription pricing or free to play is the only thing this game needs right now to bring players in and keep them here. All the toys in the world don't matter when nobody's around to spawn them. Combining this change with the anniversary would be pretty big.

Specials are up or will be soon!  

The Marketing team has done a tremendous job, but it only starts here! 

Salute!  S! 

3 people like this

Pretty cool to see the word getting spread out there.

FWIW, I agree, dev focus needs to be pulled AWAY from expanding the equipment sets; this is a total waste of time. WWIIOL already has the largest(?) equipment set of any first-person WWII game in existence and will not be challenged on that front any time soon (if ever); as far as I can tell, it makes zero difference in terms of player retention.

Edited by xanthus
1 person likes this

12 hours ago, xanthus said:

Pretty cool to see the word getting spread out there.

FWIW, I agree, dev focus needs to be pulled AWAY from expanding the equipment sets; this is a total waste of time. WWIIOL already has the largest(?) equipment set of any first-person WWII game in existence and will not be challenged on that front any time soon (if ever); as far as I can tell, it makes zero difference in terms of player retention.

The people that work on the upgraded vehicles are not the same people that code, work on terrain, market the game, community manage, work support tickets, etc...

There is so much effort going into bettering this game behind the scenes that it would make your heads spin.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.:)

Vehicles may not retain new players, but may make old players resub. I'm an occasional player and i only play WBS or sub for one or two months to check new equipment and other updates. Don't know how big this crowd is though.

1 hour ago, arado234 said:

Vehicles may not retain new players, but may make old players resub. I'm an occasional player and i only play WBS or sub for one or two months to check new equipment and other updates. Don't know how big this crowd is though.

The real question here is why the game play hasn't grabbed you for more than 2 months. If that can be figured out the game will grow more.