• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
major0noob

Forced despawn, warn instead of despawn

8 posts in this topic

make a warning before despawning. had steam eating up bandwidth, closed it and connection is fine now.

a warning is better than in-game boot

The purpose of Forced Despawn is not for your own convenience, but the convenience and experience for others. FD is the main mechanism by which the kill lag has been so reduced (unfortunately not 100% eliminated), as well as unkillables, invisibles, desync'd players, etc.

Forcibly despawning you before you become an in-game problem is extremely important to maintaining gameplay and user experience health. Warning you completely defeats the purpose, and would also open the door to exploitation (get warning, do nothing about it and lag kill a bunch of people with grenades or something).

2 people like this

*warning before despawning*

should've made this the title

im all for despawning bad connections, but not soo suddenly and without warning. it's aggravating, especially with the games long methodical playstyle.

it was a innocent mistake on my part (had steam downloading), i fixed it but still lost my postion and the ZoC.

a warning won't hurt, if they still have a bad connection then despawn em

Edited by major0noob

5 hours ago, major0noob said:

a warning won't hurt, if they still have a bad connection then despawn em

But how much time will you give them on their warning?  Even if it's only a couple minutes, some players will do things like rush CPs and empty them out before they're despawned,  knowing there is very little chance they can be killed.  In a way, that makes the lag problem worse by letting the players who WOULD cheat by exploiting the bug on purpose know WHEN they can do so.

-Irish

16 minutes ago, odonovan1 said:

But how much time will you give them on their warning?  Even if it's only a couple minutes, some players will do things like rush CPs and empty them out before they're despawned,  knowing there is very little chance they can be killed.  In a way, that makes the lag problem worse by letting the players who WOULD cheat by exploiting the bug on purpose know WHEN they can do so.

Agree 100%.

The issue with a warning is that sometimes the client does not know it’s being disconnected after the server has already dropped you due to lag.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, SCKING said:

The issue with a warning is that sometimes the client does not know it’s being disconnected after the server has already dropped you due to lag.

Yes, also this. After thinking about it more yesterday, I realized that the game could put up a little packet loss indicator like some other games have, but often by the time it would register a problem to display the game would already be screwy. So by the time the game would even know to show a warning the server may have kicked you.

I had discuss with the team about trying to make the “stream indicator” a little more understandable and maybe add some color to it so people will know when there is an connection issue. Was an idea but with so many things to do, it’s not something coming right away.