asatru5555

End CP guarding duty

64 posts in this topic

One gripe I have about the way defending objectives works in this game is that it is heavily dependant on people being willing to hunker down in a small enclosed space and staring at a wall. I think we can all agree that this isn't very fun. 

One way to prevent this could be to simply give a visual indication on the map if a CP is being captured. I know this would probably eliminate those sneaky ninja tactics of  flanking far around to snatch a CP away from the defending party if they are not careful but let's be honest.. Shouldn't the focus of capturing a CP be on active teamwork and a Squad taking and securing a sector instead of a lone soldier sneaking behind the frontline?

Similarly, said Squad securing a CP perhaps shouldn't all hunker down in one single building aswell. I think it might be better to make capturing speed independant of people within the CP. This way only one or two people could enter the CP to cap while everyone else spreads out and prevents the enemy from counterattacking by securing the perimeter. This way, an area could be properly secured and capturing doesn't devolve into a messy campfest.

Yep. Proposed many times over the years by persons concerned that "bunker duty" is anti-game-success, and Rambo captures not involving fully defeating the enemy before occupying the capture-locale are wildly anti-realistic.

The ultimate fix would be to require that forces--including "infiltrators", "recon", paratroops, etc.--cannot cross an outer boundary until X minutes after an AO is placed, so that defenders would have ample time to prepare defenses and get into position to fight. Any forces that find themselves across that boundary without an AO are auto-"captured" and get an MIA.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, asatru5555 said:

One gripe I have about the way defending objectives works in this game is that it is heavily dependant on people being willing to hunker down in a small enclosed space and staring at a wall. I think we can all agree that this isn't very fun. 

One way to prevent this could be to simply give a visual indication on the map if a CP is being captured. I know this would probably eliminate those sneaky ninja tactics of  flanking far around to snatch a CP away from the defending party if they are not careful but let's be honest.. Shouldn't the focus of capturing a CP be on active teamwork and a Squad taking and securing a sector instead of a lone soldier sneaking behind the frontline?

Similarly, said Squad securing a CP perhaps shouldn't all hunker down in one single building aswell. I think it might be better to make capturing speed independant of people within the CP. This way only one or two people could enter the CP to cap while everyone else spreads out and prevents the enemy from counterattacking by securing the perimeter. This way, an area could be properly secured and capturing doesn't devolve into a messy campfest.

+1

Yes guarding sucks arse, but it is a necessity. However I see less and less doing it (because it sucks), and only a few familiar names continue to guard. 

I  like Asatru5555 idea, however it will remove a component from the game like ninja caps or multi caps. 

Also the realism of the game is guarding (a.k.a. guard duty). 

I dunno, i like guarding.
Especially with the new AB bunker set up.
You WILL come to me, you have no choice, and then i spray you full of overstocked SMG ammo

Maybe creating larger "capture sectors" other than small buildings for the CP's. 

For example, the entire AB would be "capturable" rather than only a small room on the second floor of the bunker. Or a entire sector of a town would be capturable, not only the flag building. This would allow for better defense preparation and also would not kill the "ninja caps" which are a really nice part of the game also.

I also think guarding duty is really really annoying and a few people do it nowadays. Actually there is a lot of blaming and fighting in the in-chat about this, but it is really hard to force someone to a duty there are unwilling to do.

S!

All you really have to do is 'check' a CP.

You run in and see if it's being capped.

Then type $here and let everyone know what the status is.

More communication would lead to less guarding.

Guarding a HOT bunker is one of the most intense moments you can experience in game.

Go ask the Axis about the SAB in Aachen last night, it was crazy...

27 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Guarding a HOT bunker is one of the most intense moments you can experience in game.

I think I agree with this 

2 hours ago, merlin51 said:

I dunno, i like guarding.
Especially with the new AB bunker set up.
You WILL come to me, you have no choice, and then i spray you full of overstocked SMG ammo

With this proposed scheme you can still do this.

3 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

With this proposed scheme you can still do this.

If you wait until the game screams AB under cap (which even when players are yelling it, does not always garner the expected response)
you probably already have one foot in the grave?

but they don't need to "work" in-game instead they can do something fun.

the attackers won't ninja-softcap a town too. as a attacker in the last few weeks: it's very boring when the enemy doesn't show up.

2 boring birds with 1 stone

4 hours ago, merlin51 said:

If you wait until the game screams AB under cap (which even when players are yelling it, does not always garner the expected response)
you probably already have one foot in the grave?

No; you can still wait in and defend the cp/bunker even if there is a warning given to other players when enemies enter.  It's not one or the other; it's both. This would be a good system to stop ninja caps and would preserve the action for those who like to defend. 

Just now, GrAnit said:

This would be a good system to stop ninja caps and would preserve the action for those who like to defend. 

But it also punishes the guy who spent all the time evading detection and working his way in, and he steps one foot in the door and a klaxon goes off
Or maybe it was a night time paradrop, where there is no respawn chance.

13 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

...the guy who spent all the time UNREALISTICALLY evading detection and working his way in, and he steps one foot in the door and a klaxon goes off, AS IT SHOULD.

How many cities were captured by one guy in WWII?

It's Rambo-ism. 

Games of course do have to be fun. CRS, what percentage of your customers equate fun and being Rambo? Is that the game you're trying to offer? It'd be nice to make that clear, instead of waffling somewhere in the middle.

58 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

But it also punishes the guy who spent all the time evading detection and working his way in, and he steps one foot in the door and a klaxon goes off
Or maybe it was a night time paradrop, where there is no respawn chance.

the game shouldn't be about evading, we should be fighting for everything.

9 hours ago, jwilly said:

How many cities were captured by one guy in WWII?

It's Rambo-ism. 

Games of course do have to be fun. CRS, what percentage of your customers equate fun and being Rambo? Is that the game you're trying to offer? It'd be nice to make that clear, instead of waffling somewhere in the middle.

How much territory was considered conquered when 5 of the 20 buildings were captured?

i think tweaking and nudging game elements along piecemeal is likely to give us a distorted end result. 

I think you’re right, in light of major changes now on the drawing board we would benefit from a complete design review, with all mechanics and systems feeding into a central, core vision of what the key game activity elements look like 

11 hours ago, major0noob said:

the game shouldn't be about evading, we should be fighting for everything.

IMO, game tactics should be free and player driven.

If you want a frontal attack, go for it. If you want a ninja attack, and avoid enemy contact (which I like a lot) go for it.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Agree, Only 2-3 players needed to make CP patrols and report the status in Target Channel. 

1 hour ago, kase250 said:

IMO, game tactics should be free and player driven.

If you want a ninja attack, and avoid enemy contact (which I like a lot) go for it.

Nothing wrong with you moving around the map however you want...but one guy in an enemy town historically was nothing more than an suicidal irritant.

Nothing should be "captured" by one guy. Capture should require practically no enemy forces remaining at the locale, and a substantial force of yours.

The argument of "one person didn't take a town in WW2" and similar arguments falls very flat for me. We don't have the population in the game to properly represent historical forces. Town battles can and have been very small, especially during TZ3. Single individuals making caps makes perfect sense, and that shouldn't be the prime argument. If the battles are larger, then you should have the numbers to at least check caps.

The other thing is that this suggestion feels very gamey. We do have some advance warning stuff, like EWS and AWS, but those are abstracted gameplay features: local forces and/or civilians reporting planes/sounds/actual sightings, etc. Doing the same thing for individual CPs is a bit much, IMO. It also provides a significant initial bonus to the defenders, who can just have one guy in town watching for a notification before they call for any actual defense. At the very least, it frees up defenders from having to check things, meaning the attackers have that much of a harder time doing anything. This eventually benefits the attackers as well once they cap something, but the initial cap is still that much harder to make.

I do agree that guarding is anti-fun, but I think there are alternatives to the current system that would be less arcade-y. Area capture rather than building capture, internal capture links forcing bottleneck fights and preventing ninja caps on the other side of town, stuff like that.

1 person likes this

the idea would end both ninja gameplay and boring guard duty at the same time.

it would also deter moles, booting flags to avoid a fight, and allow attackers to hold what they've got making battles into a real tug-of-war.

forcing paying customers to do boring work is not a good thing guys...

44 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Nothing wrong with you moving around the map however you want...but one guy in an enemy town historically was nothing more than an suicidal irritant.

Nothing should be "captured" by one guy. Capture should require practically no enemy forces remaining at the locale, and a substantial force of yours.

I understand your point and agree with you about Rambo ops.

But Im talking about a squad or a group of players that can sneak to the town and cap a critical CP. If you have numbers to do a frontal attack, thats ok. If you get a small group you can sneak and try a ninja cap. 

I dont understand why to announce a CP being captured. Thats is unrealistic and pointless IMHO.

1 person likes this

What you may consider boring work might just be fun and rewarding for others.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, major0noob said:

the idea would end both ninja gameplay and boring guard duty at the same time.

it would also deter moles, booting flags to avoid a fight, and allow attackers to hold what they've got making battles into a real tug-of-war.

forcing paying customers to do boring work is not a good thing guys...

The fact is that we are some customers that like to ninja attack and dont mind to defend some CPs. Yes, guarding a CP for hours can be boring but its supposed to be a teamwork.

OK, sounds good. How about a mechanic that a CP cannot be ninja attacked unless it's guarded by a player that enjoys guarding for hours?

If the reason that ninja attacking is OK is because some players enjoy defending for hours, it seems obvious that the rules should match them up.

Surely defending for hours will be even more enjoyable if there's a greater likelihood that a ninja attacker will show up because the rules make that the only way you can ninja attack.