asatru5555

End CP guarding duty

64 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

What you may consider boring work might just be fun and rewarding for others.

go and ask the CP guards, and that people that don't guard. everyone would rather do something else.

talk to those other man, your backing a army of smoke.

4 minutes ago, kase250 said:

The fact is that we are some customers that like to ninja attack and dont mind to defend some CPs. Yes, guarding a CP for hours can be boring but its supposed to be a teamwork.

ninja isn't teamwork though.

to be clear AFAIK in forum language: ninja-ing is solo-person solo-objective. a attack is at least 4-5 on a objective.

what do you mean by ninja attack? it doesn't make sense with this^ in mind.

guard duty forces population down which also forces activity down.

we all know the game needs lots of people to truly shine, freeing up guards can help improve the overall gameplay. it's a free population boost

5 minutes ago, jwilly said:

OK, sounds good. How about a mechanic that a CP cannot be ninja attacked unless it's guarded by a player that enjoys guarding for hours?

If the reason that ninja attacking is OK is because some players enjoy defending for hours, it seems obvious that the rules should match them up.

Surely defending for hours will be even more enjoyable if there's a greater likelihood that a ninja attacker will show up because the rules make that the only way you can ninja attack.

i think they're just anti-change or arguing for the sake of arguing

even the guys opposing it have a record of anti-ninja posts.

Edited by major0noob

Or, like me, they don't like this very specific suggestion. There are other ways to reduce or eliminate ninja capping that doesn't involve magic capture broadcasting like we're in CoD or H&G or WT or Day of Infamy or etc. etc.

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, major0noob said:

even the guys opposing it have a record of anti-ninja posts.

Sorry, but you are the only who argue for the sake of arguin. Like your "ONLY 1 FMS" war... 

For me, a ninja cap is when you cap  a CP being hidden until the radios get hot avoiding any enemy contact. Then you assault the CP with your assault team, if no one is guarding, bad luck. 

A NINJA Cap is when you attack and the enemy is not aware that you are in (except for EWS...) no rambo caps... Who is defendign here a only guy who take a town???

Its a shame that english is not my native language, I would like to argue better...

And yes, sometimes the ppl who want to change stuff because they worth it are guilty of turning a game into garbage...Like the FANTASTIC Infantry mobile sapwn idea!!! It was and amazing change, sure!

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, jwilly said:

OK, sounds good. How about a mechanic that a CP cannot be ninja attacked unless it's guarded by a player that enjoys guarding for hours?

If the reason that ninja attacking is OK is because some players enjoy defending for hours, it seems obvious that the rules should match them up.

Surely defending for hours will be even more enjoyable if there's a greater likelihood that a ninja attacker will show up because the rules make that the only way you can ninja attack.

I repeat, there is no need of hours of guarding a CP in a DO except in a few occasions or in a contested town (bunker duty).

Just a 2 guys team patrolling and reporting ($here) the status in Target channel.

2 hours ago, kase250 said:

For me, a ninja cap is when you cap  a CP being hidden until the radios get hot avoiding any enemy contact. Then you assault the CP with your assault team, if no one is guarding, bad luck. 

A NINJA Cap is when you attack and the enemy is not aware that you are in (except for EWS...) no rambo caps... Who is defendign here a only guy who take a town???

Its a shame that english is not my native language, I would like to argue better...

imo as long as there's more than 1 person involved it's not a ninja

still, there's no contact in that scenario. it's the same as softcapping

without contact there's no game

I repeat, there is no need of hours of guarding a CP in a DO except in a few occasions or in a contested town (bunker duty).

Just a 2 guys team patrolling and reporting ($here) the status in Target channel.

there needs to be CP guards all day, not just for a single AO but for every one that pop's up.

i don't think you understand why we don't like guarding, it's not that it's difficult, or it takes away too many people. it's a chore in a video game: it's not fun

the number of guards and the fact that ninja-ing exist speaks for itself... guarding is anti-gameplay

2 hours ago, chaoswzkd said:

Or, like me, they don't like this very specific suggestion. There are other ways to reduce or eliminate ninja capping that doesn't involve magic capture broadcasting like we're in CoD or H&G or WT or Day of Infamy or etc. etc.

it'll work though, if ya got other ideas go ahead and make a thread man.

i was talking about merlin and pittpette

Sorry, but you are the only who argue for the sake of arguin. Like your "ONLY 1 FMS" war... (with a month of evidence)

And yes, sometimes the ppl who want to change stuff because they worth it are guilty of turning a game into garbage...Like the FANTASTIC Infantry mobile sapwn idea!!! It was and amazing change, sure!

how about we stay adult eh?

these BS posts are not constructive... in fairness i should've sent that as a message to Jwilly

your still missing the point he's trying to get across

On 6/4/2018 at 7:15 AM, asatru5555 said:

One gripe I have about the way defending objectives works in this game is that it is heavily dependant on people being willing to hunker down in a small enclosed space and staring at a wall. I think we can all agree that this isn't very fun. 

Signed.

This makes for terrible gameplay, period.

1 person likes this

The depots, i dont worry about so much.
Like mentioned above, i just run through them from time to time and check status.
I died enough that i am always walking past a depot.
If one seems to have become suddenly popular with the enemy, i'll go hang out at it and try to milk it for kills to offset all my deaths.
Usually hang out inside it for a bit, then make a run to the next closest depot to check it, then come back, unless the depot is being very active with invaders.

Only when it comes down to the AB bunker could you say i am sitting in a small space staring at a wall opening.
and listening for unfriendly footprints, but by that time footprints always come

*wth? autocorrect makes "footsteps" into "footprints"

Edited by merlin51

11 hours ago, major0noob said:

imo as long as there's more than 1 person involved it's not a ninja

still, there's no contact in that scenario. it's the same as softcapping

without contact there's no game

LoL MajorNoob. Its clear that you and me are in totally opposite sides.... Without contact there is no game TO you, that is the part that you are missing.

I can stay as an adult if you do the same.... How about your comment? If you talk like a kid I will talk you like a kid

14 hours ago, major0noob said:

even the guys opposing it have a record of anti-ninja posts

11 hours ago, major0noob said:

there needs to be CP guards all day, not just for a single AO but for every one that pop's up.

i don't think you understand why we don't like guarding, it's not that it's difficult, or it takes away too many people. it's a chore in a video game: it's not fun

the number of guards and the fact that ninja-ing exist speaks for itself... guarding is anti-gameplay

You know how to play??? Seems not....

26 minutes ago, kase250 said:

Without contact there is no game TO you, that is the part that you are missing.

You want to play with no enemy contact?

1 hour ago, major0noob said:

You want to play with no enemy contact?

How do you say?....  Oh Gosh!!

No, it is clear that no. What I am saying is that announcing the capture of a CP will end up attacking a city by surprise taking a CP by surprise. There are some moments that many of us like to attack without being seen, in a kind of covert action. It's not just hitting shots ...

Being on guard duty for a long time burns but is part of the game, having to guard facilities. IMO and I think that also the others, it does not break the game .... Also as I said, it is not necessary to be INSIDE the CP, it is only necessary to check them and use the command $here. Only when the town is very hot is it necessary to keep a guard inside and in that case, since you talk about contacts, in my opinion defending a HOT instalation is fun and one of the best ways to have contact with the enemy and to kill them.

Hey MajorNoob, I dont have any problem with you. Only seems that me and you, we are in different sides. I know you want the game to improve.

I've done my share of guarding over the years but I can't say it's all that much fun for me. It can be fun if the enemy are attacking the capture point that you are defending otherwise it's rather boring.

I've suggested in the past about some form of warning system so people don't have to sit staring at a wall but people always say that they like doing It, although there's never that many people actually doing it in game.

I personally don't understand those people who enjoy capturing things without fighting for it, the enjoyment for me is in the fight.

It's ok to say that you can just run between capture buildings checking them but if a group of enemy players storms a cp they will have it captured before you've done your rounds.

I've also done my fair share of running between buildings checking them, it too becomes rather boring after a while.

If a group of enemy soldiers storm a cp then that should be their reward for capping as a team.

In the larger multi CP cities this is a valid point and thats why some of them are being broken up in the upcoming terrain patch.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I personally don't understand those people who enjoy capturing things without fighting for it, the enjoyment for me is in the fight.

This is the essential marketing question for CRS.

WWIIOL:BE is a game that is most easily "won" by not fighting for capturables. But, a sizeable percentage of customers are here for the fighting. 

Which is the game about..."winning", or fighting?

Why isn't the game structured around winning only by fighting?

2 people like this

I agree with Pittpete that it's far better to try to persuade players to take a quick run-through check of a CP than barking at them to guard.
It's irritating (and not in the least bit worthwhile) hearing the usual "ffs nobody was guarding spawn" from someone who hasn't been in a CP themselves for an hour, or has just logged in.
People are going to play how they want. I'm not sitting in a CP for too long with my rife, but will happily run in to check one, then try to eliminate the capper and alert.
Maybe some kind of alarm system at 75% cap would help? 
I've also cleared CPs efficiently from outside with rifle and nades far easier than running in. 

12 hours ago, jwilly said:

This is the essential marketing question for CRS.

WWIIOL:BE is a game that is most easily "won" by not fighting for capturables. But, a sizeable percentage of customers are here for the fighting. 

Which is the game about..."winning", or fighting?

Why isn't the game structured around winning only by fighting?

Easy win? Why is easy?? It requires organization, smooth movements, fire discipline, teamwork and specially not to be seen!! If you enter a defended CP you must kill the EI and hold the waves until you cap it. I dont see the "easy" way you talking about.

If you want to fight, fight. We in the 250 Hispana are all day fighting and we are one of the best storming Cps and bunkers. Saying that we "easily won" is silly.

But sometimes is better to be stealth, we play smarty.

We want a sandbox not a fight club, let me decide if I want a "face to face" confrontation or a more sutile one. PLS!! NO more alarms, we have the EWS, it is enough.

Ty.

1 person likes this

How about: Make every capture bar active on the attacker and defenders hud, replacing EWS

So everyone knows where to fight. <<< Huge issue brought up by the steam release. As well as every new player.

OP's idea doesn't need to be intricate, overly balanced, or force difficulty. It just needs to do its job, and it's simple enough to work

Don't forget this game has a strategic level as well as tactical. Realistically, not every town had occupying forces (soft caps). Boring guard duty is very realistic, but nobody is forced to do it. If you don't want to guard, don't (and accept the outcome). Is it unrealistic to sneak into a town to reconnoiter and take whatever opportunities present itself? It seems most complaints are that one can not spawn into an instant fight like in a...uh..... arcade game. One realistic aspect of the game reflects the old military axiom of "hurry up and wait". At a strategic level, it is not all action all the time which would often filter down to the tactical level. How many vets from pre-AO times remember setting ambushes for attacks that may or may not happen? Realistic? Yes. Exciting? No, unless that attack happened, then very, very exciting. 

1 person likes this

Guard duty in a depot can be tedious, to be sure.  It isn't required of anyone, though, and the game has always asked more of the folks who like helping their team.

Guarding AB bunkers is actually pretty intense at times, and truth be told some of the most fun moments I've had ingame have been while guarding an AB bunker.

As ingame numbers improve (hope springs eternal) I believe guarding a depot will also become intense, and guarding an ab bunker will become even more intense.

I will say I am not a fan of the ninja-soft-cap deal.  AI was added to the game to cut down on it, but some of the folks ingame have had 'how to avoid ai' figured out for years.  The timers help, and it does take some skill to avoid contact while waiting for the timers.  I would have zero problem with the stealth-caps if they were conducted by airborne troops, as that makes sense in my 'still wanting the game to be as realistic as possible' frame of mind.

That's all I have to say about that....  sorry, I am just tired and rambling.   Actually, other than some fundamental flaws, like rambo-LMGs and the like, I firmly believe the game is heading in the right direction, and with more people ingame, gameplay will continue to improve.

S!

1 hour ago, augetout said:

Guarding AB bunkers is actually pretty intense at times

remember that night you and i and like 3 greentags held that bunker for like an hour+ ?
That bunker got nuts

On 6/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, Nick said:

I've suggested in the past about some form of warning system so people don't have to sit staring at a wall.

Problem with this is it will give MORE of an advantage to the defender of a town.  

OK... I think that this is a different argument compared to the "Guarding a FB" one.

I am a bit surprised to hear so many only mentioning that guarding CPs requires one to stay sitting inside a CP. I have defended many towns and been almost constantly on the move. The fact is that a town's CPs can be defended by patrolling Guards who run between the CPs and constantly report on the status. Now of course this would change if the enemy stared pressing a spawnable.

Heck, if 2-3 CPs are close to each other, a single guard could keep them monitored.

Now, as to Ninja-Capping? Well yes teamwork is a huge part of this game. But so is playing solo.

I hate to have to say this folks, but no one is ever going to be able to get all of our population to join and play in squads. No matter how much you might want this,,, It's NOT going to happen. there are a lot of folks who either don't want to join a squad, or who can't because it's simply not worth it. This really applies to some TZ3 players. For over 2 years , even though I technically belonged to a squad, I rarely saw or played with them because they weren't on when I played.

Now the game COULD attempt to make any attempt at solo capping completely useless. But consider that every time you curtail the ability of a lone wolf player, you are risking the loss of that player from the game. While some pro Squad players would applaud their departure; it would be a bad business move for CRS. You can't force a paying customer to play in a group if they don't want to.

Part of this game's appeal is that it can be played using different tactics. If it were to become nothing but 'run and gun" for example, then anyone who wasn't a straight up take em on directly top combat player, would quickly find out how little they have to offer the game. I really doubt that making players feel like there is nothing that they can do to contribute unless they join a squad and work with them is the best way to go to keep those customers.

Patrol more, Hunker down less.

1 hour ago, bmw said:

Problem with this is it will give MORE of an advantage to the defender of a town.  

That's true yes.

What about if the game gave warnings in chat every X number of minutes if a friendly capture point hadn't been entered by a friendly unit during Y number of minutes. This could apply to capture points on both AO's and DO's

These could be broadcast to only those on the AO or DO or they could be broadcast on a side channel, maybe even allow people to opt out of seeing them if they aren't interested.

It could even be switched off if side population reached a certain number.

I'm just throwing ideas around.