asatru5555

End CP guarding duty

64 posts in this topic

Here is what you do: allow one AI avatar to be dropped (as with the offline clones) in each capture building. He is not dangerous, he'll be reading the map. When nme units enter he gives a shout "Enemy!" or alternately "Feinde!". The cappers naturally kill him (he drops like offline clones), but now those in the neighborhood know someone is there and can respond as they see fit.

If you put an AI in the building you won't have to guard, and if you snipe the clone through a window you won't have to worry about alerting the defense. Though, there ought to be a thud when the defense-bot falls. :D

This might also be considered an early test implementation of persistent units, which would have profound, far-reaching implications for future gameplay. Thus the idea is not only simple, elegant, realistic and immersive, but also has a great depth of potential and as such ought to be implemented asap. ;)  

Problem with that is the defender gets to spawn right next to the capture building.

1 hour ago, biggles4 said:

Here is what you do: allow one AI avatar to be dropped (as with the offline clones) in each capture building. He is not dangerous, he'll be reading the map. When nme units enter he gives a shout "Enemy!" or alternately "Feinde!". The cappers naturally kill him (he drops like offline clones), but now those in the neighborhood know someone is there and can respond as they see fit. 

Pretty sure we already have that represented in the game with potthead2, 3, and 4. ;) Except, they will likely shoot back!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pittpete said:

Problem with that is the defender gets to spawn right next to the capture building.

As they do now, and as they would with the OP's idea. Best answer to this problem is making the spawn and capture rules as close as possible to real life: modeling the battlefield with the accuracy given the weapons and vehicles. Until then though, this is clearly the most brilliant, realistic and immersive manner of addressing the OP's concerns. 

57 minutes ago, choad said:

Pretty sure we already have that represented in the game with potthead2, 3, and 4. ;) Except, they will likely shoot back!

All the better!

20 hours ago, merlin51 said:

remember that night you and i and like 3 greentags held that bunker for like an hour+ ?
That bunker got nuts

I do, and it was a great time.

S!

I actually agree but I wouldn't mind more information first, a player that provides good comms on side and target chat is usually a big asset to the game so much so it can decide engagements.

- When a town is under attack and the defenders are significantly OP a automatically side notification would appear.

- Same if the town was already undercapture and the town had very few defenders.

- The game should provide more information and comms rated that being the players , this would tremendously improve the game.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, Pittpete said:

Babysitting FBs is tedious.....

Change to capture FBs and it would be much less likely to be so

12 minutes ago, Silky said:

Change to capture FBs and it would be much less likely to be so

How so?

Don't you still have to guard the FB from capture?

EWS at FB's?

3 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

How so?

Don't you still have to guard the FB from capture?

EWS at FB's?

One of the big problems with the blow FB mechanic is that it discourages direct combat because the attacking infantry are feeble. The only tactic is to use surprise, hence avoiding detection and avoiding contact with the defence plays a major part in attacking a FB. 

Change that and you’ll have a different landscape where assault teams can target and overrun a FB and FB defence will become a lot more fun 

33 minutes ago, Silky said:

One of the big problems with the blow FB mechanic is that it discourages direct combat because the attacking infantry are feeble. The only tactic is to use surprise, hence avoiding detection and avoiding contact with the defence plays a major part in attacking a FB. 

Change that and you’ll have a different landscape where assault teams can target and overrun a FB and FB defence will become a lot more fun 

In long term, i would like to go to where YOU assemble the FB, wherever it tactically best suits you (with in the rules of placement)
In whatever arraignment the terrain allows for, with the given PPO objects to build it, plus defensive objects.
(er by given i did not mean current objects)

It would be quite hardened, enough so that it simply requires a fight to take it down, unless the owning side has truly abandoned it without
deleting it.

It isnt capturing it, but i think when you have kind of a personal vestment in the FB
have picked its location for some special advantage, carefully gotten there and put it together, built the fortifications, put in time to make it exist etc
players will feel more attached to it and less happy about letting some guy waltz in and wallpaper it with 100 satchels unopposed?

Not to mention, FB's could be used for more than just travel reduction, you could use them to actually exert control of area in some instances
which could maybe lead to some non town related fighting.

The auto FB's could maybe still be kept and used for the rear FB's under a town supply system?

1 person likes this

On 6/5/2018 at 5:15 AM, merlin51 said:

But it also punishes the guy who spent all the time evading detection and working his way in, and he steps one foot in the door and a klaxon goes off
Or maybe it was a night time paradrop, where there is no respawn chance.

I agree that it can punish people who like to "evade and hide" gameplay. And the reality is that the game needs the paying customers. The way, when we eliminate from game all other activity, except straight fight, like in many other shooters, might be a short-sighted move.
Imo, the game needs to offer to those people something, what can hold them in game and at same time to channel their activity into more interesting also to others.

One a very rough example (because i don't know how will work new hybrid system) -  the enemy's HC will give an order to move a brigade. Now this order in the form of an encrypted message (a document) appears somewhere on enemy's territory and it's location might be designated in gameworld maybe by small flag or something similar. This document stay active until order is executed (i hope in new system those remaining brigades needs time to move from one town to other).

Players, who have enough rank and had signed in their preferences that they have interest in such missions, will see in their HUD an offer to find this document and to bring it to his superiors (who gets with this data the movements of the enemy  etc).
After agreeing with mission, he gets an approximate area, where have to search, time to find and that's it. He might to make mission solo or with friends. At first look maybe not so satisfying, but if people find in current ninja-gameplay something interesting, then i guess in this too.

Main point is that this don't need a big work and at same time will give some additional game elements to existing and the new customers. Also this might evolve in time, who knows, maybe this add more realism also in to main gameplay.

Heh, i would actually do this.
Airdrop in the dark near GHC command, steal the enigma encrypted battle orders, report back to versailles
BUT
Instead of turning them over to French command, i steal the French commands encrypted battle orders, and then i make my way back to London
and turn over both documents to british high command, and britain takes over control of the empire again and all is well as it used to be.

Ok fine, maybe it doesnt let you do all that, but i would still go on missions like that.