• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
tyrdaimp

M4a3E2 Jumbo Sherman

14 posts in this topic

The Jumbo Sherman, Could be a good addition to the game. Especially to counter the Tiger tank Armor wise.

It should be easy to do. Just like the Churchill CS, all it would take will be minor model alterations and increased armor values, and there ya go! jumbo sherman!

Yeah great idea!

Jumbo sherman was real use in large numbers and is from my view a good think for the game.

Sure , my last encounter with a Sherman ( and we talking short 75mm barrel ) went like this .

I see ET wait til I get shot (cause there were trees)  shoot* bamm impact on turret, he turns ,turret fires one round and I explode , OK .

Take next Tiger , I know where he is , get into position , nail him again he stops between 2 trees I got the shot he is in bush , fire 5 more shots into said bush where he did stop, then another Sherman shoots at me ,now I have to pay attention to that one 2nd shot explode him , and then I flame up , spawn out the same Sherman that has received now 3 88shells I know for sure was driving almost next to me , where did he go when he was in that Bush ( something fishy is going on ) 

So I take a Schreck and figure I will hunt him to see what happens ,well funny thing is he is not where he would be but in a total different position that makes no sense from where he was last time he killed me , cause last spot he killed me, he had perfect view into north AB to camp it. Well I found him but another Tiger did also and he had more luck and killed him .

May I add not my 1st time encountering a Sherman , so all 3 impacts of my 88 should gave done the trick but for some odd reason it did not with that Sherman . The other blew up 2nd shot and him I could hardly see , while the 1st Sherman was clear as day.

It's possible your 88mm were penetrating but not hitting critical parts, such as ammo racks, engine, fuel tanks, crew, etc. The turret is pretty cramped, though, so a shot there should have killed one of the crew members. Depending on which side, could be gunner, loader, or commander.

One issue with WWIIOL is that it's not great at providing that feedback, how your shots behave. I really like how War Thunder does it, with the picture-in-picture that shows exactly what your shell did (at least for Arcade mode, I know it doesn't work in Simulator). Perhaps logging shots, showing if they penetrated and what they hit or if they bounced and why in the AAR for WWIIOL will be possible one day.

As far as including the Jumbo in the game, absolutely agree with that.

1 person likes this

doesn't the easy eight have the same armour as the jumbo?

the E8 also had the 76, while jumbos were a mix of 76/75

Don't think so. The E8's big thing was the better gun and the HVSS, not armor.

According to WarThunder's wiki for Simulator (i.e. military-grade specifications, not balanced for Arcade like World of Tanks is), the Jumbo has about 30mm more frontal armor, and has better side armor as well. What other stuff I could find online also seems to support that the E8 didn't carry the upgraded armor of the E2.

Jumbo 75 would be a cool entrance at some point. The armor values are hard to nail down.  6" cast turret, with 5" of extra armor on the mantle that was extended to protect 70% of the front turret. 4" frontal armor on the glacious, with a 5.5" lower frontal hull. 3" extra side armor.  This tank would be decent.  The Jumbo 76 would be more inline to deal with the Jpz4 L/70 class tanks.  They really are overpowered.

15 minutes ago, major0noob said:

doesn't the easy eight have the same armour as the jumbo?

the E8 also had the 76, while jumbos were a mix of 76/75

No, the easy eight was just a 76mm M4A3 with a wide track HVSS.

I sure we could agree that the 75mm Jumbo Sherman would be a great addition to the game.

Utilizing the M4a3 76.2mm Sherman would be the best bet for it. All you would need to do is shorten the barrel and lengthen the mantle a little. Bulk up the front hill and Color the Jumbo the same color as the M5a3 ATG to make it more distinguishable.

I will post screen shots of the concept jumbo shortly

10 minutes ago, tyrdaimp said:

I sure we could agree that the 75mm Jumbo Sherman would be a great addition to the game.

Utilizing the M4a3 76.2mm Sherman would be the best bet for it. All you would need to do is shorten the barrel and lengthen the mantle a little. Bulk up the front hill and Color the Jumbo the same color as the M5a3 ATG to make it more distinguishable.

I will post screen shots of the concept jumbo shortly

The M4a3 was the tank the jumbo was designed upon. However there is more to the Jumbo than just cosmetic, its a different engine and final drive and that would have to be coded in. It is different than the M4a3, the added armor is noticeable, the turret is larger and the mantle is very different. You could attach the sand flaps to distinguish it from a distance. The color was the standard US factory coat you see on the current S76.

21 minutes ago, stankyus said:

its a different engine

Mmmmm
Ford GAA with open headers

I can hear it coming across the field now.
Not that shermans are quite anyways  :) 

Hello All.

Something that has been omitted from this discussion is the fact that the M4A3E2 Jumbo was a Close Support Vehicle (CS). It was intended to be used to support an assault on an enemy defensive position. Enemy armor in the vicinity would be dealt with by other units leaving the Jumbo to support the assault.

This being the case its anti-armor performance is very likely to be very limited due to its ammunition load out. A common feature among all CS vehicles.

The M4A3E2 Jumbo would however be a worthy addition to the Allied TO&E within the CS vehicle set in limited numbers.

Cheers

james10.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:02 AM, james10 said:

Hello All.

Something that has been omitted from this discussion is the fact that the M4A3E2 Jumbo was a Close Support Vehicle (CS). It was intended to be used to support an assault on an enemy defensive position. Enemy armor in the vicinity would be dealt with by other units leaving the Jumbo to support the assault.

This being the case its anti-armor performance is very likely to be very limited due to its ammunition load out. A common feature among all CS vehicles.

The M4A3E2 Jumbo would however be a worthy addition to the Allied TO&E within the CS vehicle set in limited numbers.

Cheers

james10.

They also retrofitted quite a few 75mm versions and factory built them in the 76mm configuration for tank combat. Some of those E2s sport 76mm guns.  ATM our Sherman 75s AP ammo was cut in half. Its primarily HE as it is now. I think we have 42 AP rounds (?) and 45 HE rounds plus 5 Smoke I believe.  It used to be something like 82 AP and 15 HE