gters

Assault Gun/CS can destroy...

38 posts in this topic

FMS/Mobile Spawn? Do you like this idea??

 

Ad why not the FBs also?

 

These tanks would have the role for which they were designed...

 

Edited by gters
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the FBs, it would turn into FB ping pong of yesteryear, 

FMS  I believe can still be taken out but it takes a poop load of HE rounds, if you can get a Truck to supply you or get a ammo box set it be best just to keep it surpressed till an Engineer can get to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OLDZEKE said:

FMS is set to bombs/HE satchel only

 

Exactly.... can you imagine how the game would change if the assault gun could destroy the fms? The tactics of positioning of the fms and movements with the assault guns  change too, because they would be used in a more massive way to hit enemy fms. Practically theiy role in the real life.

Edited by gters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gters said:

The tactics of positioning of the fms and movements with the assault guns  change too, because they would be used in a more massive way to hit enemy fms. Practically theiy role in the real life.

Did anybody find a role for the new StuH42 within the game we play? It's just a very very bad StuG that comes with allmost no ammunition, very long reload time and you still have to hit within 3 meters or less (depending on the direction of the blast) of an EI to kill it with HE while the HE has no other purpose than killing soft targets. On the other hand you have so few smoke or HEAT rounds with your inaccurate firing and slowly reloading not-in-a-turret gun that there's no reason to bring this thing out for anything else than firing HE. That's realistic, but useless in context of the game.  It's the worst vehicle the axis got because it got no purpose whatsoever in this game.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vanapo said:

Did anybody find a role for the new StuH42 within the game we play? It's just a very very bad StuG that comes with allmost no ammunition, very long reload time and you still have to hit within 3 meters or less (depending on the direction of the blast) of an EI to kill it with HE while the HE has no other purpose than killing soft targets. On the other hand you have so few smoke or HEAT rounds with your inaccurate firing and slowly reloading not-in-a-turret gun that there's no reason to bring this thing out for anything else than firing HE. That's realistic, but useless in context of the game.  It's the worst vehicle the axis got because it got no purpose whatsoever in this game.

...and would have a purpose if it could at least destroy the fms?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gters said:

would have a purpose if it could at least destroy the fms?

I think so. It's a howitzer firing rounds weighing more than 15kg. We need something to do for such a gun that's not "trying to snipe EI with your howitzer" or it's just useless.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, vanapo said:

I think so. It's a howitzer firing rounds weighing more than 15kg. We need something to do for such a gun that's not "trying to snipe EI with your howitzer" or it's just useless.

Totally agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand OP and its current frustration. 

But Why destroy a hardly set up FMS? 

Suggesting to increase concussion effect or to temporary  disable FMS and FB spawn after hit could be as rewarding but without hurting a delicate gameplay balance.

Or allowing its blast to insta-kill through walls/objects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The primary historical purpose of such weapons was to take out infantry strongpoints.

The FMS is a totally imaginary concept, of course, so it's hard to know how to align them with that historical purpose.

The more visually sensible role for such weapons would be to kill the defenders inside depots and bunkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jwilly said:

The more visually sensible role for such weapons would be to kill the defenders inside depots and bunkers.

That's true, but sadly that's allmost impossible in this game. There is no wall penetration. There is no ricochet. Every ruin is a perfectly fortified bunker made of durasteel. And even if you manage to shoot your inaccurate howitzer into an open window, it will most likely only kill EI thats lining up on the wall behind that window while everybody else in that room will just laugh at what you just did.

I appreciate the effort bringing us new vehicles but this one seems to be totally useless. Even when they manage to correct the infantry damage modell so HE is more powerfull I see no use for this at all.

Edited by vanapo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanapo said:

That's true, but sadly that's allmost impossible in this game. There is no wall penetration. There is no ricochet. Every ruin is a perfectly fortified bunker made of durasteel. And even if you manage to shoot your inaccurate howitzer into an open window, it will most likely only kill EI thats lining up on the wall behind that window while everybody else in that room will just laugh at what you just did.

I appreciate the effort bringing us new vehicles but this one seems to be totally useless. Even when they manage to correct the infantry damage modell so HE is more powerfull I see no use for this at all.

Well once they figured out the Infantry dmg model then the ,Stug3b and the H will actually be pretty deadly without having to get to close to an AB .

It's artillery in a nut shell, myself killed many EI and ATG and AAA by sitting back with ammo support and just let death rain on them. 

Had not much time yet to play with the H model , but I do have to say a bit dissapointed that it looks exactly like the G , a different skin would have been nice ,  I don't even think the gun is any thicker then the G model from what I saw the one time I did spawn it just to despawn it cause EI was at the FB , Ofcourse I was on a FMS mission so when I respawned my INF avatar I ended up at the FMS not at the FB and we lost said FB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was Driving the Churchill with the 93mm Howitzer.... Drove her right into town, Noticed the HEAT cannot kill a simple 232 or pz2c.. Let alone kill infantry with the massive HE rounds.
It has the same, of not weaker effect than standing next to a hand grenade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I kinda like the idea, would give more action for CS tanks and a good reason to use them.

Would just have to really be careful how it was implemented; how many shells to destroy, how many CS tanks per flag, per division, per nation - etc.

I would be far happier with no air being able to destroy FMS, just CS tanks I think. (and infantry HE of course)

 

Edited by delems
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, delems said:

Actually I kinda like the idea, would give more action for CS tanks and a good reason to use them.

 

 

this is the point and my idea came from here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tyrdaimp said:

Noticed the HEAT cannot kill a simple 232 or pz2c

Remember HEAT while working good, is like stabbing a knitting needle through the object.
There is no spall or post pen shrapnel, and the game does not yet do the nasty flaming hot cloud of poisonous gasses or splattering slag afaik.

Can not say on the HE, could be part of the issue they are working on already to get infantry to properly croak when hit by frags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

HEAT (...) no spall or post pen shrapnel

Seems as if I recall @scotsmansaying some time back that HEAT would work much like AP, i.e. it would generate spall as it penetrated.

Just much less, due to the diameter of penetration being much less.

Or was that for the future...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 1:33 AM, gters said:

FMS/Mobile Spawn? Do you like this idea??

 

Ad why not the FBs also?

 

These tanks would have the role for which they were designed...

 

very good idea....as it s done, the CS vehicles are almost uselles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CS vehicles could set up PPOs and FMS' to balance this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these CS vehicles might be useful if infantry riding on them were some how protected or immune from fire - like an armoured APC of doom,

A lot of pictures i see of these CS tanks had infantry riding on them.

Or they could be used as  mobile artillery like big mortars which the howitzer was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, guevara said:

very good idea....as it s done, the CS vehicles are almost uselles. 

I have found that the really are not useless.  I have blinded stugGs and Tigers with them to where they where ineffectual.. The Tiger I smoked constantly got flanked and destroyed by a Cru3 and we only had T2 BEF tanks avail. I could see the Tiger with my commander. The 3" is like a mortar at 1.2k and I just found the range and kept smoke on him and we where able to get a tank on his flank. Prior we could not get anything out that side of the AB.

I gave the CH5 CS a whirl and saved myself for a bit with smoke last night but eventually got killed. The CH5 on the Mac Client however is borked, it has no gun elevation. Anything beyond 600m or so you have elevate so high you cant see the target which makes its HEAT rounds basically only good at about 200m because you just cannot range them before your 5 HEAT are  gone.. its very hard to range past 200m as it is.  Its also extremely slow, almost R35 slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, actonman said:

I think these CS vehicles might be useful if infantry riding on them were some how protected or immune from fire

None of the CS tanks so far are designed like a Merkava, with room for troops in the fighting compartment.

Having riding infantry immune from enemy fire would be magical, and not in a good way.

A lot of effort goes into making WWIIOL:BE realistic. Gameplay functionality shouldn't break that realism.

If you want to protect troops, put them in an APC, protect that APC with infantry support tanks,  and fire a bunch of smoke to mask enemy positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 4:08 PM, tyrdaimp said:

I was Driving the Churchill with the 93mm Howitzer.... Drove her right into town, Noticed the HEAT cannot kill a simple 232 or pz2c.. Let alone kill infantry with the massive HE rounds.
It has the same, of not weaker effect than standing next to a hand grenade.

It's HEAT has 110mm penetration at 30 degrees - it can kill anything - but I'll check it one more time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tier 0 would be a nightmare for Axis. A Matilda that can take down spawns and fire bases? It's hard enough with them doing what they do now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scotsman said:

It's HEAT has 110mm penetration at 30 degrees - it can kill anything - but I'll check it one more time...

I think part of it is getting used to having HEAT.  Watched a CH5 put his HEAT into a 4G from mb 50m last night that rolled into town. He did get the engine to smoke brown and white but that was it and got blown away when the 4G backed up and shot him.  Mind you it was from the flank. I think part of it might have been shot placement- HOWEVER its still not the same with respect to the Axis 75mm HEAT on the StugB and 4D.  They still slice through armor with devastating results.. I even was in the WTF mode, I was expecting nothing less than a instant dead 4G. Had that been a shermans flank or S35 and a stugB shooting it- it would have been a hulk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.