tyrdaimp

Old Classification!

10 posts in this topic

Any one remember the good old days when Your rank and position determined how you looked? 

I remember being a sniper in the French army looking for the Axis High Command with their Officer uniforms and the red stripe down the side!

Or seeing the NCO's look different from regular troops, as well as OIC's, and whatnot?

Gahh cant wait until those days come back!

Here's a couple of Axis officers caught sniping...

ghc

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

any news on potentially looking at new animations in the future? Inf combat is really hard to get into with how robotic movement is. I just want to be able to take a step backwards while aiming and if possible not have the feeling of my eyeball being pulled on every time I aim down sights, thanks!

Edited by knucks

6 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

Models01.jpg

Yes, give the French a RED stripe on the the top of their hat... so they can be easily spotted in the green bushes.  <_<

Edited by lipton

16 minutes ago, lipton said:

Yes, give the French a RED stripe on the the top of their hat... so they can be easily spotted in the green bushes.  

You notice that only the axis uniform in this pictues is shimmering like a wedding dress, right? Oh, I like those nice and flashy silver stripes on the epaulet and the side cap. Maybe we could add some chrome coated iron crosses?

Edit: And looking at those big orange pouches the frenchie is carrying around I wonder why you think the thin red line on the cap is what's destroying his camo.

Edited by vanapo

One of the tasks of the designers and artists of a PvP game is to assure that customers always can spot targets.

If camo actually worked in-game...if players could visually hide...they could kill without being killable themselves. In PvP game design, in principle if you can kill, someone can spot you and kill you in return.

So "camo" isn't really. In-game, it's a kind of backwards-simulation, resonating with the historical look while actually having the opposite function.

All of the game visuals are walking a tightrope between looking historically realistic, and visually standing out against the also-intentionally-not-quite-visually-real game world.

11 minutes ago, jwilly said:

So "camo" isn't really. In-game, it's a kind of backwards-simulation, resonating with the historical look while actually having the opposite function.

I won't argue with you on that. But of course liptons criticism is somewhat eligible because if you say that uniforms should stick out, you have to make sure that one side's uniforms won't stick out much more than the others or you will run into balance problems.

One has to keep in mind, like you said, that the visual game world is rather limited in shapes and colours. So units that differ from those shapes and colours are rather easy to spot - far easier than in the real world. A unit that is coloured more or less like the standard "earth" or "bushline" colour in this game sticks out way less than a unit that's ... let my think of something that would be really stupid ... a yellow or light grey tank for example - or a truck with a shiny top. 

But I myself  wouldn't judge this topic until we have actual in game pictures of this new uniforms in different terrains/sunlight conditions.

It's important to remember that the presentation above is of the LOD0 models. Most target spotting occurs with higher LODs, and it's common in game design for higher-LOD models to function camo-wise differently than the LOD0 ones.

Two examples: in the early days, the farthest-LOD infantry model reduced at nearly the maximum interaction radius to a dark stick-figure. At the time, the foliage didn't have any colors in it that were that dark. And, the SdKfz7 HT's interior, seen at max LOD from above, flashed black and white as the observer-aircraft moved. Not too subtle. 

A game company delivers satisfying gameplay to the greatest number of customers by making sure that any customer that can kill can be spotted and killed, and by balancing the game via adding advantages or disadvantages to offset what the game-statistics indicate are insufficiently- or overly-effective units.

2 people like this