Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
choad

Ways to improve EWS

15 posts in this topic

In reading other threads, i have noticed the topic of EWS come up and how it can inhibit a sides ability to get the drop on an attack and get set-up properly. I guess that is the point.

However, i wanted to hear some ideas on how EWS can be improved. Maybe CRS could take a look at tweaking it a bit and see if a better middle ground can be achieved. That being somewhere between constant AB campfest vs. regularly being unable to get a force mobilized for attack prior to defense getting set-up.

I guess my 2 cents would be.

1) Trucks no longer set off inf EWS. 

2) Delay EWS by a couple minutes. Meaning first presence detected, wait 2 minutes before showing indicator on map. Similarly, when you kill the last inf in town, EWS disappears 2 min later.

I would start there and see what happens.

No.

A defender needs to have time to get going and react.

I think the 700m for truck is too short as is, should go to 1000m.

A truck can race in, at 700m he sets off EWS (no defender there yet), cut engine, glide 300m, and place an MS 400m from town before literally almost a single defender spawns in.

I think we want fights to happen out of town before in town, and work there way in.

I do think it might be ok to have para planes and paras in the air not setoff EWS, but they set it off upon landing, just to help paras out and give some element of surprise.

I am not saying totally get rid of EWS. Having the alarm bells go off instantly when a player is 700m away is a bit gamey IMO.

Giving trucks the ability to not trip EWS hardly means that a proper defense can not be made. Rather, i think it simply levels the playing field a bit. Defenders have the advantage anyways, even without gamey EWS.

I am only talking about a delay in EWS rather than getting rid of it completely. I just think it may make for a more coordinated attack with better battles, yet not make it like the 'ol days where AB's were often totally locked down straight away .

The notion of a well coordinated attack is rarely realized as it stands today.

A "proper defense" reailsm-wise would be for all of the defenders that are going to be part of the initial battle already there, dug in and ready, before the first shot is fired...and the attacker having at least twice the force level, and maybe 3X.

That of course would be in the context of capture being re-defined as no in-supply enemy troops able to put direct fire on the capture area, and your troops there being in supply.

Yeah, for places where an attack was anticipated i suppose. Hard to model in game. When town supply comes it will be not as realistic in that not every single strategic objective had the same amount of defensive forces (or any at all). There were plunty of instances in ww2 where troop movements were hidden and surprise attacks won the day.

So. I am just trying to think of a way where you can properly plan a rapid strike and put defenders on their heels right off. That seems to rarely happen nowadays.

I guess the tricky part is how not to make it the norm.

The problem is that one man's 'set up and surprise attack' is another's 'quick camp'

Perhaps we should be thinking about double perimeters - an outer layer that can be penetrated by a well executed set up that overcomes defence by speed, and then an inner core that provides opportunities for a defender to repulse an unexpected attack

Or, we think more about the actual style of fighting that occurred in 1944, an attack that took ground but was immediately counter-attacked with the end result being neutral. Do we model counter attacks sufficiently, on the tactical level?

We can re-AO a town, but with AO and unit timers etc counters are strategic in nature, once the AO is won, tactically everything stops. Perhaps this is something to examine

Edited by Silky
1 person likes this

The issue can be solved with an improved city design. Silky’s idea of a double layer is the answer and can easily be created by just putting depots outside towns. That would be the first layer to capture by speed . The center of town where the AB is  located would  be the actual second layer requiring full forces to overcome by attrition.

read the topic here and support the idea :

Examples of layouts :

1527971006-village-layout.png

1528218073-attachment-1.png

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

The issue can be solved with an improved city design. Silky’s idea of a double layer is the answer and can easily be created by just putting depots outside towns. That would be the first layer to capture by speed . The center of town where the AB is  located would  be the actual second layer requiring full forces to overcome by attrition.

read the topic here and support the idea :

Examples of layouts :

1527971006-village-layout.png

1528218073-attachment-1.png

It would be interesting to explore the spawn mechanics of this set up. Can the mechanics support the layout, whereby the concept of spawn points falling back represent a force being pushed out of town to a defensive position that can be both the launchpad of a counter and a location of a heroic last stand?

Almost like a rear AB, where the linking FB might lie? 

*** We can re-AO a town, but with AO and unit timers etc counters are strategic in nature, once the AO is won, tactically everything stops. Perhaps this is something to examine

Interesting idea.  Kinda like the feature in kile's NAO.

I'd like to see when a town is taken (fully owned by other side), it is automatically AOd again with a 1 min timer till hot.  Even if all a sides AOs are in use, the town just taken is still AOd and maybe a 20min countdown timer goes into effect, giving the side a chance to clear which AO they chose.  This would far better allow counter attacks.

On 7/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, delems said:

*** We can re-AO a town, but with AO and unit timers etc counters are strategic in nature, once the AO is won, tactically everything stops. Perhaps this is something to examine

Interesting idea.  Kinda like the feature in kile's NAO.

I'd like to see when a town is taken (fully owned by other side), it is automatically AOd again with a 1 min timer till hot.  Even if all a sides AOs are in use, the town just taken is still AOd and maybe a 20min countdown timer goes into effect, giving the side a chance to clear which AO they chose.  This would far better allow counter attacks.

I don't know if I can see it working, unless a re-AO operates totally outside the AO mechanic. For example, it could be that a new town remains hot after the AO finishes, but that would leave players spawned in doing nothing, and town captures usually have such local numbers supremacy that I don't think that would work.

What you could do is tweak the timers so a unit moving in to a freshly captured town has a 1-5 hour time of almost zero supply, leaving it wide open to counterattack. But I'm not sure of that.

You almost want for a town to be captured and for then immediately to be facing heavily supplied FBs with reduced cap timers, FMS deploy timers and increased top tier tickets, greatly favouring a side that loses the town but has enough about it to immediately launch a counter. Maybe, when a unit it bounced, all supply left in it when it bounces is made available for FB-origin attack town missions, in addition to the supply that it fell with, doubling up the supply available for an immediate counter.

Dunno. But I like the idea of giving a huge capability for a side able to organise itself to retake lost ground, given the way battles played out in 1944 Normandy

i think it should be up to the losing side to re AO or not.
It could be that it is not in their best interest at the time to have the town auto re AO and draw their troops away from a more important objective

From my view the EWS System Workshops very well.

What is not working with this EWS what we have ingame?  

The only thing i would add to the EWS is an icon for enemy air during AO/DO. Daily, players keep asking whether there are enemy air in a town we're attacking or defending despite the radar system in the map. 

Edited by gretnine

25 minutes ago, gretnine said:

The only thing i would add to the EWS is an icon for enemy air during AO/DO. Daily, players keep asking whether there are enemy air in a town we're attacking or defending despite the radar system in the map. 

That is pretty much to get a idea if the EA are low like bombers, or if the yellow square is a EA 5k up.

Edited by softserve
1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, softserve said:

That is pretty much to get a idea if the EA are low like bombers, or if the yellow square is a EA 5k up.

Oh, thats new to me. Thanks for the clarification. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0