gt3076r

Transparency on Addressing Population Issue

16 posts in this topic

Is there any plan that has been mentioned yet specifically and directly addressing growing the game's population? With Xoom more or less confirming no more free to play on Steam, I'm left wondering what other options there are.

Look back to a year ago just before pre-Steam. We've got all the same gripes listed in here now as then: low pop, no HC, the same old. It's almost as if Steam never happened, and the game certainly isn't seeing 300-1000 new signed up members as Xoom guaranteed, assuming he meant subscribers sticking around and it wasn't just a hype post.

There are two current-gen, realistic WWII FPS games coming out the door within the next month. This could very well mean even less regularly active users. Need to start thinking of ideas if it hasn't been done.

There have been multiple news posts about addressing the concerns of new players, esp. those from Steam. Better tutorials, better UI, integrated voice comms, etc.

41 minutes ago, chaoswzkd said:

There have been multiple news posts about addressing the concerns of new players, esp. those from Steam. Better tutorials, better UI, integrated voice comms, etc.

From my understanding, these are things being put in place to address retention, not population growth. From what I'm seeing we're back to square one when it comes to getting people in the door. 

I mean, it's kind of the same thing at that point.

You're trying to make a distinction, but even you said:

2 hours ago, gt3076r said:

and the game certainly isn't seeing 300-1000 new signed up members as Xoom guaranteed, assuming he meant subscribers sticking around

So, if you mean: is there stuff in place to get brand new people to try the game for the very first time? Yeah, there's some marketing stuff going on.

If you mean: is there stuff in place or being developed to retain those brand new people so they stay on as subscribers? Yeah, attempts are being made to address their issues with the game.

7 minutes ago, chaoswzkd said:

So, if you mean: is there stuff in place to get brand new people to try the game for the very first time? Yeah, there's some marketing stuff going on.

And what are the details on this marketing stuff?

I just got back into the game after a 11 year break.  While I'm likely to stick around for a bit, here are my observations:

1.) The graphics have hardly changed... in ELEVEN YEARS???
2.) I forgot all the key functions and the lack of in game information is a major problem that is likely to frustrate new users.  If players have to log off to google how to play, a good portion of them will simply not log back on.
3.) The aspects that make the game attractive take a while to appreciate.

And a final thought... killing free to play accounts will hurt, if anything CRS should enhance those accounts to encourage folks to play longer so as to appreciate the game.  Maybe allow smaller purchases ($1-$5) ... like; "rent a sniper for the weekend for a dollar".  CRS needs to compete with the general state of free to play games that are raking it in through the use of benign in-game purchases.  Introducing a game currency that can be earned and also purchased thereby allowing us to buy stuff like, for example; medals, uniforms, camouflage, side arms, etc. might have to be a consideration. 

Not really the thread for it, but I'll reply.

22 minutes ago, reefmon said:

1.) The graphics have hardly changed... in ELEVEN YEARS???

Yeah. There were going to be moves to better models, but Old CRS went under before that could happen. Some work is being done for newer models, better textures, etc. Overall poly counts need to stay low since this is an MMO.

23 minutes ago, reefmon said:

2.) I forgot all the key functions and the lack of in game information is a major problem that is likely to frustrate new users.  If players have to log off to google how to play, a good portion of them will simply not log back on.

Don't know why you'd do that when you could just open up the keymapper, which is even available when you're spawned in.

There has been a news post recently about updating the keys to be more like modern FPSes. Also new UI is in the works.

Keymapper does help, but if you're totally new; i.e. never played before; it only does a little... a lot of functions are  not obvious.  I forgot how to bomb, for example, keymapper did not solve that for me.

A new UI is in work at the moment which is aimed at making the entire experience easier for both the veteran and new user. That is our goal at least

1 hour ago, chaoswzkd said:

Overall poly counts need to stay low since this is an MMO.

Please explain. I thought that rendering was done on the client. `Poly count` is a parameter that only the client should be concerned with.

There really needs to always be a free to play option.  Extra soldiers with rifles and some low-tier equipment use is definitely better than nothing.  That's a no-brainer.  I still don't understand how or why they struggle with this concept.

@dog3

Yeah, that's correct, so I'm assuming you're confused as to why it matters because the game is an "MMO".

If you take smaller-scale games featuring small, limited map, and few players, you can add tons and tons of detail to that. If you have a fixed set of players, or even a proper upper cap of players, you can optimize it: more detail than this and everyone slows down.

Each player is spawned in, and whatever they're spawned in as has polys. So let's say that your system can render (random number) 1 mil polys before your system chugs. The game has 60 players max. Let's say the world gets 600k polys, and the remaining 400k must be divided among the 60 players. That can lead to very detailed models (if that poly count is low, it's because I'm not familiar with industry-standard poly counts at all).

In a true MMO, there is no upper limit (some MMOs use instancing to place upper limits on player counts). There could be 1000s of players at the same place. So the models of the spawned in equipment, and of the world, need to be throttled as much as possible so the game won't chug on players' systems.

Hope that helps explain it.

Edited by chaoswzkd

The only "Steam" free to play option that I would consider, would be, you sign up and get no free all access trial and get very limited access, and be required to upgrade your account from there. When we went free play on Steam, we intended to do good things and offer a path in for people to get used to how things work. 

We got slapped in the face and attracted the wrong people, and it was pretty bad (but important) feedback about what we need to do. Simply turning that back on as it was, with no different path to monetization is not a wise thing to do, or at all potentially. 

Very shortly I'll be announcing a plan in which we can create a new path to monetization in relatively short order, which appeals to the majority of the feedback we've been receiving from the Steam channel. I am not ready to announce that at this very moment, however. Our subscriptions will continue to be as they are with the baseline premise of being vital to our continuation all the same.

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, reefmon said:

Keymapper does help, but if you're totally new; i.e. never played before; it only does a little... a lot of functions are  not obvious.  I forgot how to bomb, for example, keymapper did not solve that for me.

Yell out on the help channel in game, a lot of people will be happy to help, just give them a chance to get out of the line of fire :) 

4 minutes ago, XOOM said:

The only "Steam" free to play option that I would consider, would be, you sign up and get no free all access trial and get very limited access, and be required to upgrade your account from there. When we went free play on Steam, we intended to do good things and offer a path in for people to get used to how things work. 

We got slapped in the face and attracted the wrong people, and it was pretty bad (but important) feedback about what we need to do. Simply turning that back on as it was, with no different path to monetization is not a wise thing to do, or at all potentially. 

Very shortly I'll be announcing a plan in which we can create a new path to monetization in relatively short order, which appeals to the majority of the feedback we've been receiving from the Steam channel. I am not ready to announce that at this very moment, however. Our subscriptions will continue to be as they are with the baseline premise of being vital to our continuation all the same.

Thank you, I'll show this to some people who need to see it.