• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
Zebbeee

1.36 opening Rear FBs: how should it work?

15 posts in this topic

I remind 1.36 news announcing something about "rear" FBs. No details nor confirmation read for a long time, but as I think it can have a large impact on battle dynamics and balance, it could be relevant to brainstorm on this.

So how should it work?

First we need to ask ourselves if these rear FBs would be designed to allow:

• manual ressuply
  • (defensive) rear spawning

About manual ressuply:

I think of two different possible configurations, depending on where rear FBs are taking their supplies from:

1532863988-rear-fbs-copie.png

1. Supply links are reversed compared to frontline FB-town logics: manual ressuply can be done between rear FBs. 

2. Supply links keep the same logics as the frontline FB-town: you'd have two ways to perform manual ressuply.

About rear spawning:

Rear spawning becomes interesting for defenders but, again, the effects will be fundamentally different following to how supply links work:

1532864732-rear-fbs-copie-copie.png

1. Defensive rear spawning just offers an extra anti-camping option

2. Reinforcement rear spawning offers extra supplies (see previous point)

Questions:

• what configuration do you recommend?
  • should rear FBs be permanently open or only at certain moments (AO up, no Ao, on HC request...)
  • should spawning be limited to some specific units?
  • should rear FBs be destroyable or not?
  • should some events trigger specific autorisations or restrictions?
  • Do you have any concerns related to the concept of rear FBs?
2 people like this

Just keep it simple.

If an AO/DO is on a town then that towns FB's are active.

2 people like this

Rear FBs should permanently be up. HQs should be rear-line supply hubs, able to reinforce towns under attack or about to attack via the rear FB

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Silky said:

Rear FBs should permanently be up.

Probably they will be.
As soon as a town becomes front line, the rear FB's would open and the rear towns garrison would become active.
I think thats the idea anyways.

1 person likes this

But with which supply configuration? The second one?

Both sides could overstock lots of supplies  with this. You have twice the amount of tanks for defenders compared to attackers.

Except if you limit tank spawning to FBs only and no longer to ABs.

this is too complicated for me. but I thank all those who are working on this/thinking about this stuff. S!

no matter what the decision on FBs (including remaining flexible and/or testing live in campaign different options) we will be sure to blow them up. 

(until at some other future point they become either fixed/permanent or, better, ppos). 

Maybe rear supplies should be limited to half the total supply. So that:

1. It prevents too much overstocking on frontline towns

2. It prevents of having empty rear towns when it becomes frontline

My vote is for Option #3 (see below), but from the two above it would be #1 (between FBs) for one simple reason: you need to allow players to cut off resupply. If you just need to drive a tank from rear town to forward (closest) FB it becomes impossible to cut off supply without tripping EWS or to hide. If you are going to resupply you you have to drive from the Rear town FB to the Front line defensive FB and risk getting shot on the open road between towns and between the two FBs rather than warping between the FBs.

As for the other things:

1) Option #1 (first configuration)

2) Assuming we are sticking with AOs... hopefully they go bye-bye, but either way keep the FBs open permanently

3) Spawning open to everything

4) Yes all FBs should be destroyable. If you don't defend then too bad for you. Questions become how do they get rebuilt? My vote goes to engineer teams (like a bridge)

5) No event triggering restrictions. Let players restrict themselves (or spawn like lemmings into a camped FB)... again your fault for not defending

6) Only concern is that it is slightlt confusing with too many FBs and becomes too easy and fast to resupply with the two FB system. I would simplify it and remove the FB from the rear town completely:

[REAR LINE TOWN] ----- [RLT FB] ------------- [FLT FB] ----- [FRONTLINE TOWN] ======= [ENEMY FB] (current option 1)

[REAR LINE TOWN] ------------------------------ [FLT FB] ----- [FRONTLINE TOWN] ======= [ENEMY FB] (another option, call it option 3)

Less things to defend, easier to understand for players, clear as day where you need to drive to resupply. And it allows more flexibility to cut off supply. The extra 2 km drive will add minimal amount of time since it will be on road. In my view manual resupply should not involve a 3 km drive between FBs.

Edited by aismov

Whatever,

My bet is: nobody will do resupply missions, or its impact will be very limited. 

Just look at the numbers we have ingame. Be realistic. 

We will use the supply available in town and period. That is what it will happen mostly. At least for 20 of 24h a day unless we see massive changes on population (we all desire this, I wish it could happen).

No numbers for using this system in its 100% capabilities. 

7 hours ago, erasmo said:

Whatever,

My bet is: nobody will do resupply missions, or its impact will be very limited. 

Just look at the numbers we have ingame. Be realistic. 

We will use the supply available in town and period. That is what it will happen mostly. At least for 20 of 24h a day unless we see massive changes on population (we all desire this, I wish it could happen).

No numbers for using this system in its 100% capabilities. 

Sadly, I must agree.....

FBs: huge topic, but...

Rear FBs should not be blowable until the AO is active for 10 min, same as cap timers start.

i also think that one should be able to spawn from rear supply to the link FB as soon as the AO becomes active. That way it is defendable, and useable to break Tanks camps of a town. It would really up game play.

Just a visual representation of what I said above:

FBidea.jpg

My concern with the above two options is that there is too much warping and too little driving. Both models will make interdiction of enemy resupply very difficult. Option #2 probably would make it impossible. In this system it also is clearer for the average player where they need to go in order to resupply a town.

Edited by aismov

On 11/16/2018 at 0:11 AM, erasmo said:

So far we're seeing about a 70% of our respondents on Facebook and our in-game poll indicating that they would be participating in resupply missions.

Who dares, wins.

FYI to all: XOOM mentioned:

"On initial implementation of 1.36, through my testing, I am not seeing the rear forward base popping up with an AO or even contestment on a town. I believe it was discussed and we need to talk about it more. "

So nothing to debate for the initial release :)

1 person likes this