• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gretnine

Squad/private missions

21 posts in this topic

Yesterday during Allied rat chat, we had a discussion regarding long-discussed issue that players from both sides seem to want. Many of you vets and active players have probably had to experience newer players (e.g "Greentags") spawning on a mission, just to immediately start firing their weapon, throwing nades or smokes. Or simply just wanting to do something with a special group of players/squad mates. 

I've been advocating squad or private missions for both sides before, especially for situations when I would like to drive an FMS to AO or FB for so called "special op", only it to get ruined couple minutes later for whatever reason. CRS has been very vocal about segregating missions, because the game in its core is focused on teamwork as a playerbase, new and old. 

I personally brought up an suggestion for squad or private missions, where the current mission tab would have a checkbox to "hide" your mission from the active battles tab, essentially making your mission private. If you wanted to share your mission, you would do so by using the usual "$miss" command and players would join it via the ".join" command. Another suggestion I suggested after BLKHWK8 brought up a timer-based missions (he can chime on his suggestion more elaborately if he wishes), was that you could hide your mission for 10-15 minutes before it would automatically be a "public" mission and therefore would show up on the active battles tab. 

Rats wanted to move the discussion here, so please share your thoughts and suggestions. Lets be civil. 

Edited by gretnine
3 people like this

Any of the proposed solutions would be helpful imo.  

But more than others, I like the idea of giving the mission leaders the power to hide the missions at will rather than forcing a fixed timer on them that they have to beat.  

Edited by Capco
1 person likes this

Back in the early days, squad missions were hidden to other players 

I fully support private squad-based missions.

Although I have the impression there is a need to audit the whole system and reconsider what "mission" should mean compared to setting up "fire teams".

I also would like automatic attack/defensive missions to be implemented first to avoid any situation where no missions would be available to lonewolves.

1 person likes this

Let squad missions be available if the mission leader chooses to let the player spawn.

If he spawns in and acts like a schmuck, don't let him back in.

1 person likes this

Yep, need private squad missions.

Also, need ML control of missions, disable/enable MS spawning, disable/enable mission spawning, disable/enable rookie spawning, kick player, change mission target. change mission source flag (from same town).

1 person likes this

Vehemently disagree for the same reason this has been brought up every single time before.

The game needs new players.

New players are more likely to enjoy the game and stay if they join a squad, become a part of a little community.

New players join those squads by joining their missions. Making it so new players can't join those missions, and pretty much every squad will, means new players never get pulled into squads. They sit there and think there are no squads in the game, or maybe a handful.

New players don't get pulled into squads = no new blood, game can't grow, it dies when the playerbase either quits or dies of old age.

More than that:

Squads making private missions mean that they prevent other squads from helping. It means that every squad will now have to do their own missions, because Squad A has a private mission to blow the FB, and Squad B can't see that so they make a private mission and start running one there, and Squad C can't see either of them so everyone wastes time and energy.

Sure, you could just communicate, but with how rabidly paranoid people are, if you ask "hey anyone going to blow the fb", you'll get crickets unless you met the people doing it in real like AND have attended a family wedding with them.

There's too much incentive for individual squads to just put a middle finger to the entire rest of the playerbase (including other squads) and do real, lasting harm.

There are possible things that could be done to mitigate these issues, like changing how players are recruited into squads, etc., but the issues definitely must be mitigated before implementing something like a private squad mission.

18 hours ago, delems said:

Yep, need private squad missions.

I could see having a mission remain non public for a specific amount of time, but after that amount of time it opens to gen pop.

Also, need ML control of missions, disable/enable MS spawning

This i can see as useful, sometimes you can dupe the enemy into leaving the FMS camp if everyone stops spawning for a few minutes
Or you can get a tank moved in to remove the camp.
Problem is getting them to stop spawning long enough for it to happen.
May want a cooldown period on it so people dont go toggle happy though.

disable/enable mission spawning

As a one time delay at mission start, yes.
We used to have that, it gave everyone time to queue up and organized.
As an on/off switch to be used in mid battle? no, bad idea.

disable/enable rookie spawning

Absolutely not, that is a good way to never have a new player in the game ever again.
Everyone will be disabling green tag spawns, and guess what happens when you log in and find you are not allowed to spawn at anyones missions?
You UNSUB, that's what happens.

kick player

No. Way to open to abuse.
New guy makes a mistake or gets confused, someone kicks him.
Someone joins that you dont get along with on the forums, POOF you kick him.
Someone shot you last week when they were playing low pop on the other side, BAM kicked.
that is just asking for abuse, we have .reports for people that need to take a game vacation.

change mission target. change mission source flag

Those would be useable.
Back in the day, with very large squad ops, there were lots of times we wished we could at least move the objective
as we drove from town to town, and especially air missions

My feeling is that these private squad missions have a default timer of 15 - 30 min and then they would show as public. This would give the squad a benefit over a lone wolf to get an AO set up ect. Also only 1 Squad Private mission per squad at any one time. This way you will still have other public missions going on within the squad too.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, chaoswzkd said:

The game needs new players.

New players are more likely to enjoy the game and stay if they join a squad, become a part of a little community.

Exactly!!!

Thats why its important for new players to join an existing squad to show them the ropes.

I'd bet player retention would be much higher.

Want to keep pissing off paying customers, then continue to let non responding new guys spawn at your MS and shoot their guns and throw smoke.

Instead of mandatory training offline, it should be mandatory to join a squad.

It also wouldnt be a bad idea for an automatic attack or defense mission being created when an AO is placed.

This way players can spawn in.

AO goes up on a town and automatically a defense mission pops up for each cp and AB.

13 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Exactly!!!

Thats why its important for new players to join an existing squad to show them the ropes.

I'd bet player retention would be much higher.

And how is preventing new players from joining a squad because the squad and its members are on a private mission going to help with this?

Edited by chaoswzkd

7 hours ago, chaoswzkd said:

And how is preventing new players from joining a squad because the squad and its members are on a private mission going to help with this?

My proposal would only allow 1 private mission per squad at a time. The private mission would also go public when 1 or 2 things happen. 1. Mission Leader is changed 2. 30 min Timer expires.

13 minutes ago, BLKHWK8 said:

My proposal would only allow 1 private mission per squad at a time. The private mission would also go public when 1 or 2 things happen. 1. Mission Leader is changed 2. 30 min Timer expires.

I think that is a pretty good way to handle it. Of coyrse if a non-squad member .j 'd the mission they could access the mission regardless.

I definitely feel that we do need squad missions. Squads get seriously annoyed when they've spent half an hour organising their members, setting up a good zoc, fms's, atgs etc only for a non squad member to ruin the whole thing by running around in the open, dropping smoke, using open chat, firing at nothing etc etc. 

I think those squad missions should be available for everyone to see but you can't join unless you are in that squad. If people see squads setting up awesome organised missions they will likely want to join that squad.

I honestly think that if squads had this abbillity you would see them setting things up a lot more.

I like the idea of the mission leader being able to toggle spawning on and off on all missions, it could have a cool down so it couldn't be toggled every few seconds.

Squad missions could be opened up to everyone with a button click by the ML. 

I also like the idea of missions being created automatically at depots and AB's by the system.

On 7/31/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pittpete said:

It also wouldnt be a bad idea for an automatic attack or defense mission being created when an AO is placed.

This way players can spawn in.

AO goes up on a town and automatically a defense mission pops up for each cp and AB.

Bingo!  We have a winner!  Even if they just did one auto-mission from the AB.  

Squads and any other affiliated members who want better mission experiences need better tools. The Problem is with the UI.

We need a User Interface that will allow players to congregate and plan before entering battle. Many games call this a "Ready  Room". A mission Leader can set up a mission and alert squad members to join. As members join the mission leader can communicate to them what the mission entails through a markable planning map. The leader can assign and brief each mission member on their duties, recommended ordinance, waypoints, fallback and contingency plans etc...

Non-affiliated players can join but should respectfully follow the team leaders directives. This way new members can learn and experience quality game play first hand. A great way to build a squad.

All missions will spawn at the FB and be required to find their own transport, however once at target they can set up a mobile spawn that will only be seen and used by members of that mission.

On 03/08/2018 at 2:03 PM, carlz said:

Squads and any other affiliated members who want better mission experiences need better tools. The Problem is with the UI.

We need a User Interface that will allow players to congregate and plan before entering battle. Many games call this a "Ready  Room". A mission Leader can set up a mission and alert squad members to join. As members join the mission leader can communicate to them what the mission entails through a markable planning map. The leader can assign and brief each mission member on their duties, recommended ordinance, waypoints, fallback and contingency plans etc...

Non-affiliated players can join but should respectfully follow the team leaders directives. This way new members can learn and experience quality game play first hand. A great way to build a squad.

All missions will spawn at the FB and be required to find their own transport, however once at target they can set up a mobile spawn that will only be seen and used by members of that mission.

In 2009 I dropped some random ideas on this blog and I already made mention of 

-automaric AO missions

-ready rooms for missions (platoons) that once deployed could (would) be locked 

Still a good read for other ideas of you wish:

http://wwiiol-ui.blogspot.com/2009/10/platoon-hq-member-display.html?m=1

1 person likes this

Found that old article from Gophur announcing a vision for 1.35 back in... 2012 :

https://www.wwiionline.com/index.php/component/content/article/17-development-notes/11370-135-and-the-wwiiol-roadmap

It mentions squad missions, HE audit, US paratroops and more PPOs :)

Also changes to the FRU :

" Once placed this will become your new origin and you will then have a new limited range where you can advance your FRU "

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0