• Announcements

    • CHIMM

      RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

      CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Hardlead

One time purchase DLC's coming to Steam!

55 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, chaoswzkd said:

If it's not listed, you don't get it with that pack.

In order to maintain the value of subscriptions, and to guarantee that CRS keeps receiving recurring income, DLC/one-time purchase options for everything in the game will never be made available.

The current DLC that will be offered are Tier 0 supply that will be available regardless of rank if you own the DLC (but NOT regardless of supply), and will be available throughout a campaign.

Lmao wait... what?? $14.99 for 3 Units that for me to use force me to side switch. That are already barely useful in tier 0, can the PZ IIIF even frontally kill the S35 gunner? And that after tier 0 are pretty much useless :lol:

Seriously this is more than stealing it's taking advantage of new players that don't know we have tiers...

I would never in a million years pay that... 

My feedback, split into Side DLC example:

- German Medium Tanks Pack (You get PZ IIIF, PZ IIIH, PZ IVD and PZ IVG plus any future units from this category)

- German Light Tanks Pack

- German Heavy Tanks Pack

- German Tank Hunter Pack (Includes Stug's and ATGs)

That's 60$ just on those packs.. 15$ still looks kinda expensive would be more comfortable at 10$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pbveteran said:

Lmao wait... what?? $14.99 for 3 Units that for me to use force me to side switch. That are already barely useful in tier 0, can the PZ IIIF even frontally kill the S35 gunner? And that after tier 0 are pretty much useless :lol:

Seriously this is more than stealing it's taking advantage of new players that don't know we have tiers...

I would never in a million years pay that... 

My feedback, split into Side DLC example:

- German Medium Tanks Pack (You get PZ IIIF, PZ IIIH, PZ IVD and PZ IVG plus any future units from this category)

- German Light Tanks Pack

- German Heavy Tanks Pack

- German Tank Hunter Pack (Includes Stug's and ATGs)

That's 60$ just on those packs.. 15$ still looks kinda expensive would be more comfortable at 10$

Having "side" packs would create too many different packs, makes much more sense to just have one with all of the same category

And as previously mentioned, Heavy tanks and other top tier Equipment and tank hunters will continue to be exclusive to Subscribers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intermissions and training server offers opportunities to try out the heavier stuff. If you find teammates you can enjoy some battles at that moment or at that place 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pls create the Naval DLC for the DD.

Two Friends from me is BGE to extensive for every month but with a cheap Naval DLC they can Play with me more as KM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbveteran said:

My feedback, split into Side DLC example:

- German Medium Tanks Pack (You get PZ IIIF, PZ IIIH, PZ IVD and PZ IVG plus any future units from this category)

- German Light Tanks Pack

- German Heavy Tanks Pack

- German Tank Hunter Pack (Includes Stug's and ATGs)

If CRS pursued this, it would instantly de-value subscriptions. How would you suggest that CRS maintain the value of subscriptions if they allowed all of the equipment to be purchasable one-time DLC?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, chaoswzkd said:

If CRS pursued this, it would instantly de-value subscriptions. How would you suggest that CRS maintain the value of subscriptions if they allowed all of the equipment to be purchasable one-time DLC?

First Subscription price is too high if it was at 9.99(everything included).. there would be still much value in a subscription.

- German Medium Tanks Pack

- German Light Tanks Pack

- German Heavy Tanks Pack

- German Tank Hunter Pack

- German AFV Pack (including armored trucks and armored cars)

- Fighter Planes Pack

- Bombers Planes Pack

- Shipping Pack

- Elite/specialized  Infantry Pack

x 3/4(if you include Italians) at 10$ a pack

270/360$ 

That's 2 years worth of full time subscription... if you were too purchase everything. Of course most would just purchase the pack they would play or enjoy the most but you have to see this in the perspective that those players would probably be more active increasing player population which would in turn bring more players that would then purchase more packs. Every modern MMO requires new blood, new players to keep checking out the game and that what WW2ol needs a steady stream of new players.

Also if every pack guarantee future units of that pack, every new unit added to it  would at least temporarily increase the player population since there would be no barrier to entry.

 

For me WW2ol is just worth playing with access to half decent tanks as a F2P there is very little to do, that's why as a F2P I barely even play xD while warthunder I play at least once a week. I would definitely pay around 12$ to have perma access to the IVG/IVD/IIIH, other than that I see no reason to pay for this game at it's current price unless the panther is added xD

Edited by pbveteran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, pbveteran said:

I would definitely pay around 12$ to have perma access to the IVG/IVD/IIIH, other than that I see no reason to pay for this game at it's current price unless the panther is added xD

I hate to disappoint but... not gonna happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pbveteran An interesting proposal.

One thing to keep in mind is that the game has been running in more or less continuous operation for 17 years. 2 years, in the grand scheme of things, is not unreasonable for people to consider, especially in the case of MMOs. Even if people are typically very bad at cost-benefit analysis.

What you would then have is a great many people purchasing DLCs, for maybe two years worth of subscription. This would maybe provide a nice little cash injection for CRS.

However, CRS would then be put on a timeline. "We must make enough content to make enough new DLCs to cover the expenses for the next two years." If CRS fails to do so, they go under. If they succeed, they reset the timer.

This is more or less the same financial strategy as League of Legends and World of Warcraft, with the former focused on recurring releases of new content and premium aesthetic purchases, and the latter supported by subscription and expansion purchases. Perhaps a better comparison would be Paradox Interactive, which releases yearly DLC from $15 to $20 for games that are now getting quite old.

If CRS as a company used this strategy at its inception, or 15 years ago, or 10, or 5, the game would be dead today. It is a niche title in a niche market. Arcade shooters, from Call of Duty to Tribes to Unreal, interest everyone to some degree. War Sims interest a very small minority of players, even if platforms like Steam allow CRS to access almost the entirety of that small minority.

CRS would have to continuously market new content on a recurring basis to a small population, with that content restricted to only what historical records and documentation still remains today. This is a failing strategy, because eventually, content runs out, and going beyond that will [censored] off a lot of people.

The only possible saving grace for this strategy is the proposition that the influx of new blood so extremely multiplies the financial gains that CRS gains enough money to stay solvent for the distant future, not merely 2 years. This is risk, because either it succeeds, or the game is guaranteed to eventually shut down and CRS closes its doors.

 

Above all, CRS is trying to be financially wise while exploring new options. Subscriptions are non-negotiable, because it's the only source of guaranteed recurring income. That keeps the servers running, the lights on, the staff paid, the licenses valid, etc.

Offering the entire game for any amount of one-time purchase is conceptually removing the necessity of the subscription, and someone who can run the numbers sufficiently well can start calculating an expiration date as soon as those options are made available.

WWIIOL isn't in a position like War Thunder or World of X games where it can just start going into the post-war, or come up with fantasy vehicles, respectively. It also isn't in a position where new content can continuously be released as long as you have decent artists and writers, as in fantasy games like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Elder Scrolls Online, etc. It's also a literal interpretation of history, rather than an abstraction, which means there are very few ways to actually present gameplay and thus rules out the Paradox model which earns money because they keep re-interpreting their games in interesting ways.

Hopefully this has served to be persuasive that one-time purchases for everything is a bad financial decision, even if CRS might theoretically profit greatly in the short-term, because what everyone cares about is the long-term.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbveteran said:

First Subscription price is too high if it was at 9.99(everything included).. there would be still much value in a subscription.

- German Medium Tanks Pack

- German Light Tanks Pack

- German Heavy Tanks Pack

- German Tank Hunter Pack

- German AFV Pack (including armored trucks and armored cars)

- Fighter Planes Pack

- Bombers Planes Pack

- Shipping Pack

- Elite/specialized  Infantry Pack

x 3/4(if you include Italians) at 10$ a pack

270/360$ 

That's 2 years worth of full time subscription... if you were too purchase everything. Of course most would just purchase the pack they would play or enjoy the most but you have to see this in the perspective that those players would probably be more active increasing player population which would in turn bring more players that would then purchase more packs. Every modern MMO requires new blood, new players to keep checking out the game and that what WW2ol needs a steady stream of new players.

Also if every pack guarantee future units of that pack, every new unit added to it  would at least temporarily increase the player population since there would be no barrier to entry.

 

For me WW2ol is just worth playing with access to half decent tanks as a F2P there is very little to do, that's why as a F2P I barely even play xD while warthunder I play at least once a week. I would definitely pay around 12$ to have perma access to the IVG/IVD/IIIH, other than that I see no reason to pay for this game at it's current price unless the panther is added xD

Which Modern MMO are you refering to? COD has a new game come out every year with window dressing for 69.99 plus DLC expansions (subscribtion based or one time fee) every quarter or so. They make 1 or 2 new maps (limited in size) and refresh old ones on a rotation. Same with Battlefield. This game has a unique game structure and mechanic. 1 time DLC downloads are to appeal to the Steam market (less expensive pricepoint) and hopefully get the to experience the "WWII OL Moment" that they decide to keep playing.

My personal suggestion (which requires our billing system to be updated) would be to offer DLC content in blocks. For example: I can only play on weekends and really only like the air game so we offer an Air Pass DLC for 4.99 to grant you 24 hr access to that weapon class. Same for Infantry and Armor. Navy/ATG/AAA/Para would be the fourth. So if I play 3 weekends a month I get the same value as a sub yet on the rare occasion I can play a little more I have full access to everything. The value is in the sub. 

Before you jump down my throat for price point.  We have overhead costs to keep the servers up and maintained. Most of the CRS staff are volunteers which means the subscription has gone thru a cost-analysis for operations breakeven point. As we venture into the current DLC proposal we need to see the reaction and influx of new players/ returning players. 

Is it the ideal monetization method? No probably not, but then again we are not the same cookie cutter game offered on the market year after year. 

The above is my personal opinion and not that of CRS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sajuk said:

Pls create the Naval DLC for the DD.

Two Friends from me is BGE to extensive for every month but with a cheap Naval DLC they can Play with me more as KM.

 

Sorry, but DD is top tier equipment and will be continue to be Subscription Exclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BLKHWK8

The DLC model I mention to work should had been in place when WW2ol launch on steam, me and many adverted going with Steam release without a modern model would be a wasted opportunity. As many past rats said WW2ol was always like a bucket with holes draining water all the time to keep the bucket full you had to keep pouring water, Water/subs. So you could have potential gotten in the short term a good amount of money and then reinvested trying to keep that based interested in the game with more content and more DLC. And it would still be risky, warthunder has that model but their pipeline is really effective they can easily implement like 6+ vehicles per month sometimes completely different, CRS don't have a working pipeline that would make a DLC model viable.

 

Credit/Point system together with a single all access subscription

The model I want is based on opening the entire game to free accounts based on a point/credit based system the more you play, the more daily objectives you complete the more points you get, then you can spend it in one time premium units spawns. These would have to be correctly priced(with virtual currency) so players had to invest a considerable amount of gameplay to be able to enjoy some this premium features. Due to the fact that premium units in WW2ol to not equal a successful sortie and that you can easily flank would make this a frustrating course and grinding course to be able to enjoy fully the game, if you then had a very attractive subscription like all in at 9,99.

WWOL benefits enourmly with more players playing.. this solution would offer it plus it would slowly "addicting" this free players in using this premium units when they had disposable income I'm sure they would subscribe.

 

In the end most people dont want to spend 14$ when for around that price you can buy so much more with other games, so you don't want to offer a fair market price you want an attractive and cheap price like they are getting an amazing opportunity. Don't compare this game with COD or any modern game with an active player based of millions and modern graphics and marketing budget and viral/hype campaigns.

Edited by pbveteran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ARRADIN said:

 

Sorry, but DD is top tier equipment and will be continue to be Subscription Exclusive.

Great Naval push/support for Game... :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Not a single post in the most used section of the WWII Online Forums... in 13 hours.  The bell tolls for thee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lipton said:

Wow. Not a single post in the most used section of the WWII Online Forums... in 13 hours.  The bell tolls for thee. 

Everyone's busy with RDP raids now that it means something, lol.  

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lipton said:

Wow. Not a single post in the most used section of the WWII Online Forums... in 13 hours.  The bell tolls for thee. 

Also, this is mostly targeted at Steam currently
And most of them dont have forum accounts here, they use steams WWII Online forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

Also, this is mostly targeted at Steam currently
And most of them dont have forum accounts here, they use steams WWII Online forum

Yeah the comments on steam for the DLC are a real bed of roses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol:

 

But actually... I just ment the Forums in general are D.E.A.D. 

Edited by lipton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lipton said:

:lol:

 

But actually... I just ment the Forums in general are D.E.A.D. 

you're missing the wit, wisdom and sober reflection on the time's burning issues in the OT Forums.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2018 at 10:54 PM, rendusp said:

Yeah the comments on steam for the DLC are a real bed of roses.

Hi Debbie.

 

Edited by agenda21
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, XOOM said:

I hate to disappoint but... not gonna happen. 

You should really consider if you ever need to scrap the barrel or CRS releases a significant update with a lot of toys and gameplay improvements and would be getting a lot of exposure.

CRS has 500.000 accounts I would say at least 250.000 unique ones you sell just one package to 100k and you just made a million dollars.

 

For perspective warthunder sells premium vehicles(rare and interesting ones not the mass produce vehicles) for 4 to 30$ usd.. this vehicles allows customization and of course have better graphics than WW2ol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 11:36 PM, pbveteran said:

Credit/Point system together with a single all access subscription

The model I want is based on opening the entire game to free accounts based on a point/credit based system the more you play, the more daily objectives you complete the more points you get, then you can spend it in one time premium units spawns. These would have to be correctly priced(with virtual currency) so players had to invest a considerable amount of gameplay to be able to enjoy some this premium features. Due to the fact that premium units in WW2ol to not equal a successful sortie and that you can easily flank would make this a frustrating course and grinding course to be able to enjoy fully the game, if you then had a very attractive subscription like all in at 9,99.

WWOL benefits enourmly with more players playing.. this solution would offer it plus it would slowly "addicting" this free players in using this premium units when they had disposable income I'm sure they would subscribe.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sajuk said:

Can a Steam DLC player Join the high Command?

We're discussing ways of opening up the High Command to more players, starting with the "Starters" and the "Leadership" guys. Quite frankly at this stage any capable person who is interested in joining, should be able to, provided they adhere to the Articles of Conduct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to get questions on this from squad mates that are FPA currently.  Please answer each of the below if able:

So, come 9/1 FPA will become Reserve?

Reserve will only have access to rifle?

Reserve all be able to earn unlimited rank (to Lt Col)?

Steam Reserve will be able to buy DLCs giving access to some gear for life?

Organic Reserve will be able to buy DLCs giving access to some gear for life?

Steam or Organic Reserve will be able to buy multiple DLCs to have access to more gear?

 

My squaddie is Organic FPA currently, he has his eye on 3 DLCs, and is confused/concerned, is the above all accurate?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.