XOOM

Infantry Keymapper Changes Incoming

20 posts in this topic

One of the big things coming down the pipeline to improve the new users game experience is modifying the "default keymapper," so that we are more in-line with the modern FPS market. Our keys for WWII Online are specific to us for the most part but is pretty offsetting for the majority of new users coming in. So these changes are basic but very important.

If you have a modified keymapper, it should hold, at least until you re-install the game. But you can edit the keys however you wish.

Sending this out for you guys to see what's coming.

FUNCTION CURRENT KEY NEW KEY
Jump on / off vehicle J F
Select Weapon 10 (Binos) 0 B
Crouch F L CTRL
Prone V Z
Deploy B C
Toggle Free Look N L ALT

UI Text Changed (for Infantry Only)

CURRENT NEW
Select Weapon 10 Use Binoculars
Deploy Deploy Weapon
Use weapon Fire Weapon
Gunsight\Alt Deploy Aim / Alt Deploy Weapon

The key mapper changes for the prone and crutch position really don't seem like a good idea to me.  These are heavily used keys that currently are employed with your index finger (assuming you use the home row method). Moving them to be deployed with with your smallest finger seems wrong to me.   I have tried it out and find it a bit awkward to use my small finger for the left control and z key- to get the control key i actually have to pivot my hand and hope to find the home row after.  

The J and N key are far less used than the crutch and prone keys- from a user experience it would make far more sense to move the current j and n key to the control and z key and keep the crutch an prone keys as they currently are.  I think if you move the prone and crutch function you will have many unhappy customers.

14 minutes ago, blakeh said:

The key mapper changes for the prone and crutch position really don't seem like a good idea to me.  These are heavily used keys that currently are employed with your index finger (assuming you use the home row method). Moving them to be deployed with with your smallest finger seems wrong to me.   I have tried it out and find it a bit awkward to use my small finger for the left control and z key- to get the control key i actually have to pivot my hand and hope to find the home row after.  

The J and N key are far less used than the crutch and prone keys- from a user experience it would make far more sense to move the current j and n key to the control and z key and keep the crutch an prone keys as they currently are.  I think if you move the prone and crutch function you will have many unhappy customers.

This is what almost every other Modern FPS game has for its keys? I'm not sure I follow the logic. I think it may be uncomfortable initially for our current users since they're used to it. But the change is coming and it's a necessary one.

5 minutes ago, XOOM said:

This is what almost every other Modern FPS game has for its keys? I'm not sure I follow the logic. I think it may be uncomfortable initially for our current users since they're used to it. But the change is coming and it's a necessary one.

Agreed.  I believe it'll be easier for us vets to change our keymapper settings (that we are already familiar with), than for new players to try and figure it all out on the fly.

1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, blakeh said:

This will not change anything you have custom keymapped, nor will it prevent you from remapping as you desire
It is just adopting what has become over the years a standard default FPS layout used over and over in many games.

I dont use it, ask the guys what they think of my infantry keymap LoL

Well i think anyone who uses the left control and z for crouch and prone will be at a huge disadvantage.  New players are the least likely to change key mapper settings, so they will be the ones to pay the price.

Bugger, L Control is my toggle mic.  The good news is that its keymapper and I can customize it.

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, blakeh said:

New players are the least likely to change key mapper settings, so they will be the ones to pay the price.

It is actually their feedback prompting the changes though, Old timers just hit up the keymapper and change things to whatever they want them to be.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, pbveteran said:

Already my current defined keys in WW2ol :)

Alright, sweet! It's the only appropriate way to go forward :) 

1 hour ago, GrAnit said:

Ugh!  Have to remap several keys.  

You should be able to retain with current cfml folder.

Just change the them back to how you liked them, is what I did; not as many as I thought.

Though, sure I'm missing one, which I'll find as I die... :)

Hi guys, anyone knows how to lock infantry weapon (rifles etc.) gunsight view? It used to be rightmouse+leftalt, now this doesn't work. Looked at the keymapper, couldn't find anything. TIA.

The only one that messed with me for a bit was left alt, which I use for alt-tab. 

What did you do to the aimbot key? I can't find it.

1 person likes this

Lol.  I didn’t have any key map changes as I have key mapped most infantry movement and views to the top hat and surrounding keys on my joystick.  It works well and doesn’t give me hand cramps, haha.