• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
nugitx

The experience of a new player that starts to play

233 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, lipton said:

I really loved being part of of a squad that was responsible for 6 towns in the center of the map. We OWNED those towns. They were OUR responsibility. It made it personal, exciting ... and fun. 

I used to love the same aspect.. I was with 3CB when I first started to play and our area was Kalmthout and Schilde north of the river line along with BKB.. 

2 people like this

38 minutes ago, lipton said:

I really loved being part of of a squad that was responsible for 6 towns in the center of the map. We OWNED those towns. They were OUR responsibility. It made it personal, exciting ... and fun. 

Yeah... the 4thLMB (100% french speaking squads) had the Anhee-Givet area on allied side.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, lipton said:

Your memory of that time is quite different from mine. I would go so far as to call it revisionist history.  So, we'll have to agree to disagree. 

I never wanted AO's. I've never liked AO's. I blame AO's for SOME of the downfall of WWIIOL... as I said it would cause back in 2004.

AO's have done nothing but further reduce the population ... in turn making them necessary. They were not necessary in 2004. 

Sure, there were times when towns got capped in a "Ninja" style. But, that was also what could sometimes make it so exciting. 

The planning. Trying to over-stock supply without the other side learning about it and preparing adequate defense. You know... like in real war. 

Holy cow. Do you have any capability for reason?

Tell me, why do you think AOs were introduced? If you think they are inherently bad, why would they be implemented in the first place? Was CRS trying to sabotage their own game and drive their population down? 

If the beginning of the population drop was at AOs introduction, don’t you think CRS would have looked at their data and said to themselves “this is hurting more than helping and we need to revert this change”?

The fact of the matter is that the population took its biggest hit on June 6 2001, during the release of the game, in arguably one of the worst releases in gaming history. The game was incomplete, the servers couldn’t handle the player loads, CRS issued mass refunds, and a patch was required just to get the game running at a time when everyone was on dial up and the download took hours.  The population has bled ever since.

Go ahead and read the 1.17 patch notes where AOs are introduced and their justification is laid out. 

Don’t just use your memory. Look at the evidence. Use logic. Use reason. It’s so blatantly obvious that AOs were necessary and still are to this day.

Edited by Capco
2 people like this

When CRS first made this game it was to fill a void.  Back in the day Air Warrior folks know what I'm talking about.  The first layouts of the game did allow a lot of freedom because nothing like this game ever existed prior to WWIIOL.  CRS had no idea how folks would use that freedom, almost like a social experiment.  Ninja capping was an unfortunate reality of players seeking the path of least resistance; now an accepted norm of all online games.  It was not an intended feature and actually led to really crummy game play for folks having to defend on the receiving end.   Just because you enjoyed that type of "tactical attack" does not mean it was enjoyable for others.  I'd say most battles in the current developed version of the game tend to be enjoyable for all involved.  There are still aspects of the game you can do by yourself... being a scout sniper is fun; setting up an ATG/AA gun in a remote ambush spot can be awesomely rewarding and doing RDP runs are a blast just to mention a few.  Still plenty of room to be creative.

1 person likes this

I really don't think AO are the problem more the bugs, some bad mechanics and gameplay, graphics and pricing model is what drives people off, there was a time for ww2ol now I feel it's gone especially with so many other ww2 games out there and releasing soon.

But I understand the freedom of choosing where to attack.. I think the old way was really badly design, so what I would like the game to have is the ability that a subscriber could command one small battalion, if 2 or more battalions were in a town whoever owned the FB could initiate an attack... 

You had freedom but you had to coordinates strategically with other players.

Edited by pbveteran

One of the biggest complaints of pre AO players was : can't find the action until they're already camping the town. This was stated at the time and the whole precept of AOs was to get the bigger battles going and make action easy to find. I played Pre AOs on my first account, 95% of attacks were a single spawnable lone capper and then bum rush. No large battles worth mentioning and if it didn't pay off, rinse and repeat at the next spawnable. 

Delusional to think you could do that with pop levels like there are now..

56 minutes ago, catfive said:

One of the biggest complaints of pre AO players was : can't find the action until they're already camping the town. This was stated at the time and the whole precept of AOs was to get the bigger battles going and make action easy to find. I played Pre AOs on my first account, 95% of attacks were a single spawnable lone capper and then bum rush. No large battles worth mentioning and if it didn't pay off, rinse and repeat at the next spawnable. 

Delusional to think you could do that with pop levels like there are now..

No way you could do it with pop levels like they are now. 

As to 

6 hours ago, Capco said:

Go ahead and read the 1.17 patch notes where AOs are introduced and their justification is laid out. 

Don’t just use your memory. Look at the evidence. Use logic. Use reason. It’s so blatantly obvious that AOs were necessary and still are to this day.

They "laid out" their justification for the introduction of AO's in the patch notes, specifically because so many in the community were against the implementation of the idea. 

It was THE constant main topic of discussion and argument for months before it was introduced. No one can deny that it's introduction caused a drop in the subscription level.  And a much larger drop of the IN-GAME pop levels. 

AO's are now a necessity of their own making.  A better solution / compromise should have been considered.  

The last I'll say on that topic for now.

As to the subject of Squads... CRS ignored Squads WAY too long. They never should have taken away squad missions. They never should have tried to kill squads off.

They can deny it... but they did try to kill them off.. and have mostly succeeded. Squads were the glue that kept WWIIOL together. CRS failed to accept this until it was too late. 

Edited by lipton
1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, lipton said:

As to the subject of Squads... CRS ignored Squads WAY too long. They never should have taken away squad missions. They never should have tried to kill squads off.

They can deny it... but they did try to kill them off.. and have mostly succeeded. Squads were the glue that kept WWIIOL together. CRS failed to accept this until it was too late. 

This is entering the realm of tinfoil hat territory.

I played pre-AO days in the mornings and evenings Eastern time.  Some great battles in the evening, struggling for hours to take a few towns (at best).  Then in the am the 'Breakfast Club' would roll 5-15 towns that were undefended or defended by a vastly underpopped side.  Really frustrating to see towns lost in a 20 minutes that took hours to win over the day before. I just about quit this game beciuase of it, and I think many did.  Yeah, the AOs were not the be-all solution, but pre-AO the population was going down fast and moling with bum-rushes were killing the game.  Other CRSv1 decisions and factors did not help much imo, but those are other stories.  Some type of AO is necessary, and I think 1.36 appears to be a better system.  We will see.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, GrAnit said:

the 'Breakfast Club'

Shhh don't you know what happens if you say it 3 times in the mirror??

cWI4GUL.jpg

2 people like this

17 hours ago, Capco said:

I was there too (join date 20 April 2002).  It was a special time for special reasons that CAN NEVER BE EXPERIENCED AGAIN! 

It can, gameplay can be brought back at any time.  I play plenty of games from 90's and early 2000's, because they have gameplay which games of today lack (like master of orion, heroes of might and magic etc)

ell me, why do you think AOs were introduced? If you think they are inherently bad, why would they be implemented in the first place? Was CRS trying to sabotage their own game and drive their population down?

Developers are humans like us, they make mistakes also,  they had an idea, but this ideas was detrimental to the gameplay which showed after the years (current population).

Blizzard acknowledged this mistake they made, and after 15 years they are making 'world of warcrat classic' which is the first version of the game from 2004 which has different gameplay. (the version which people love the most)

Jagex also did the same with Runescape, by making 'old school runescape' (currently now more popular than the main game)

The game was incomplete, the servers couldn’t handle the player loads, CRS issued mass refunds, and a patch was required just to get the game running at a time when everyone was on dial up and the download took hours.  The population has bled ever since.

That is bad launch, and not 'bad gameplay'

95% of attacks were a single spawnable lone capper and then bum rush

And it's better gameplay than a funneled battle where you spawn and get insta gibbed by someone in a bush.

WW2 online without the 'big scale' is not ww2 online.  The game is not the same since 2004.

One could say that the 'old'  CRS team that is no longer here, killed their own game (by bad decisions).

Edited by nugitx

12 minutes ago, nugitx said:

And it's better gameplay than a funneled battle where you spawn and get insta gibbed by someone in a bush.

What was your former call sign and how long did you play before leaving?  I've had the callsign "capco" since my first day of WWIIOL.  

Were you a member of a squad?

I don't remember what was my nick 15 years ago, I use plenty of different ones.

I wasn't a member of a squad, I usualy play alone. (which in part it's why I favour the old gameplay also, because it allows players to play effectively without squads if someone wishes to)

1 minute ago, nugitx said:

I don't remember what was my nick 15 years ago, I use plenty of different ones.

I wasn't a member of a squad, I usualy play alone. (which in part it's why I favour the old gameplay also, because it allows players to play effectively without squads if someone wishes to)

Did you play for one particular side?

2 minutes ago, nugitx said:

I play on the side where there are less players to balance out the game.

I'm not talking now, I'm talking back then. 

Edit: full topic moved here regarding  a suggestion to change AO setup rules

Edited by Zebbeee

8 minutes ago, Zebbeee said:

If a 1.36 town has an active OIC, heavy inf EWS on an enemy adjacent town would activate an auto-AO after 5min, and capture after another 5min.

I think an auto capture because 5 minutes went by would be awful :( 

And regardless of what lipton wants to remember, AO's came about because CRS got tons and tons of complains
that during times when the server was not running at heavy pop, who ever had the most people on simply had to jump around poking
the front line until either people got fed up with map jumping every 3 minutes setting up missions spawning in just to have the phantom vanish, or could not possibly respond due to a real heavy attack elsewhere, and POOF someone blows through, hops in a truck and rolls off to domino 20 or 30 towns.

Real armies can't to that, and real people dont want to contend with that, it gets old and impossible unless you have 2500 people logged in.
Even if you have 2500 people logged in, nobody likes mole chasing across 100 towns.

Some people yes, they liked it, they ran around doing it a lot
Most people did not like it, they did not enjoy spending their 2 hours having to constantly jump around the map chasing every ews blip
because all you had to do was ignore one and domino fest was on.

Edited by merlin51

Just now, merlin51 said:

I think an auto capture because 5 minutes went by would be awful :( 

I ment the ability to capture flags , not actually capping a flag. Currently the timer is set to 10min when you set AO.

1 hour ago, Capco said:

I'm not talking now, I'm talking back then. 

back then also.

btw, if someone is worried about 'moles' or 'ninja capping' there could be a limit set on every player how many towns he can capture in a span of time.

There are plenty of ways the old gameplay can be 'fixed' while having open front at same time without forcing people into what they have to do with AO.

Edited by nugitx

Just now, nugitx said:

back then also.

Oh really?  

Surely you remember that the game launcher used to be browser based with one link for each side, right?  And that there was no persona selection screen with overpop/underpop indicators like we have today, right?

Not realy, i remember the website being different, the map of the front was in the middle.

Edited by nugitx

Just now, nugitx said:

Not realy, i remember only the website being different, I remember the map of the front was in the middle.

Yup, I do remember that as well.  There was a kind of graphical pop indicator on that page that showed you relative strengths of different types of units, but there wasn't anything that told you which side was overall underpop or overpop.  

Anyway, I see you haven't even logged a single sortie yet.  How do you know about the current state of the game without having played it since your return?  

1 hour ago, Capco said:

How do you know about the current state of the game without having played it since your return?  

Many questions here toward me lol.

I log in from time to time to check if anything has changed over the years on the free accounts, but everytime i check it, I instantly see AO and usualy log off lol

Edited by nugitx