Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nugitx

Middle-ground AO / compromise / idea thread

15 posts in this topic

As the other thread is starting to contain everything, post in this thread only IDEAS to  appease both  pre-AO and post-AO players.

Let's make ww2ol great again ! Together !

1)

Players would have to physicaly move between bases, to stop 'mole' attacks an zerging on towns. Instead of 'warping on the map'.  You would choose your spawn at start, and if you would want to spawn in other area, you would have to be transported or go there by yourself in the game to make it your 'new base'. If it's too harsh it could be set so a player can change his spawn every hour or so. This would open up new gameplay elements, players could create convoys of transports to transport other players, to move to other base, and other players would attack that convoy.

Tankers would have to drive to other base, fighter and bomber pilots would have to fly to other airfield (rifleman would have it the hardest to move, that's why others would drive them in transports, or make a 'jeep' for riflemen, so they can move faster on the map).

This would make the world alive,  you could be meeting players on the map in ways you would not expect before. And it would not be possible to move from one side of the map to the other instantly to mole attack, people would have to think where they want to go next. Where do I have to go, to make the best effort of helping others?

New cooperation options would open up, riflemen could be transported from airfield to airfield by plane pilots to cut down the time of their transportation.

Deep bomber strikes and plane strafing missions, attacking with vehicles behind enemy lines, would have more meaning to intercept a player convoy that is transporting players to other base (which would respawn them in old base if they would die, which makes for a tactical gameplay because it draws back player time which they invested in moving, making an assault on other city open up.

And if someone would be constantly dying while trying re-locate, like I said earlier every hour or two or 30min have the ability to re-locate normaly.

2)

Limit the player ability to capture towns in a span of time. For example a player can attack max 2-3 towns in an hour.  This makes a player commit to a town, if he hops between first 2 towns, he is stuck at 3rd and have to commit his fighting there for the next hour or so.

3)

AO could only be a hint, *showing* on the map where players can attack, to funnel everyone into an area WITHOUT forcing them.  The AO could provide bonuses in different forms so player are *drawn* to AO.

Edited by nugitx

Not a fan of any of these ideas 

2) has the most promise but isn’t something I’d want to commit more time to look into 

#1 Would only appeal to the most hardcore folks.  I do not think this type of play will help retaining new players.  Just guessing, but I also suspect this would lead to a lot more cheating for intel with alternate accounts.  I'm actually with you on this concept, but I acknowledge that you and I are in a small minority that enjoy a more realistic approach to "fear of death".  Most players want to get to the action within minutes and if we want a big player base we must accommodate those folks.

#2 Seems to be there to help rein in #1, but okay, whatever.

#3 Is not exactly clearly defined, if you could elaborate further please.

2 hours ago, reefmon said:

#1 Would only appeal to the most hardcore folks.  I do not think this type of play will help retaining new players.

Actualy in other mmorpgs, you have to walk everywhere by yourself, World of warcraft etc, and people are fine with it there.

In similar fashion to that game, there could maybe be 'trains'  or AI plane transports that would work like 'flight paths' in WoW that would allow for quicker transportation on the map, and make them destroyable for other players as well.

Give the rifleman ability to man gunner at AI transport plane during transportation, so he can have something to shoot at if they would get attacked, or man AA on train.

#3 Is not exactly clearly defined, if you could elaborate further please.

AO would be placed, but you don't have to go there, it would be optional - the thing that would draw players to AO would be knowing that you will get some extra bonuses for participating in the fight.

Edited by nugitx

Actualy when I think about it now, if those 3 were combined, it would be my 'dream ww2 game' lol, - and it would work for both type of players.

The town limit would work great with the optional AO, when someone would 'waste' his town attack options, he would have to go to AO - maybe even allow the 'normal warping' for AO, so those that want fast action - can have it at AO, those that want to capture town on 'open front' would have to move physicaly in the game.

hey a guy can dream, right?

Edited by nugitx

Basicaly it would work like it works now.

But it would give 'open front' that is not so easy to mole/zerg, because the 'open fronters' would have to

1) re-locate physicaly

2) there would be a town limit, if they would waste their town limit, they would have to join others in AO

3) Just allow to spawn near AO normaly, but whenever someone wants to attack town at other part of the map, he has to move physicaly there from the current spawn he set for himself - he would have to go to nearest fb/town near that city and then makes his 'spawn' there(make the 'flight paths' to help in transportation).

If he would 'waste' his attacks, he can then warp back to AO normaly.

This would appease every 'open front' player (as they always took the time to go for long walks, so they wouldn't mind the physical walk - and taking a town would be a reward for them for that time investment) - there would be no mole/zerg - and AO would be as same as it is (just not forced)= win-win for everyone

Edited by nugitx

blocked my other acc by mistake, will be posting on this now.

Defenders would of course be able to 'warp' to defend the city normaly.

Only attackers would have to re-locate.

I would even limit town attack option for 1 for every player  for like 30 mins - 1 hour 'after' the attack (after he dies?).  This way once a town attack is won/lost, the players have to go to fight to AO - 'open front' would be then a 2nd cap option, a sort of 'supplement' to AO.

Edited by nugitxx

Think of this as 2 systems in one game.

AO - what it is currently

Open front - those 3 elements combined to create an 'alternate' game mechanic - you would have alternate spawn on the map (in opposition to AO), from which you would start and have to go yourself to attack any town (but at any moment you can 'warp' to AO for a fight)

Both intertwined together -  AO players would be able to 'warp' to defend 'open fronter' attacks, and 'open fronters' would go to fight with 'ao people' when their 'town attack option' is on cooldown. 

Edited by nugitxx

When the need for  physical travel was removed from this game it lost a lot of its appeal:(

2 people like this

9 hours ago, gagsy said:

When the need for  physical travel was removed from this game it lost a lot of its appeal:(

Yes and I think that even *more* physical travel, like i described above, would make the game more alive inside the world.

Different squads that would go 'attacking' town on opposite sides, could potentialy meet each other in middle of nowhere.

For attacked towns by 'open fronters' have a instant DO the moment they attack so defenders can defend.

Edited by nugitxx

2 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

Hey nugitxx, please grab a starter account and play the game a bit instead if writing théories. You last spawned on 31st December.

Zebbeee, you may have missed that Nugitxx is Nugitx's second account.

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

Zebbeee, you may have missed that Nugitxx is Nugitx's second account.

I missed that one and damn the two  started speaking to each other. Wondering how many they are in the same head :D

both account played lastly on 31 dec and are not linked to a squad and are f2p. don’t know what it means but the point is : guys grab some dollars and you will REALLY help the game make quicker progress.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0