• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
m4t4p4j4r4

About the new DLC and future changes.

64 posts in this topic

Sorry for my english, first of all, isnt my native languaje.

I cannot believe it. So, you have a problem "Need more players, to earn more money, to improve the game, and so on". Your game needs many players to be satisfactory, cause if we want a "real" war, we need a real army. We cannot settle with a "20 soldiers army"

You need to "catch" those new players who log in, you need them to make that huge army.

¿What do they say? They say they need to check a little bit more as free players. Cause you can buy A LOT of games with 11€/m (this is not about the price of a coffee or how much you spend in a year in beers, your competition are the other games). The whole market has changed since 2005.
They want to be sure about what they are going to buy. This is not WoW, wich everyone has heard about (even they have the full freee pirate servers to probe the game, so important thing). They want to see if the vehicles are enjoyable, if the planes are funny, if the different kind of weapons are satisfactory. Because, again i remark, this is not a AAA, they doesnt know anything (almost) about the game, and lets be honest it doesnt look pretty (not important for me, but it is for the market). And it is not a common kind of game (you cannot compare it with any other). Im not saying they should be able to pick the best tank and do the clown. They just want to see if is worth to paying for use a tank in WWII Online, the controls, the aesthetic and kinestetic experience flying, even how does it feel to use an sniper here in WWII Online.

And the maneuver is: Let them check even leess your game. I cannot believe. 

You literally need all the players you can group to make a huge war in a huge map. Every single player you loose in this game is like 10 players lost in a common shooter like Battlefield. And you gonna delete the free accounts. 

¿What kind of war will you have with 18 soldiers? (Steam info) Im sad. Sad cause the game would have been awesome (im sure it was in the past) and im gonna loose it (No, im not gonna pay for binoculars, its ridiculous. No one will do it). 

18 players online right now. If you think this is the path, its fine. Good luck in the future, and hope some day you are able to open your eyes to the new market, the new options and the new players.

Edited by m4t4p4j4r4

Making a post based on steam’s chart is not relevant as it’s a small % of online players.

Furthermore anyone can connect to the training (test) server and try all weapons for free. Area51 is back up and players can have small fights over there for free.

So what do you propose ? Lowering subs ? Prices were already lowered by 20% since the initial release.

Giving more units to f2p? Was done and there was no incentive to switch to a paid account.

An intermediate step will be available this week with DLCs. What do you think of this?

I guess you tried to give a smart opinion but you missed your chance by not developing sound arguments.

1 person likes this

Some fair points but i do think the one time purchase route is worth a try. I don't know how the prices compare in foreign markets where the conversion rate may not be in your favor. Perhaps adjusting prices based on market could makes sense. Not sure the feasibility - but selling 200 DLC's @ $5.00 makes more sense than selling 50 at $10.00.

This is their first attemp at this ... and it may take time to refine the pricing and packages to garner the most interest.

Another idea you threw out there, the full free pirate server. You can login to the training server and get full access to equipment. This is kind of what it is for. However, as a new player you will likely struggle with having to post a mission and find the training grounds area at all. I think CRS could do a lot to fix this up ... and make it appeal to people who want to test stuff out. I would guess most new players have no idea about this.

I would recommend they change the name of the server ... to something like demo server or something. I would get rid of all the flags in every other town, and focus the darn map where it belongs ... on the fort rommel and patton areas. Also create some system (permanent ) missions at the airfields and army bases. So people dont have to fudge around with the overly complicated mission creation system. 

I would also explain to new players that a) this sever exists and b ) what the purpose of it is. Test equipment ... kill stuff .... not objective based, capturing disabled.

Edited by choad
2 people like this

35 minutes ago, m4t4p4j4r4 said:

I cannot believe it. So, you have a problem "Need more players, to earn more money, to improve the game, and so on". Your game needs many players to be satisfactory, cause if we want a "real" war, we need a real army. We cannot settle with a "20 soldiers army"

You need to "catch" those new players who log in, you need them to make that huge army.

¿What do they say? They say they need to check a little bit more as free players. Cause you can buy A LOT of games with 11€/m (this is not about the price of a coffee or how much you spend in a year in beers, your competition are the other games). The whole market has changed since 2005.
They want to be sure about what they are going to buy. This is not WoW, wich everyone has heard about (even they have the full freee pirate servers to probe the game, so important thing). They want to see if the vehicles are enjoyable, if the planes are funny, if the different kind of weapons are satisfactory. Because, again i remark, this is not a AAA, they doesnt know anything (almost) about the game, and lets be honest it doesnt look pretty (not important for me, but it is for the market). And it is not a common kind of game (you cannot compare it with any other). Im not saying they should be able to pick the best tank and do the clown. They just want to see if is worth to paying for use a tank in WWII Online, the controls, the aesthetic and kinestetic experience flying, even how does it feel to use an sniper here in WWII Online.

You literally need all the players you can group to make a huge war in a huge map. Every single player you loose in this game is like 10 players lost in a common shooter like Battlefield. And you gonna delete the free accounts. 

¿What kind of war will you have with 18 soldiers? (Steam info) Im sad. Sad cause the game would have been awesome (im sure it was in the past) and im gonna loose it (No, im not gonna pay for binoculars, its ridiculous. No one will do it). 

18 players online right now. If you think this is the path, its fine. Good luck in the future, and hope some day you are able to open your eyes to the new market, the new options and the new players.

a) There are significantly more than 18 online right now (now=within 30 min prior to your post time). Those #'s available through steamspy (and other such sites) only show steam clients.  

b ) The DLC is a direct response to a multitude of steam reviews.  Many of which said they would like DLC Options, or options that didn't involve a monthly payment.  

c) The free play option had been turned off on steam for a long while, and with the DLC release will be re-instituted (though restricted to rifles).  

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, choad said:

Some fair points but i do think the one time purchase route is worth a try. I don't know how the prices compare in foreign markets where the conversion rate may not be in your favor. Perhaps adjusting prices based on market could makes sense. Not sure the feasibility - but selling 200 DLC's @ $5.00 makes more sense than selling 50 at $10.00.

This is their first attemp at this ... and it may take time to refine the pricing and packages to garner the most interest.

Another idea you threw out there, the full free pirate server. You can login to the training server and get full access to equipment. This is kind of what it is for. However, as a new player you will likely struggle with having to post a mission and find the training grounds area at all. I think CRS could do a lot to fix this up ... and make it appeal to people who want to test stuff out. I would guess most new players have no idea about this.

I would recommend they change the name of the server ... to something like demo server or something. I would get rid of all the flags in every other town, and focus the darn map where it belongs ... on the fort rommel and patton areas. Also create some system (permanent ) missions at the airfields and army bases. So people dont have to fudge around with the overly complicated mission creation system. 

I would also explain to new players that a) this sever exists and b ) what the purpose of it is. Test equipment ... kill stuff .... not objective based, capturing disabled.

It would indeed make sense to simplify the use of training server. The new UI is coming along and I expect much of it too

30 soldiers its ok for a mmo  :) (is not "significantly", its just 12 more players).

And let only rifle for free players will make them see the potential of this game. Sure. Thats what they were asking for. 

Im just saying my opinion. People will not pay if you only let them use the rifle to probe the game (the real game, not a test server with little battles). If they didnt paid before, why would they do it now? They can buy Arma II for 10€

Chek the games with more income in the market (League of Legends, Fortnite, HeartStone, Dungeon fighter, World of Tanks, Clash Roayle, Arena of Valor, Pokemon Go, Dota2, PUBG...) all of them use the F2P method (and all of them diferent, adapted to each diferent game). Maybe you need to stop listening the old fanbase and try to catch new players.

Edited by m4t4p4j4r4

1 hour ago, B2K said:

it's also higher than 30... again significantly

Post numbers please.  Significantly?  I’ll double it and say 60.  Still not an MMO.

Created account 4 hours ago

Posted 2 hours ago

Knows all to make WWII Online successful... :popcorn:

6 people like this

Nothing worse than an arrogant company that lies himself. Open your eyes, you need hundred, thounsad of players, and you doesnt have even 60.

With theese numbres you have to see you are doing something wrong (and no, it is not players fault, or market fault, or some kind of God fault) and have to do a radical change.

In 2 years this game will be empty, and the servers caput. Look the numbers. Maybe you need a producer in your team, cause the game is good, but the marketing decisions... its not something a programmer should do.

18 minutes ago, erasmo said:

...Said the arrogant newbie... :D

"

Posted 2 hours ago

"

Well, this is not a respectfull answer.

6 minutes ago, m4t4p4j4r4 said:

"

Posted 2 hours ago

"

Well, this is not a respectfull answer.

You have the skin too thin.

You should have seen how was the former team. :lol:

Been playing this game almost 10 years. Some people for 20 years. Coming here with none knowledge about the history of this product and throwing lectures here and there is quite gutsy from your part, don't you think? So don't expect claps.

I don't always agree with CRS decisions, but they are trying hard and have a plan. We didn't have any of that 2 years ago. Let them work.

Edited by erasmo
4 people like this

1 hour ago, m4t4p4j4r4 said:

Nothing worse than an arrogant company that lies himself. Open your eyes, you need hundred, thounsad of players, and you doesnt have even 60.

With theese numbres you have to see you are doing something wrong (and no, it is not players fault, or market fault, or some kind of God fault) and have to do a radical change.

In 2 years this game will be empty, and the servers caput. Look the numbers. Maybe you need a producer in your team, cause the game is good, but the marketing decisions... its not something a programmer should do.

You are correct that we need numbers to make the game better.   Thousands on each side would indeed make the game

Free accounts are not being deleted, the model around them is changing and being renamed, but anyone with a current subscription (or tries the game in the future) will be able to continue to play even if they never subscribe.  

We are in fact taking actions which should result in an increase in numbers.

1) For the first time in the games history - DLC is being offered for purchase.  

2) For the first time in the games history - A player can subscribe/unsubscribe/resubscribe using the same account (vs having to make a separate free account)

We will continue to change things with the goal of bettering the overall player experience.   Undoubtedly, some changes will be good while a few may not turn out as intended.  From each we will observe the impact of the decision and adjust accordingly.  

Also, I'd like to encourage you to give the game a spin, make a sortie or two to try it out and see what it's like.  Help to increase the numbers that so keenly observe we need to make the overall experience better. 

5 people like this

11 hours ago, m4t4p4j4r4 said:

Sad but true, we are losing more players every year but CRS don't seem to care... 

The game has been up for almost 20 years, so don't expect it will not be on for the next two...

To "catch" a new player in WWIIOL is not as easy as any other game (Battlefield, CS, CoD). Because it is not like any other game. It is not point and shoot (thankfully). There is a learning curve, you have to stick a while, you have to go on voice comms (Discord, TS), you have to work hard.

Also, from the stats page, IMO, you can get a better picture of the number of players. If you choose any of the "top" stats, it requires over 50 sorties to show up. Most of the infantry stats show at least 500 players with at least 50 sorties, and they are not necessarily the same. So, we are talking of hundreds (even thousands) of players. But of course this a persistent MMO, you should not expect all of them to be online at the same time, especially in a tuesday night. If there was 60 online, I consider it a good crowd for a mid-week fight. We usually have hundreds on weekends.

Anyways, I think CRS is on the right path now, and I'm expecting better things for the future. We are all counting on it.

S!

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, m4t4p4j4r4 said:

And it is not a common kind of game (you cannot compare it with any other)...

Chek the games with more income in the market (League of Legends, Fortnite, HeartStone, Dungeon fighter, World of Tanks, Clash Roayle, Arena of Valor, Pokemon Go, Dota2, PUBG...) all of them use the F2P method 

Good luck in the future

thank  you.  recognizing  why 'you cannot compare it with any other' game is good advice for not comparing it to other games. 

1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, B2K said:

You are correct that we need numbers to make the game better.   Thousands on each side would indeed make the game

Free accounts are not being deleted, the model around them is changing and being renamed, but anyone with a current subscription (or tries the game in the future) will be able to continue to play even if they never subscribe.  

We are in fact taking actions which should result in an increase in numbers.

1) For the first time in the games history - DLC is being offered for purchase.  

2) For the first time in the games history - A player can subscribe/unsubscribe/resubscribe using the same account (vs having to make a separate free account)

We will continue to change things with the goal of bettering the overall player experience.   Undoubtedly, some changes will be good while a few may not turn out as intended.  From each we will observe the impact of the decision and adjust accordingly.  

Also, I'd like to encourage you to give the game a spin, make a sortie or two to try it out and see what it's like.  Help to increase the numbers that so keenly observe we need to make the overall experience better. 

Ofcourse im giving the game a spin. More than it, im in love :D I love how people roleplay and the chat arent full of crap (not like the rest of MMOs). I love the huge map. The course of the war.

But its sad to play a 8 vs 8 in a town made for a 60 vs 60 battle. And without the MP34 now i will not be able to take CPs (nothing to do agains a soldier with a Tommy or something like that), so my team will have one less soldier. My experience will be worst and i will have less desire to buy the game. And i love it, imagine someone who is just testing the game.

¿How will you make me pay? Thats what i want to see. I dont want to pay 11€ every month, cause i dont care about tanks or planes. I would only pay to pick the sniper. I want to give you my money, but only for what im going to use.

If i writte all this criticism its, precisely, cause i love the game.

PD: Btw, im seeing the fanbase of this game in this forum is so close minded. They are like adult rat kids or something like that. If you love the game, help them to improve. Dont make the ball, it doesnt help to go in the right direction.

-Everygame i have mentioned are different, and have different F2P systems. Check them before speak.

-WWIIO isnt so hardcore, this is not the point. ARMAIII has more than 10K players in this moment, and it is a real simulator, to much difficult to master.

Edited by m4t4p4j4r4

12 hours ago, choad said:

Quite indeed!

Addition: As with the new trainers program, it would be nice if trainers could quickly check the pop count on the training server. And if trainers could post system messages on the training server. Idea behind it: You see a lot of folks fooling around on the training server, hop over there and ask if they want/need some training or have some questions.

While I am being a trainer I think there is a barrier we have to breach to reach new players and connect them to the game. If you are new to the game, if you don't know much about the game, most people won't come on discord and talk and most people won't use the proper help channel to ask questions. It took me years to make proper use of all of it.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, m4t4p4j4r4 said:

And without the MP34 now i will not be able to take CPs (nothing to do agains a soldier with a Tommy or something like that), so my team will have one less soldier. My experience will be worst and i will have less desire to buy the game. And i love it, imagine someone who is just testing the game.

¿How will you make me pay? Thats what i want to see. I dont want to pay 11€ every month, cause i dont care about tanks or planes. I would only pay to pick the sniper. I want to give you my money, but only for what im going to use.

Well, the upcoming DLCs are perfect for you:

Purchase a one time buy DLC

• Recruit Pack: $7.99
    • Rifleman
    • Limited SMG
    • Trucks
    • Fairmile (River Boat)
    • 1 week trial access to all DLC packs

https://www.wwiionline.com/support-bulletins/accounts-billing/important-product-changes-inbound

54 minutes ago, m4t4p4j4r4 said:

PD: Btw, im seeing the fanbase of this game in this forum is so close minded. They are like adult rat kids or something like that. If you love the game, help them to improve. Dont make the ball, it doesnt help to go in the right direction.

Everygame i have mentioned are different, and have different F2P systems. Check them before speak.

We the fans are far from closed minded, you only have to look in the Game Ideas and Suggestions thread to see an influx of continous ideas being suggested by players, but not just that section of the forum, but the premium threads which i assume you cannot see which are broken down in their own sections, one for Air, Land and Sea, ideas are posted there all the time especially in the Hanger thread as we continue to discuss improved ideas on EWS/A.S.S, Weather which Hatch has very kindly fixed for us, dot commands for the RDP bomber pilots to keep tabs thanks to Sniper62 and team, the list goes on and on so it does show the CRS does in fact listen.  They might not put ideas into the game that you or I want or wish to see right away, but the team we have is relatively new, and the movement in the last 12 months have certainly been a huge improvement compared to what we have seen in the past with the old.

I understand you might be new here but i can guarantee pretty much everyone of us players have experience their own particular dark days in ww2online expressing their own frustrations, i would highly suggest you take a bit more time to explore the game, especially in higher peaked times, and browse a bit more around the forums as i feel you would be pleasantly surprised as we not all that different from you, we have the same passion and hope for the games future.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, XOOM said:

Posted 2 hours ago

New guy shows up and CRS attacks him. Marketing 101?

1 hour ago, lipton said:

New guy shows up and CRS attacks him. Marketing 101?

Reminds me of 2 old CRS members.

I bet Xoom just didn't eat yet usually he is not that couchy.

1 person likes this