• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
ZEBBEEE

Creating the Recon unit

15 posts in this topic

The starting point is that better reported enemies generates better teamwork and communication. Always.

What if a kind of unweaponed "Recon unit" could spot with his binoculars the tags of enemy ground players? (Players' nickname, not the weapons' type IMO. You could ask a recon unit to look for the player that killed you for example, as his nickname is given in RAA)

He could report it approximatively on map, and guess the weapons type.

These tags would fade in after 5 seconds when locking view in its direction, and reset each time he looks else where or remove his binocs. Natural obstacles would still hinder the view like friendly tags (tags should stick low above the head though).

[edit-updating further thinking from bellow]

armored vehicles and Recon aircraft could receive a similar advantage. Simulating professional observators we can't reproduce because of display limits.

Exceptions could still be implemented, such as having sniper units not being unveiled to recon units. Or when we have cammo PPO it could also keep the unit hidden to recon units, making such new features even more meaningful.

I was initialy thinking of unveiling enemy units on map behind the Frontline, but this purpose could offer the opportunity for a new unit.

Before screaming, just think how many times or how long a unit remains unspotted. 

I think there is something here Zebbeee. It could give an expanded role to armoured recon units / recon teams. Observation aircraft perhaps. 

50 minutes ago, Zebbeee said:

The starting point is that better reported enemies generates better teamwork and communication. Always.

What if a kind of unweaponed "Recon unit" could spot with his binoculars the tags of enemy ground players? (Players' nickname, not the weapons' type IMO)

He could report it approximatively on map, and guess the weapons type.

These tags would fade in after 5 seconds when locking view in its direction, and reset each time he looks else where or remove his binocs. Natural obstacles would still hinder the view like friendly tags.

I was initialy thinking of unveiling enemy units on map behind the Frontline, but this purpose could offer the opportunity for a new unit.

Before screaming, just think how many times or how long a unit remains unspotted. 

When I started playing we flew planes to do recon.. A LOT.

There are few things more thrilling than overflying a large column of tanks and screaming out across side - 35 A13s  W River road of Huy on the N side of the River!!.. However back then the 110c could burn the A13 with its cannons. 

We also used the 232 for recon for attacks we thought where headed our way.  Did not play much allied back then but the Pan was used the same way.

Indeed, armored vehicles and Recon aircraft could receive a similar advantage. Simulating professional observators we can't reproduce because of display limits.

Exceptions could still be implemented, such as having sniper units not being unveiled to recon units. Or when we have cammo PPO it could also keep the unit hidden to recon unit, making such new DLCs... Errrr... *features* even more meaningful.

2 hours ago, nugitxx said:

For a recon unit to have any real meaning, we need also open front, lol.

No we dont. 

The problem is reconnaissance is carried out to see how the enemy has deployed his troops. Now, we already know which brigade is where and, because the map shows us, and we already can figure where the enemy is coming from because of fixed spawns and FBs. Recon to see how individual enemies are deployed is also kind of futile, because most people fight alone, instead of in squad, platoon, or company-sized units, and everyone spawns in and moves separately. 

Only way this would work well is if the fb's could be placed by Hc , or set up by multiple trucks " building " the fb and then have the spotters find it and mark it . Would also need some way of marking the fb for longer than a few minutes , basically as long as the fb is up .. 

We don't need an open front but I think we do need a front line , where the enemy can't set fms's behind the town because the defender is holding the line . 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, tr6al said:

Only way this would work well is if the fb's could be placed by Hc , or set up by multiple trucks " building " the fb and then have the spotters find it and mark it . Would also need some way of marking the fb for longer than a few minutes , basically as long as the fb is up .. 

We don't need an open front but I think we do need a front line , where the enemy can't set fms's behind the town because the defender is holding the line . 

This. I can't believe I never thought of a frontline mechanic. Steel Division 1944 is a great example of this, combat units move the frontline while support units (trucks/FMS) do not. Therefore you must take the ground BEFORE FMS can be set in the enemies rear.

Edited by raptor34

46 minutes ago, raptor34 said:

This. I can't believe I never thought of a frontline mechanic. Steel Division 1944 is a great example of this, combat units move the frontline while support units (trucks/FMS) do not. Therefore you must take the ground BEFORE FMS can be set in the enemies rear.

This was gophur's plan before the trigger was pulled. He announced it in one of the latest vision topics.

What's missing is some sort of requirement that spawning can only occur at locations that have a supply line.

Unfortunately the strat mesh code wasn't written with a supply line concept. So, the strat mesh doesn't know if bridges are up or down, etc., etc.

18 minutes ago, jwilly said:

What's missing is some sort of requirement that spawning can only occur at locations that have a supply line.

Unfortunately the strat mesh code wasn't written with a supply line concept. So, the strat mesh doesn't know if bridges are up or down, etc., etc.

But what we can do is put some capturable items (rural buildings) far out outside towns to simulate area control and prevent FMS deployment in these areas because of proximity restrictions.

Maybe neutral statut between town and enemy FB (defenders must set up on that ground), and colors of defenders between town and rear FBs.

But anyway I don't see how it's related to my recon unit :)

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, tr6al said:

We don't need an open front but I think we do need a front line ,

This! This is the best idea !

Towns would act as choke points - make players be able to move the front line - the front would not move if town is not captured - the towns would act as an AO.

The 'lone wolves' would be moving the front line, and there would be a need of 'big battle' for a town.

Tr6al make a new thread with your idea, the is the solution.

Edited by xxnugit

This isn't a new idea , I just think it's a good way to make game more realistic.

I am sure CRS has thought up many ideas but implementation /programming behind the scenes would be restrictive.

is this same idea..

This would actually make recon units viable as they would have some idea where to be placed to see enemy troops approaching instead of them coming in from any direction.

Edited by tr6al

1 hour ago, tr6al said:

I just think it's a good way to make game more realistic.

Yes and I think the open front players would like it also, as to my understanding the 'no mans land' in the front line, would act as 'open world' where players to push forward would be setting their FB's.

Edited by nugx