Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lemkeh

Dog handler

20 posts in this topic

Because we touched this possible feature in one another theme, i tought to make about it a separate topic. Of course it doesn't seems to be in first priority, and even not in second or third. But, nevertheless,  every possibility to gain more customers, is a small win, imho. At least in the feasible future..
Logically, if whole acivity of this unit would be in dependance on a lone poor soul, who get lost in enemy's city, then it would be too resource-intensive for developing of game, without gaining much in return. But if these units might be implemented in EWS system, then whole picture might be more colorfull.
Also.
In earlier years  we talked about operations behind enemy line. Also about fully featured option of "pilot escape from enemy territory".  But is understandable, that those activities and adventures could be senseless and tasteless without active counter measures from the enemy. And with such "hunting" the adventures might be delicious not only for these pilots (which is understandable), but also for  hunters itself.

Now about possible design of this fighting unit (a dog handler). I guess it might be a soldier in at least sergeant rank. Maybe with a little better stamina than average soldier. He spawn with a dog which is at him on a leash. He always hold dog on leash by one hand, and other hand is free, which he can use for handgun, knife or grenade. In "normal" position the dog run near the owner, and maybe a little behind, if they move in tight area.
If dog "feels/heard" an enemy scent/presence, it bark once and wait owner reaction. There is different evidences, from what distance a dog can feel the stranger. But because our game world is currently 1:2 scale, we might have something 200 meters (in good weather conditions) and cut it to half, if there rained. Also dog "can feel" the enemy, if they cross it's trace. The trace might exist some time, but disappears with the beginning of a rain. The good reason for pilots to fall in love with a rain...(PS. but exists the rain in game, or not, i haven't played some time?). Of course, there are also rivers where to lose trace, etc.

The dog handler then will give order "go!" (or something similar) and dog will go on a trace of the enemy etc. In my vision, the dog does not attack the enemy, but begins to bark when the enemy is very close.

About death of unit. There is at least two variants.. 1) if a dog handler get killed, it's dog will run away in a closest backstreet and despawn. Or  2) dog die with it's owner, despite the fact, the bullet has hit her or not.
First variant seems to be more difficult to do.

OK, this is a humbling suggestion, with rough details.

HbHBrEH.jpg

In the early days, old-CRS said that they had been advised not to model an ability to kill either dogs or horses, because doing so might attract the attention of animal rights / animal cruelty organizations and their negative attention to the game could be problematic in some countries.

16 minutes ago, jwilly said:

because doing so might attract the attention of animal rights / animal cruelty organizations and their negative attention to the game could be problematic in some countries.

If I recall it was mostly countries where killing human beings is not an issue.

1 person likes this

I personally would prefer starting with horse-carriages to replace most of Opel's in tier 0 :)

German-Horse-05.jpg

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Silky said:

We could model the dogs on Bean

Bean > Wojtek

+10 /  Visit OT to find out more...

Image may contain: grass, plant, dog, outdoor and nature

50 minutes ago, Zebbeee said:

I personally would prefer starting with horse-carriages to replace most of Opel's in tier 0 :)

well it would be more historically accurate.

The German army was not motorized in 1940- most units used horse-drawn wagons.  Only a few units had enough trucks to be considered motorized.  It would remain this way throughout the war.

About killing the dog. I don't see reasons for that, of game related (in real war, of course, there can be a reason for everything).
Firstly, the figure of the dog handler is bigger than at a dog. When you shoot a dog, your opportunity to miss the target is much more, than if you shoot the handler. Also, in the game we can't pick up friendlie's or enemy's weapons, that's mean, nobody can't pick up the dog too (in real life this could be even more problematic, at least it take much time to gain a Dog's trust). Therefore if you eliminate the handler, nobody can follow you by using this dog. Though if you have already shot, then you have attracted attention all enemies who are close. And now they might don't need a dog to find you.

Secondly, as i said previosly, imho, we don't need an attacking dog. This isn't survival sim. Also this isn't a Police dog or even a Border Guard dog. Physical attacking an enemy isn't it's purpose. Finding, yes. (Of course, a dog in the real life is more unpredictable and can try anything after death of it's handler, but mimic of it behavior would be a task for the quantum computer).  
Even the handler itself isn't a killer machine. Relatively poorly armed, he heads group of searchers. The main fighters would be regular soldiers with submachine guns. Would be good if instead of simplificated missions, we will have oportunity to make also specialized missions. Relate to "dog handler" theme, this will allow to make specialized struktures for these missions. Such as a lead officer, who give orders, a dog handler (or two) to find trace of enemy, and in dependence by current environment (city or rural area) submachine gunners and machinegunner or sniper, maybe also an engineer.
Or missions to find "documents" from enemy crashed bomber? etc. etc.
And these missions might be not all about finding enemy. There might be also "find and rescue" missions about finding friendly pilot, who crashed on own territory, but now lie somewhere in coma (i mean, some player crashed, but stay alive, but hardly wounded and become "a server tracked body").

Thirdly, we have in the game a feature "friendly fire OFF". I'm not a fan of this, but this is a decision maked by devs. You can blindly spray from machinegun into a room, which are fullfilled by enemies and friendlies and who will stay alive?Then it wouldn't be very strange decision, if a dog stay invulnerable for shooting and so on from anyone.

And yet something. If to make of dog's escape is too difficult, then might be also  variant, when the dog sit or is lying down, next to the corpse of handler. Until they both disappear.

I’m a very hard pass on dogs. I know it’s a game but I don’t feel mowing down waves of mindless AI dogs will add to the immersion. 

Why waves? There will not be a point to spawn as the dog handler without any purpose. Even if there is a purpose, you should know, that such combat unit as a handler, is relatively weak, slightly armed, to have a little better stamina. You certainly need a support group of more armed soldiers.

Also, this dog don't means to be as autonomous AI dog like from Arma2 or Arma3. Dog will be always tied to handler by leash, until the handler die. Take it as a "weapon", like a mortar, but which you can't "hide", as you currently can to "hide" the Mortar. Or better analogy, as a "tool", like the mine detector, though we haven't them in the game yet.

Of course, when to game will come players, which main interest will be to play as a handler, then there might be growing demands to made "more advanced dogs", but that will be in very bright future..

As i described, this feature will be good to have in the game, IF developers think about additional gameplay like sabotage and activity behind enemy lines. To current gameplay it surely don't add almost nothing. You can't use it to attack city or to defend city (if devs don't implement something such to EWS system).

That's why this is more in the category "what if".

19 hours ago, lemkeh said:

I think, in terms of stamina, the weakest link would be the dog's handler. 

So the dog has to feed the handler for stamina? Did dogs do that in real life?

19 hours ago, lemkeh said:

"more advanced dogs"

Such as this infantry recon company second-in-command:

ShepherdridinginSdKfz251.png

It seems too advanced. Might be even a HC. In the future.

I guess, that IF here will be a service dog, then with minimal interactivity, relatively low-poly dog. Maybe something like it

xXVGVbM.gif

Main point of all of this is, that developers don't need to do instances in the game or special events. Only to use already happened incidents in live game, for the second time. Like - a bomber crashed, system offer a mission to find its wreck and something yet. Or a wounded pilot landed and system will offer a mission to find him.

I must admit, i don't know, how most pilots will react to idea about escaping from dogs, to crawling in bushes, dirt and swamp etc. They pay to fly and might will not interested to be a wanderer on his feet, even an short time.
But even then, system can use these incidents, to offer a mission of  escaping for others, who are interested in it. An example, a pilot landed and if he isn't interested to escape, he log out, and will gain status of delayed "missing in action". Now, if in the certain time nobody will take this mission, "MIA" will activated. But if someone take this mission, delayed status stay until he is escaped (or die).

OT. Do i believe, that this and my another suggestions will come to live? Really, almost no. I write, because i try to practice my bad English. :/
But i see how many themes about suggested features are even in new forum, and if we recall old forum...How many there suggested features were implemented into game? I'm curious, how important is forum of suggestions anymore, because i see here very few feedback.
When devs talks about negativity, I see much bigger problem in losing of hope. That's it.

Recently i tried to recall, when game was updated to 1.35 version. And I could not. I needed to revise old emails from CRS. Seems, this was in May 2016, more older emails was deleted. Someone will say that the numbers have no influence. I think they have. OK, this will be too long theme, but in short, even such insignificant events, as new version, give at least a small reason to upping topic about game in another forums, if topic are in sleep mode.

Edited by lemkeh
misspelled

I'd say NO I have seen what the Allies have done to the sheep in this game .

What's next complementary peanut butter in the rations bag ? 

13 hours ago, viper69 said:

I want to put a sachel charge on my dog and send him under tanks.

Not till the Russian front is in game . That's what the ruskies trained their dogs to do.

7 hours ago, dre21 said:

Not till the Russian front is in game . That's what the ruskies trained their dogs to do.

Hahahaha yeah effing right. You actually think the Russian front will be added? The OP wants some magical dog unit that sniffs our enemy infantry. I want my German Shepard to crawl under a Matilda and blow it up.

Edited by viper69

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0