Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icewarp414

What we effectively get with the 64-bit client?

4 posts in this topic

What are the instant benefits by having a 64-bit client?

* What can be done out of the box with more memory?

* Will it have multi-core support? Can we have the whole chat system allocated to one of the cores to free resources from main CPUsed by the game?

What else can we get on mid and long term developments?

I think that there is no instant benefits only with the 64bits migration.

Due to my english limitations, i cant explain well, but simplifying, they have to modify the code to use the x64 arquitecture benefits, not only a migration.

But in the near future I understand that they could improve the code to benefit from the advantages of 64 bits, but instant benefits i think is zero.

I could be wrong, of course.

Mainly 32 bit OS support is getting dropped so the game has to go that way soon.

Secondly 64bit allows the natural progression of multi processors as well as more usable memory .

Game will speed up ,as dedicated processor gets used for game and OS will have it's own.

Any new software used for upgrades etc will need to be 64bit so more availability for modernizing the terrain and overall game mechanics etc

It's a win/win .

As mentioned before, the immediate upgrade from 32bit to 64bit isn't going to unlock all sorts of cool and magical things. Doing this will allow us the ability, in the future, to do all those things but those things in of themselves are not small tasks and will require a lot of rewriting of code. So, for now, just get things upgraded so that they work when 32bit goes away and then in the future, enable magical powers.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0