mingus

AFTER MY 2 YEARS MY GUNS ACTUALLY WORK AGAIN, HERE'S WHY

12 posts in this topic

I have been a cranky lad for the past couple years as no matter how well I out fly guys ( Im an air player) I am not getting the registered hits ( and therefore kills) I should have been getting. I thought it was the game and was frustrated with CRS.  Eventually unsubbed last week and went f2p, (yuck, I know) But I made a discovery yesterday...

I moved 2 years ago, but had the same wifi equipment, a fancy and expensive ASUS wifi card that was great in the old place, and at least seemed to do great at the new house, but with this game only, I was always having the problem of my guns not working right 75% of the time.  Turns out the new house is old, like 150 years old and doesnt have the same type of construction as a modern house and my wifi signal was getting robbed just enough to where it seemed fine but it wasn't.    Finally i had enough and went nutty trying to figure out the issue, after having CRS check my account and all sortsa crazy stuff, I ditched the wifi card, as nice as it was and moved my rig across the house to be hardwired into the modem with a cat 7 cable.  BINGO. HOLY F, glaring huge night and day difference instantly. I am hard headed for not thinking of this sooner of course, but that being said, Now I am getting all my rounds registered and having much better performance in game,, sigh of relief.  Even on the ground, which I hardly ever play because its always like shoot a guy 5 times he doesnt die and I'm frustrated again. Well now ground game is fun and works perfectly.   So, this might not help most of you, but If any of you live in an older house or have unique building materials when you have your rig it is something I hope can help at least someone.   The game is brand new to me again after years of being angry all the time. Resubbed and ready to rock again.   Thank Goodness.    Moral of the story, It ain't always the Rats fault no matter how hard you think it might be.

4 people like this

Most issues are caused by network problems that are also greatly increased if you play from outside the States. The difference between playing cable and playing on Wi-Fi can be abysmal.

Thanks for the update Mingus! I'm glad you finally figured out what the cause of the issue was. Our game is 100% dependent on network traffic and thus should probably never be played on Wifi. Even if you're sitting a few feet from the Wifi router, you still have the ability to be dropping packets over time.

It would be nice if we had some sort of tool that allowed players to "test" or "confirm" their connections are working at a level that's acceptable.

1 person likes this

for those insisting that wireless is good enough to play games with try the following test, if you can.

download an app called synergy, setup two computers to share the mouse/keyboard over the network. on the client computer (the one without the directly connected key/mouse) start using the computer. move the mouse around, click stuff, type, etc. Do this for 5-10m to get a feel for it.

Now, use a physical cable for the client instead of wireless. you'll notice a significant difference in the feel of the mouse cursor's movement especially.

If you play action oriented games over wifi the above test highlights the additional latency you're choosing to play with. run cables or use one of the many really great wifi combos out there that allow wired back haul between the base stations. these will help keep the cable runs short.

friends dont let friends game on wireless

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, madrebel said:

friends dont let friends game on wireless

or satellite...LOL

1 person likes this

Integrity appreciated @mingus, sounds like we need a lot of other folks to do the same and upgrade their stuff.

f**k it im gonna play from McDonalds free wifi and then [censored] about how my game is laggy....

4 hours ago, Ltarflak said:

f**k it im gonna play from McDonalds free wifi and then [censored] about how my game is laggy....

At least you can fill up on McDoubles with bacon while doing it?

@mingus
By the way, not sure how hard to do in your house
by one solution to getting better wifi coverage, specially in an older home that has solid walls (not gypsum board) and such
is to use a switch that has some powered ethernet jacks, and then some wifi access points which of course get power to run
from the powered ethernet lines coming from the switch, and break the house up into zones.

I'd still go hardwired for game PC as you nearly need an EMP burst, or wind your ethernet cable around a flourescent light
to induce interference into it.

Edited by Merlin51
1 person likes this

Only peasants use Wifi in online games B) the best wifi will always have some added lag that the cable won't !

so what mingus is saying is we all need to move into his house and online gaming will never be a good thing.

keep in mind, your cable company is right now switching entire  neighborhoods to wifi and you only think you are directly connected through a cable.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, Sudden said:

keep in mind, your cable company is right now switching entire  neighborhoods to wifi and you only think you are directly connected through a cable.

got any links supporting this? it wouldn't make sense given the litany of issues rolling out metro WiFi brings with it.