Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dre21

Introduce the INF Scout class

5 posts in this topic

As helpful as it is in game I always have found it silly that everybody can just mark stuff and it's only limited by the mission you are on .

It takes the Fog of War away and pretty much the whole aspect of Ambush . After all the dead could not speak but in game one player sets up a great ambush and after the 1st kill it's pretty much over cause he just got reported via a map icon. 

Sure the Voice coms and even the text chat in game still give us the option of reporting but there is a difference to just saying there is something north east,  and open map and I saw the last tracer with my commander from exactly that spot and there goes the mark on the map. Be all honest most of us been playing this game long enough that most of our marks are within a few inches if not even dead on if we see the slightest movement or that last tracer.

So now introduce the Scout class , only that player has the ability to mark and report on the Map , be it EFMS ,tanks ,trucks other INF . We can go as far as regardless of mission or in town brigade every friendly can see it , to only the once that are on the same mission or Brigade can see the marks.

His load out should / could  4 smoke , a Pistol with 5 clips and a Rifle with 3 clips.

Light load out so his stamina or sprint actually lasts longer over the regular soldier. Also he be the only other soldier that can build the Foxhole PPO . 

His primary role obviously be the scout and lift the Fog of War for his side by reporting everything he does see so his forces and react to the situations. 

Maybe 10 Scouts per INF brigade and 5 per Armor Brigade. You loose all the Scouts then it be like the old days before the Map marks made it into the game.

It might not only revitalize the Tank / ATG game cause you can set up Ambushes again but it also keep the FMS that are being set from being reported right away and camped to death. 

I think it would definitely be a plus for all aspects of the game be it Tanks , Planes ,Infantry.

Please discuss.  If you think bad idea please say so and elaborate on it . If you like it bump it up say something about it so maybe CRS will take a look at it.

Maybe even get an intermission where they turn off Map icons just to see how it goes .

FWIW, in Post Scriptum, only the squad leader can mark stuff...

....and it completely, utterly sucks. IMO.

I don't know if that contributes to the drop-off in players PS is experiencing, but not being able to mark stuff is insanely frustrating in that game.

In a game like this (or PS for that matter), players need some way to be organically funneled toward action on the (vast and potentially boring) battle field; in our game, marks do that VERY well. If you don't want to be marked, try not to be seen.

Edited by xanthus

2 hours ago, dre21 said:

As helpful as it is in game I always have found it silly that everybody can just mark stuff and it's only limited by the mission you are on .

It takes the Fog of War away and pretty much the whole aspect of Ambush . After all the dead could not speak but in game one player sets up a great ambush and after the 1st kill it's pretty much over cause he just got reported via a map icon. 

Sure the Voice coms and even the text chat in game still give us the option of reporting but there is a difference to just saying there is something north east,  and open map and I saw the last tracer with my commander from exactly that spot and there goes the mark on the map. Be all honest most of us been playing this game long enough that most of our marks are within a few inches if not even dead on if we see the slightest movement or that last tracer.

So now introduce the Scout class , only that player has the ability to mark and report on the Map , be it EFMS ,tanks ,trucks other INF . We can go as far as regardless of mission or in town brigade every friendly can see it , to only the once that are on the same mission or Brigade can see the marks.

His load out should / could  4 smoke , a Pistol with 5 clips and a Rifle with 3 clips.

Light load out so his stamina or sprint actually lasts longer over the regular soldier. Also he be the only other soldier that can build the Foxhole PPO . 

His primary role obviously be the scout and lift the Fog of War for his side by reporting everything he does see so his forces and react to the situations. 

Maybe 10 Scouts per INF brigade and 5 per Armor Brigade. You loose all the Scouts then it be like the old days before the Map marks made it into the game.

It might not only revitalize the Tank / ATG game cause you can set up Ambushes again but it also keep the FMS that are being set from being reported right away and camped to death. 

I think it would definitely be a plus for all aspects of the game be it Tanks , Planes ,Infantry.

Please discuss.  If you think bad idea please say so and elaborate on it . If you like it bump it up say something about it so maybe CRS will take a look at it.

Maybe even get an intermission where they turn off Map icons just to see how it goes .

Could be an interesting thing with some link in's. Perhaps like:

Scout get's point for accurate marking (game knows where ei is...scout marks within 50 meters...scout gains points)

Scout gets coloured smoke to throw and indicate particular type of enemy is present

Scout has alterable camo cover, could choose some colour variation, fn buttons....hide better.

Perhaps have a scout message channel..people could "tune" too....

Just some ideas in my 5 minutes of break time.

Likely not sensible or doable or desirable :D

S! 

15 hours ago, xanthus said:

FWIW, in Post Scriptum, only the squad leader can mark stuff...

....and it completely, utterly sucks. IMO.

I don't know if that contributes to the drop-off in players PS is experiencing, but not being able to mark stuff is insanely frustrating in that game.

In a game like this (or PS for that matter), players need some way to be organically funneled toward action on the (vast and potentially boring) battle field; in our game, marks do that VERY well. If you don't want to be marked, try not to be seen.

Just concentrating on your last sentence, might as well not log in then.

Even if you get killed next respawn you can make a mark at about the location you just got killed and with that everyone around you knows . 

So this not to be seen statement is a pretty mute point in my opinion. 

The only time someone is not seen is if the other party is to lazy or just does not mark.

I will place my variant here too. In some points maybe more hardcore, in something more compromise variant.

At first i guess, the Scout need to have at least sergeant rank. That's not unusual.
What about different branches, then paratroopers will need also the scout subcategory. Also i think, that the Navy might need scouts too.

In my vision his loadout (if he acts alone) might look so - a dagger (a little more lethal than a knife and maybe with possibility to kill AI too, though this need other AI). Pistol and its ammo. Some different grenades. Submachine gun and ammo. Yes, a submachine gun as their main weapon. They don't need to fight at long distances. Even more, they need to hide and try to avoid to be noticed. Also the rifle, as a more bulky weapon, will detain the scout, when he overcome obstacles and crawling. 
And as self-defence weapon in an emergency, SMG is superior. And this will be not against history too.

But, if he is not alone, and there will be a group of scouts (even a mission with some target), then will be good to have possibility for different loadouts (maybe one carbine or a sniper rifle per 4-5 men, explosives, time bomb, a small inflatable boat, suitable for carrying by one person, a wire cutter, a mine detector, light vehicles etc etc.)
Of course, then is needed also a lobby, to form such missions.

About marking. I'am for features, which bring into game a hardcore and simulation. Although communication in the game is one of them thing, that are very hardly controllable and simulate so, what would be interesting to play for many. 
Therefore i will suggest some sort of compromise for marking feature (it may be temporal, until people will adapting. And maybe later to remake this).

So. Many of us remember old times, when the marks was need approving by mission leader. If similar nightmare we don't want to repeat, then we need to avoid situation, when other soldiers can demand from the scout to mark something (what he actually don't see). How?

Then we need to recall, that in WWII soldiers already used field cameras (to take photos and selfies etc.). And even some pre-war cameras had the rangefinders.
Now, if we compile these facts, we can to make so, that to place an accurate mark on something, the scout need take a photo of this object from a certain distance.
When he take a shoot, there might be atleast two options - to place a mark, or save the picture but not to place a mark (as a placeholder for advanced gameplay in the future).
Now, who will see those placed marks? I suppose, they will be visible for all, who have same target or object to defend (there is needed one clarification, these targets might be in same area, not exactly same CP etc). 
But i suggest to make these marks visible for pilots in another form. 

One example. The map will consist a grid, every side of square will be 100 metres. If the scout place a mark, then sides of square, where is this mark placed, will be colored to red on the pilot map. Something so..

PvWVN6J.jpg

That means an approximate place.

Someone will ask, but how to place then mark about moving objects, like  soldier, truck, tank (making a photo will be annoying, object will move to far etc). Then i say so. Firstly, these objects isn't main business of the Scouts. But even then, they will also have option to make "approximate mark". And possibility to do same thing, will stay also with other infantry players. At least for some time. That mean just this "grid of 100x100m squares" conception, when an object is marked approximately. Depending by what exactly is marked, in this square will be seen an abbreviation, and when needed, more of them. But unlike from marking by Scouts, pure infantry's markings will not be visible by pilots, and will lasts shorter time. 
Of course, if the game does not want to go along the arcade path. IMHO.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0