• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
    • CHIMM

18th Anniversary Event Awards!   06/23/2019

This year we are giving out trophies and awards for the top players during the "Kill a RAT" event! We need the following players to contact @CHIMM at chimm@corneredrats.com with your physical address to mail these out.   @mook2  @dasei88  @c00per  @kardehk  @chau90  @kdped02  @Simcha  @pulfer  @bus0    
rotsechs

DLC access

15 posts in this topic

Shouldn't this be locked to allow the DLC only players to use ? I have full access to everything so I take it that any premium sub can use up that supply. Doesn't leave the DLC people much option if it's all used up.

Everyone has access to everything right now--- for the first 14 days of camp.   DLC players have access to the full premium account spawn list.

The DLC stuff will be locked out for only DLC players soon.   Same goes for Limited supply smg.

Some observations i have made:

1. September has seen in increase of steam players of 80%, but it has to be said it was very low before. It looks like this stuff really works.

2. There is probably a big chance that the low percentage of players, who really play for years on DLCs and thus are CRS losing money long term, are actually offset by a large number, who don't play that often or lose interest over time. This could be also offset by having ever more DLCs, which doesn't need to be new units. Needs more discussion, if feasable at all. But i do think especially noobs would like more stuff to do, like cooler PPOs or supply driving.

3.  DLCs should be accessible through the website, i kind of want access to that NCO DLC with my website account. If all are doing it, it probably goes down in supply quicker, this could be offset by increasing that supply.

4. DLCs are a cool way to support the game imo. I would like to buy more and support the game this way. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, ebert100 said:

DLCs should be accessible through the website, i kind of want access to that NCO DLC with my website account

This is the goal. The Steam platform is designed for micro transactions with minimal code, where organically it's extremely laborious. We will be offering the DLC's organically.

1 person likes this

It is so rediculus, there is a difference between steam- and organicplayers. DLC is meant to create income. How bad must the situation be, to not be able to offer the same to all?

1 hour ago, alisg1 said:

It is so rediculus, there is a difference between steam- and organicplayers. DLC is meant to create income. How bad must the situation be, to not be able to offer the same to all?

Come join the team to help get all the coding into place.  

2 people like this

The easier it is for the end user the harder it is for the programmer... at least that the way it works in healthcare IT. I just erased a lot of venting...

On 10/28/2018 at 10:14 AM, alisg1 said:

As noted above, Steam was designed as a platform to allow this kind of thing.
The web or organic system never was, when it was originally created in 2001 it only had one kind of subscription even.
It takes some time to rip that system apart and redesign it because it has to properly tie into billing and subscription and the player database.
Can't have it screw up and make mistakes because it would be the player/subscriber that ultimately suffers for it.

Steam had the fortune of being designed that way from the inception, because it was specifically a sales platform, which sold game merchandise of many types.
The game on the other hand, was simply a game, which got a billing/subscription system put into it designed just to suit the games needs at the time it was created.
Back in 2001, DLC's were not really a thing too much that i recall.

5 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

As noted above, Steam was designed as a platform to allow this kind of thing.
The web or organic system never was, when it was originally created in 2001 it only had one kind of subscription even.
It takes some time to rip that system apart and redesign it because it has to properly tie into billing and subscription and the player database.
Can't have it screw up and make mistakes because it would be the player/subscriber that ultimately suffers for it.

Steam had the fortune of being designed that way from the inception, because it was specifically a sales platform, which sold game merchandise of many types.
The game on the other hand, was simply a game, which got a billing/subscription system put into it designed just to suit the games needs at the time it was created.
Back in 2001, DLC's were not really a thing too much that i recall.

lol 2001.......i was 18 years old..... I played Wolfenstein, Counter strike, European Air War.... Half Life with mods.......... the millennials do not find out that back in 2001 there were no DLCS or sales platforms, and almost nobody bought anything online ...... OMG my connection was still by MoDem

It wasn't too long after that Steam came along. I've had my Steam account since April 2004 and yeah...downloading a game back then at 33.6K took couple of days. I want to think that Valve was offering compensation if you sent back your physical copy of some of those Half Life 1 add-ons like Blue Shift and Opposing Force. I was suspicious and never took them up on that offer. I wanted those CDs in my cold dead hands before they ever got them back. I still have them. When I got a US Robotics 56K external business modem I thought I was on the cutting edge. I later gave that modem to our hospital to upload/download Kronos time card swipes at one of our nursing homes in 2006.  

I am revisiting Stalker - Call of Pripyat right now and wow its such a great game. The Call of Chernobyl mod with maps from all three games on it. It's early on and I'm like a vulture swooping down after firefights to loot the dead but if the NPCs get there first they will also loot the dead. The graphics, imo, have held up reasonably well. 

15 hours ago, kase250 said:

lol 2001.......i was 18 years old..... I played Wolfenstein, Counter strike, European Air War.... Half Life with mods.......... the millennials do not find out that back in 2001 there were no DLCS or sales platforms, and almost nobody bought anything online ...... OMG my connection was still by MoDem

LOL i had ADSL
I was beta testing ZoomTown, it was 768k, but at the time it made my US Robotics Courier V-everything modem look like crap
but it would go down, a lot, and i'd have to switch over to my modem.
Had to have browser download managers back then so you could resume a download that died from disconnection.

Buying a game online usually consisted of going to Elbo or Babbages and standing in line at the checkout counter.
Games came in big boxes, with full colour manuals, and what ever came in the box, that was it, no DLC, though in some games the devs might
release some new levels or something with a later patch, but they were free.

Used to be stuff like Kali and Qspy which later became Gamespy and then finally shut down, thats where you went to look to
play something online, and prayed you found a server that pinged under 250ms, or you could direct dial your buddy across town

7 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

Used to be stuff like Kali and Qspy which later became Gamespy and then finally shut down, thats where you went to look to
play something online, and prayed you found a server that pinged under 250ms, or you could direct dial your buddy across town

Oh yes!!! I remember Kali and playing Duke Nukem with it, and Qspy of course!! Wow.... I remember that you had to get the engineering grade to operate Kali in DOS and the IPX protocol....LoL.

Good times..... By the way... i hijacked this thread.....

17 hours ago, kase250 said:

I remember that you had to get the engineering grade to operate Kali in DOS and the IPX protocol....LoL.

In 1994 i started a gaming dialup BBS called Cincinnati Multiplayer BBS with some other people.
It did well for a few years, meaning it at least paid for it's own existence, internet and knowing how to use it was not wide spread back then.
Most of the actual money came from hardware sales.

We were able to bring it up to a dual channel ISDN line and a 24 port digiboard before widespread internet use finally put it to bed.
Quake was the last game service we added.
We started with just MBBS Doors games like LORD and TW2002.

believe it or not, somewhere in some boxes, i still have the functional MBBS server, at least it was functional when it was packed up

for giggles and grins
https://web.archive.org/web/19970401193758/http://cinmpc.com:80/

Times have changed much