• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
snappled

64 days to Christmas (in three days)

8 posts in this topic

I searched for a thread on 64 bit dev but nothing returned ...

The little meter that displays progress on various development tasks, and in particular "64 Bit Development" on the WWiiOL landing page, seems to have frozen several months ago. Is that a bug with that meter, or is nothing happening there? A lot of us have been expecting that game upgrade will solve a lot of long-standing game issues . So, the introduction of a 64 Bit game version is very much awaited by a lot of us.

How about it?

Soon? (rolls eyes .... )

<S>

2 hours ago, snappled said:

I searched for a thread on 64 bit dev but nothing returned ...

The little meter that displays progress on various development tasks, and in particular "64 Bit Development" on the WWiiOL landing page, seems to have frozen several months ago. Is that a bug with that meter, or is nothing happening there? A lot of us have been expecting that game upgrade will solve a lot of long-standing game issues . So, the introduction of a 64 Bit game version is very much awaited by a lot of us.

How about it?

Soon? (rolls eyes .... )

<S>

I refer you to comments here

64 bit is being worked on but it won't be like flipping a light switch, additional coding will need to be done to optimize and take advantage of this. The intial work is to support it so once 32bit dies everyone may continue to play.

Okay, well, I wasn't expecting cool and magical ..... but is stable and lag-less too much to ask for? It seems to me there are still a lot of problems in the game that are related to communication lag, and that is something that the greater bandwidth between server CPU and server memory, and client CPU and memory operations, should reduce. Usually players experience this most severely in CQC infantry roles. But I've noticed something else recently .... while tanking, the audio of the shrapnel arrives prior to the round, still visible flying inbound. That disconnect, between the visible and the audible is lag in the communications, something skype users will recognise.

64 bit hardware/software fixed that up for me .... and I have been enjoying lagless skype (finally) for a couple of years now.

<S>

There is a good reason new computers and their OS are 64 bit, and there is a good reason new software is being written with a 64 bit architecture.

---

From "DigitalTrends"

A 64-bit processor is capable of storing more computational values, including memory addresses, which means it’s able to access over four billion times the physical memory of a 32-bit processor. That’s just as big as it sounds. 64-bit processors are to 32-bit processors what the automobile is to the horse-drawn buggy.

Applications and video games with high performance demands take advantage of the increase in available memory, with companies releasing 64-bit versions of programs. This is especially useful in programs that store a lot of information for immediate access.

---

I believe there will be a significant gain in game performance with the shift to a 64 bit game. I fail totally to comprehend why anyone wouldn't believe this will benefit this game in particular. There are other reasons to shift to 64 bit far beyond the simplistic explanation that the game simply won't work anymore after the whole entire rest of the world moves to 64 bit. Why is the rest of the world shifting?  Everyone else is just a bunch of dummies?

<S>

There are a lot of reasons, many of which have nothing to do with how much RAM you can or can't address. SImply put, it costs more to support more than 1 'thing' be it 64bit or multiple different types of chassis in your fleet of vehicles. this is why many manufacturers of cars now run a single common chassis/engine/transmission that they then bolt on different bodies too. in many cases, a single model across multiple manufacturers shares the same underlying frame, engine, tranny, etc.

in tech, having only one code base to manage costs you a LOT less.

further, if done poorly, 64bit may slow you down. can you think of reasons why?