Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delems

Rank points really messed up.

28 posts in this topic

Rank points are really terrible right now.  Way to many points for items.

Killed rifle in CP and got 33 points?  Captures 50 points?

Simply ridiculous - need a serious and thorough audit of rank points given; nearly everything needs to be cut in half minimum (not air points).

Captures, 5 points; spawn from MS 1 point etc.

Also, need auto demotions, if you don't play a map your rank goes down by 1; until rank 2.

Edited by delems
3 people like this

There is also a major imbalance between points earned by Infantry vs points earned by Armor. I have always played almost exclusively Infantry. The last couple of Campaigns I have turned to the Dark Side and am learning to Tank. As a result my Rank progress has basically come to a stop. Part of it is my inexperience in Armor, but even on a Sortie where I had 11 Kills I ended up with single digit points because I was KIA. I understand the need to reward Infantry play but I agree with Delems, its way to many points for "things". Two Campaigns ago I had I think back to back Infantry Sorties where I scored  400+, and 300+ points. The common denominator is I was Fighting inside of CP's and every time EI would come in, the CP would "Flip". When I killed EI and CP reset I got points for Recap. The one I had 7 Kills and multiple Recaps. The other was basically the same. Not saying Armor should get the same kind of points but there is too much disparity. Delems post exposes where this disparity lies.

Edited by tkilroy
spelling mistake

Points for towing should be one of the big point getters , then Infantry vs Infantry , Tanks vs Armor more points then vs INF . And vice versa INF gets more points if they kill Armor .

Also should not get get as many points if a heavy tank kills a light tank , kina like tier related  same tier good points kill stuff lower tier less points. 

I'm not sure how the point system really works cause I'm maxed out and don't pay to much attention anymore. 

Maybe get points deduction when u blow up a building with friendlies in it. 

Also keep the points for MS, currently at 5 per person - maybe lower to 2 or 3 - this rewards those setting MS.

Like the point deduction for blowing up bldg with friendlies, something like -1000; or just an automatic demotion of one rank.

Edited by delems

There really needs to be rank degradation having it would give more value to rank and promote active play.

It doesn't need to be a big loss maybe earning 200 points would be enough to hold rank for a campaign or like you had to earn 100p each week, allowing to save extra points.

Edited by pbveteran

Just destroyed 6 AI, got 55 rank points?

Ludicrous, should have been 6 points :(

What a mess.

Edited by delems

Im with Delems on this one.

Too easy to gain points right now.

A couple of EI kills defending a CP and you get lot of points.

On the other hand it is very very very dificult to gain points in the Air branch........

1 person likes this

As long as the entire points system is irrelevant to most players, this doesn't really matter, does it? It allows newer players better access to the game.

A major push should be for a XP system that rewards and thereby encourages the type of behaviour and gameplay that benefits the game

1 person likes this

The point structure is if you are smaller than the target you will get greater points. IE: as an inf and you kill a plane, you get lots of points. If you are a DD and kill and inf, next to no points.

Have reached my max rank and have been at this rank for soooo long, points have no meaning. This needs to change. You should have to keep getting something. Little bits of benefits, uniform choices, better rifles, better somethings... Not game changer stuff, just little niceties.

Edited by imded
1 person likes this

Originally, the basis for much of the points structure was based on a kind of "easy kills = low points difficult kills = more points" kind of deal, but this is a gross generalization. A tank for example killing a bunch of infantry didn't get you many points but infantry killing a tank was much more lucrative. The gist of that approach is pretty obvious. Thus killing an aircraft with a rifle (example) is much more rewarding (and difficult) than an aircraft dropping a bomb on said infantry and killing them,

However, lots of stuff has happened since then. Lots of changes. New paradigms and activities and new rewards. So what I'm saying is just how things started, I have no idea where they are at now, and decline to make any judgement or criticism as a result.

On 21/10/2018 at 3:28 PM, delems said:

Rank points are really terrible right now.  Way to many points for items.

Killed rifle in CP and got 33 points?  Captures 50 points?

Simply ridiculous - need a serious and thorough audit of rank points given; nearly everything needs to be cut in half minimum (not air points).

Captures, 5 points; spawn from MS 1 point etc.

Also, need auto demotions, if you don't play a map your rank goes down by 1; until rank 2.

Agreed.

The points have really not been changed much. The stuff that was changed was to try and encourage more participation in those areas.  Like defending  CP's was changed to help with defences of towns.   Getting  the new players to do this was the goal and  get rewarded for this. This also helps them get more equipment to use. If the have more they might stay around and play. 

The points should be based upon how much damage you do to the enemy targeting critical units in short supply. Infantry kills should give you very little, whether you're tanking or fighting on foot, because most infantry units besides Engineers, Sappers and PIATs are largely meaningless on an individual basis. Killing tanks, whether you're on foot or in a tank or ATG yourself, is an EXTREMELY important task for your side, and does tremendous damage to the supply of your enemy. Infantry should be far more concerned with capping, which should be where the vast majority of reward lies for them, than killing other infantry, thus nothing should earn you more points than capping and playing the objectives like you're supposed to.

And don't get me started on how worthless RDP bombing is right now. You can be in the air for potentially up to an hour on some long range flights and only get 15 points a sortie...

3 hours ago, OHM said:

The points have really not been changed much. The stuff that was changed was to try and encourage more participation in those areas.  Like defending  CP's was changed to help with defences of towns.   Getting  the new players to do this was the goal and  get rewarded for this. This also helps them get more equipment to use. If the have more they might stay around and play. 

So how come points for towing was eliminated? I think old crew did that not sure anymore.  But used to get points for it , especially when the towed units killed stuff was very lucrative to tow back in the day.

I don’t remind having had points for towing.

I would like to see a shared points system between the units standing around a unit, within a limited radius that would depend on the unit type.

1 person likes this

Engineers : Pts for fixing things. Building things. etc. It is what they do.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, kase250 said:

I dont think we ever had points for towing.  @dre21 may be wrong in this case.

That's how I gained my 1st few ranks, you towed the gun,the gun  you towed killed stuff ,you got points. 

It was actually very lucrative to tow as many as you could and get them into a good pos, not only that but it boosted Teamwork. Something that has somewhat become a nostalgic thing of the past. Imagine getting points for towing , not only will it boost Teamwork but newer players actually learn the game and the sounds while being engaged in Teamwork while the towed unit can fill the player in on the game. 

Edited by dre21

46 minutes ago, dre21 said:

That's how I gained my 1st few ranks, you towed the gun,the gun  you towed killed stuff ,you got points. 

It was actually very lucrative to tow as many as you could and get them into a good pos, not only that but it boosted Teamwork. Something that has somewhat become a nostalgic thing of the past. Imagine getting points for towing , not only will it boost Teamwork but newer players actually learn the game and the sounds while being engaged in Teamwork while the towed unit can fill the player in on the game. 

Interesting.

It would be nice to have that back in game.

There are two basic principles for points allocation for activity in game.

1. Killing and damaging stuff, obviously. How you grade that is multifaceted to a degree, and subject to debate, but has its roots in the difficulty of the achievement determining the value of the points earned.

2. Points for activity that generates the desired environment of gameplay as a teamwork thing. Like towing, strategic and tactical support (capture, bombing, RDP ... ambush creation where it can be measured by some metric, etc..) and this aspect is arguably the more creative and detailed one to produce as a developer. The triggers that are available to employ in generating this kind of thing do, I think ... even as it stands right now ... far exceed the execution in creating these situations. It requires a lot of attention to detail and extensive coding to find and employ such things, but the rewards are quite simply .... beyond the immediate imagination of almost everyone. It is possible to truly shape how the game plays (and is enjoyed long term) through this aspect of points creation. The first (and more obvious) point I made (1.) is more of a short term thing, aimed at immediate gratification.

Point (2.) requires more work but that's why it is so important. You can't ignore point (1.) or no one will be around long enough to appreciate point (2.) but long term ... the second (2.) point is more crucial to what the game actually is, or becomes.

Of course, there is more to this than I point out here but I'm simplifying things for brevity.

1 person likes this

On 23/10/2018 at 8:37 PM, DOC said:

There are two basic principles for points allocation for activity in game.

1. Killing and damaging stuff, obviously. How you grade that is multifaceted to a degree, and subject to debate, but has its roots in the difficulty of the achievement determining the value of the points earned.

2. Points for activity that generates the desired environment of gameplay as a teamwork thing. Like towing, strategic and tactical support (capture, bombing, RDP ... ambush creation where it can be measured by some metric, etc..) and this aspect is arguably the more creative and detailed one to produce as a developer. The triggers that are available to employ in generating this kind of thing do, I think ... even as it stands right now ... far exceed the execution in creating these situations. It requires a lot of attention to detail and extensive coding to find and employ such things, but the rewards are quite simply .... beyond the immediate imagination of almost everyone. It is possible to truly shape how the game plays (and is enjoyed long term) through this aspect of points creation. The first (and more obvious) point I made (1.) is more of a short term thing, aimed at immediate gratification.

Point (2.) requires more work but that's why it is so important. You can't ignore point (1.) or no one will be around long enough to appreciate point (2.) but long term ... the second (2.) point is more crucial to what the game actually is, or becomes.

Of course, there is more to this than I point out here but I'm simplifying things for brevity.

Point 2 is what’s really ripe for development 

Want to rank fast as inf, resupply ammo to a mortar.  Two guys had over 1,000 as rifles supplying ammo, on a single mission.  Yes, over one thousand points each supplying ammo...... Yes supplying ammo is GOOD, and deserves points and encouragement, but over 1,000 seems way too much.

Edited by ian77

I saw a player go from greentag with a brand new account to spawning a tiger in one session of game play. It took him about 6 hours. He did not play as a tank until he got to drive a tiger, just inf for capping and ammo points. No learning the tank game.

Many new players sit with there engines running, dont know how to use their commanders, dont know how many gears are in some of the panzers, and dont know basics like how to deploy the gun in a stug.

You need more points to spawn a sniper than you do to get a Church VII, an S76, or Tiger.

Points/Ramks/Equipment Access needs to be reviewed IMHO

S! Ian

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0