• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lemkeh

Hard mode gameplay option

14 posts in this topic

This theme was touched in "Fear of death" topic, but on many aspects they are different (though they can complement each other).

There are many people who play games in hard mode. For different reasons. Mostly because they want add more "feelings" to their gameplay. And of course, fear is one strongest feeling. And gaming is one cheapest way to gain adrenaline (ok, exist even more cheap variants, but less secure).

Of course, not everyone will want to use such a function, but the hard mode wouldn't exist in other games, if there wouldn't such people. And based on the need of the game in new players, I think it would be good to take a look also in the direction of such people.

But can this game offer more adrenaline for those who want it? I guess, yes. And one way is voluntary self-restricting for spawning after player's avatar death. Will this add more adrenaline to the player? I guess yes. And you too must admit, to risk one's only precious life it is felt much differently, than to risk one life from many. 

Tehnically this might look something so - in Settings might be a checkbox, where players can put a tick, if they preffer a hard mode. There will be a short description, what a player gain and and what does he lose, when he put there a tick. A new selection will be activated after 12 hours.
Now, but what means this voluntary choise? I see it as restriction to spawn in game after player's avatar death during next 12 hours. More will hamper  to spawn even in next day.

Also such players will gain some abbreviation after their nickname, like this  lemkeh.HM   or even better a such mark like here  lemkeh ☠ .

There is also another reason (although not so significant). Some people don't want to play long sessions. A long time spent on the PC might very badly impact their other life. And sometimes, they have only one choice left - to leave the game forever. And of course, people are weak, some of them get overflowing with excitement and forget time and tomorrow's work or school. And some even will be pressurized by squad mates to spawn and spawn again. Certainly this hard mode will not solve all problems of these people, but at least will add some kind of a straw to them, which might help in many situations and not lead them to leave the game. imho.

If I wanted hard mode, I'd just suggest completely removing HUD except for spare magazine counter. I don't see why anybody would willingly choose to lock themselves out of a game for 12 hours.

Hard mode light = control y.  Turn off everything this is not environment from the screen: no chat box, no mini-map, not FPS counter, etc.   it is pretty fun to play like that!  Give it a try.

27 minutes ago, nily5000 said:

any time i have k98 allied are playing hard mode

S!

LIES

5 hours ago, lemkeh said:

Also such players will gain some abbreviation after their nickname, like this  lemkeh.HM   or even better a such mark like here  lemkeh ☠ .

very funny.  

the OP's suggestion is also a very good idea.  10/12 hours no respawn might drive some players to try. whether it is locked from the persona overall, the unit type overall (tank/inf/plane) or specific unit (sherman/tiger/lmg).  its not just the emotion, fear and adrenaline -  its also the achievement or badge or ingame tag     >>>>   lemkeh.HM  <<<<<

new games/new players/young ppl  are often driven by these type of micro-achievements (steam even makes up a separate set for many games ex of the game itself).  its often this 'additional content' that ppl pay for.  could even be DLC option. why not try it? 

1 hour ago, nily5000 said:

any time i have k98 allied are playing hard mode

S!

LIES

LIEEEEEEES

1 person likes this

Don't like this idea.

Maybe something where as you die you lose points of sort, which is what you need to spawn higher gear.

Die a few times and have nothing but rifle to spawn for a while.

Not dying, and doing things like towing, CP guarding etc would get your points back - so you would be eligible for SMG/LMG etc.

That would be my idea offhand, but haven' thought it through really.

I think the achievement route would be the way to go for something like this.  You can always punish yourself by choosing to not play for a certain amount of time after you die...I think a forced spawn lock would be too much.

1 person likes this

OK. Now i will try to explain this a little bit (although without multiquoting).

What about no one will willingly choose to lock themselves from game for long time. That's might be true about the most people. But, WWIIOL is a niche game. Therefore some playing models, which was used in another niche games, might work here too. Some simple examples would be the old Op.Flashpoint and H&D series, and much younger Iron Front etc.
They had many missions Team vs. Team or Co-op, which last long time, to several hours. With meeting on forum, in lobby or the briefing room. Mostly on payed servers. (Yes, were also Gamespy and so on services, but that's more for public). And without possibility to join on-the-fly. That was meaned, if you will killed, you are out until next game session, which might occur after some days (because then people were more serious about preparing for the game). And i can't say that problem was about technical difficulties of these days. Okay, i can't argue about feelings and tastes. Take it as my opinion and you can simply not believe in this. That's it.

Now about HUD etc. I played most of my games in hard mode. Or on servers with hardcore settings (without crosshairs, minimaps, 3rd person view and so on and so on). That's why i got interested of WWIIOL, because here was minimal additional aiding features. An earlier days i also suggested to minimise even them, by changing GPS map into statical but topographical map, always visible compass onto old-school compass by demand, and so on, although without visible results.

But that what is currently in game, is functional due game mechanics and environment. Current countryside haven't significant landmarks or variable landscapes. You have nothing to use for orientation. Not to mention the stars. Same with the cities. They haven't real streets. Your main purpose is to find CP, but they haven't addresses. Therefore you can only use game logic, not a logic from life. And this seats a limit to disable HUD features. Like reporting from a CP about percentage, as example..

Also, as i understood, some do not understand the essence of voluntary restrictions. That's not about OTHERS, that only about YOU, if you make this decision. How can you be too harsh to yourself? Also, this decision wouldn't be permanent. You change your mind, take tick away and after 12 hours you will play like many others in normal mode.

I haven't played any game in Battle Royale mode.
I think when I will find good game in Battle Royale mode, with 1st person view (or good servers with such mode), then i make a tour.
But from my previous experience, this remind me already mentioned Flashpoint series, H&D games, Iron Front, maybe a little also old versions of Americas Army, though there almost all missions were time limited.

In conclusion I will say, that in my humble opinion such feature can't hurt anyone else, but only will add variations to gameplay of these, who want to try it by themselves.

40 minutes ago, lemkeh said:

Also, as i understood, some do not understand the essence of voluntary restrictions. That's not about OTHERS, that only about YOU, if you make this decision. How can you be too harsh to yourself? Also, this decision wouldn't be permanent. You change your mind, take tick away and after 12 hours you will play like many others in normal mode.

In conclusion I will say, that in my humble opinion such feature can't hurt anyone else, but only will add variations to gameplay of these, who want to try it by themselves.

+10 /  its a good idea and worth the achievement and in game tag for some players.  should try it out as a Steam option for players who so choose unless its a big coding problem. 

A better choice at my opinion would be something like this.

At the hard mode, if you spawn at origin X and is killed there, you can't spawn at the same origin X for the next Y hours.

When some player die, this soldier die, an new soldier will join the battle (if the player spawn there), but this new soldier will have information from the old soldier because its the same player controlling this soldier. By not allowing (to those playing at hard mode only) to join some mission at same origin he died, before Y hours/minutes passed, he wont have "MAGICAL" information about the battle he is at, right now.

How it could work:

If you enable hard mode, after Z minutes, the hard mode will really start to have some effect. After it start to have some effect, if you die at some origin X, you can only spawn at it again Y minutes after you died.

If you disable hard mode after it started to have some effect (Z minutes after you clicked to enable it), it will take W minutes to it be really disabled. If you disable the hard mode before it start to have some effect, it will be automatically disabled, this means if you enable it as some mistake, you will be able to disable it before it have some effect.

The hard mode could give some bonus to the players, since the player at hard mode wont have any previous information about the battle, he will be a "weaker" player, so if his side is overpopulated, the spawn delay could be removed for this player, the spawn delay is only removed after the hard mode start to have some effect (Z minutes after the player enabled it).

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, GrAnit said:

Hard mode light = control y.  Turn off everything this is not environment from the screen: no chat box, no mini-map, not FPS counter, etc.   it is pretty fun to play like that!  Give it a try.

Also turn off names/unit  - game gets scary fast! 

Edited by ian77
spelling

On 12/7/2018 at 4:20 PM, ian77 said:

Also turn off names/unit  - game gets scary fast! 

Turning off names/units is good to immersion. Sadly there is one problem - then you can't distinguish one comrade from another even close. But this isn't realistic. I have long time ago suggested to make something like in old Red Orchestra (at least in earlier version) - you see names of your comrades, when they are relatively close, but names disappears, when they are a little further. RO had also one feature, when you see at  your comrade through weapon sight, then its name is visible. But i doubt this is needed in WWIIOnline, because here friendly fire is off.

If such feature would be in WWIIOL possible at least in hard mode, it would be appreciated.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0