• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
tatonka

used pc purchase

31 posts in this topic

Hello all ,

Excited to try game again , been off 3 years or so . Good to hear from you all when I said Hi in the welcome back players post .  I have to upgrade my PC's and dont know what the game requires anymore . Was looking on craigslist and found this one

For sale a nvidea and Intel gaming computer
- gtx 980ti windforce
- i5 4690k
-16gb Corsair vengeance ram
- msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard
- master cooler CPU cooler
-evga supernova 850w gold rated psu
- 480gb SSD + 1 tb HDD

thanks all :)

I'm pretty sure that PC would run the game fine. You didn't list a price so I can't tell you if you are getting a good deal or not but the specs look good to me. Just be careful on Craigslist. There are scammers there, like anywhere else. 

The i5-4690K rates 7797 in multi threading and 2237 single thread. For single thread frame of reference an i9-9900K rates 2888 so its really not that far off from what was just released. The SSD is decent. The 1 TB hdd is a touch small if you have a lot of games. Reference is Passmark scores. The GTX 980 is pretty solid too. If you want you can find video reference on passmark too.   

Edited by odin67

Game is mostly CPU, and ram. I can play on my laptop with chipset video.  

*Make sure* you play on ethernet, not wifi  

1 person likes this

I looked at the individual prices being asked for the component and I think $650 is reasonable. If that doesn't work out for you there is always ArrowDirect. I picked up and HP 8300 for $200. It came with a i7-3770, 128GB ssd and 8GB of RAM. You have to look thru their stuff. Sometimes I don't think they know what they have and you can get some good deals. I got my youngest kid a Xeon E3-1240 v2 system for about $200. I had to buy a GTX 950 video card for it too but it plays all the games he's thrown at it like ARK.

I had bought one from tiger direct..300 and some bucks...I was surprised that no only did it run this game well, but it was running Maya, Blender, and Unity with no problems.

it got sold before I could respond :(    Is AMD any good , there is alot of PC's with AMD motherboards

1 hour ago, tatonka said:

it got sold before I could respond :(    Is AMD any good , there is alot of PC's with AMD motherboards

My PC is AMD, i have no complaints about it.
It's an AMD Ryzen 1600x and an AMD RX 580X with a ASRock X370 Killer SLI AM4 motherboard and 16gb DDR4 2667 ram
Think i spent $560 at the time to build it

On 31/10/2018 at 10:29 PM, tatonka said:

AMD is nice. I have a AMD FX8350 since 2014 and no problems.  I have had other AMDs and never had a problem with them.

ok found some at a small store in town , one is a intel core 2 duo cpu @3.0 ghz   windows 10 4gb memory , new 240 gb ssd , supports 2 monitors , comes with 19" monitor and a hp printer for 225.

and a alienware laptop with intel i5 quad core  @2.3 ghz  windows 7  12.0 gb memory  500 gb hdd , dual grafics vid card for 400.00

I think alienware is dell  , and the 1st one is hp . Both of these companys  always heard bad things in the past , but now I dont know.  thks

You will not be happy with the core2duo, it's time has come and gone many CPU generations ago, it will struggle, even with none gamey things.
The i5 quad will dance circles around it, it can do more at 2.3ghz than the core2duo at 3.0ghz

not sure what your budget is or what you have to work with of your existing PC, but have you considered upgrading it yourself?

21 hours ago, tatonka said:

ok found some at a small store in town , one is a intel core 2 duo cpu @3.0 ghz   windows 10 4gb memory , new 240 gb ssd , supports 2 monitors , comes with 19" monitor and a hp printer for 225.

and a alienware laptop with intel i5 quad core  @2.3 ghz  windows 7  12.0 gb memory  500 gb hdd , dual grafics vid card for 400.00

I think alienware is dell  , and the 1st one is hp . Both of these companys  always heard bad things in the past , but now I dont know.  thks

As Merlin said the Core 2 duo is a bad choice......I5 series, generally spoken are good choices for games.

Yes, Alienware is the Dell gaming laptop series... I had a DELL XPS (before alienware....2008 manufactured and i had it 'till 2016) few years ago and it was a beast. Alienware, MSI and Asus ROG are winner choices for gaming IMHO.

thanks , I have found some better systems on craigslist , but they are not returning my msg yet . thks for all the help : )

You can also go to local "mom and pop" computer stores.  Lots of them will have used systems, or even systems they've built themselves, and they are usually pretty reasonable.  If you get a good place, they should even throw in a short term warranty, like 30-90 days.

-Irish

1 person likes this

Every pc on craigslist I try to contact wont respond , then a few hrs later add is deleted by poster :(   Will keep trying , one pc I just check out said windows 10 was installed but not activated?  What does that mean?  thks

1 hour ago, tatonka said:

one pc I just check out said windows 10 was installed but not activated?  What does that mean?

Possibly the copy that was installed had already been installed elsewhere, so didn't have an available serial number for activation. Or, maybe the installed copy was downloaded from some dodgy net source, and the supposedly activatable serial number that came with it, didn't work.

Unactivated OS software is pretty useless. Unknown source OS software is worse. I'd think you'd want to format the C: drive to a clean state and start over with an activatable OS installation.

44 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Possibly the copy that was installed had already been installed elsewhere, so didn't have an available serial number for activation. Or, maybe the installed copy was downloaded from some dodgy net source, and the supposedly activatable serial number that came with it, didn't work.

Unactivated OS software is pretty useless. Unknown source OS software is worse. I'd think you'd want to format the C: drive to a clean state and start over with an activatable OS installation.

Thankls :)

It will run WWIIOL fine, but I would say not for the price. Get it, but only if you can negotiate the price way down.

The CPU is 6+ years old, the graphics card is 4+ years old and a poorly performing one at that, the RAM is overkill in amount (16GB; should have been 8 GB) but also last gen (DDR3). The description says it all: "can play most games at high to ultimate" ... in other words can play some last gen games which will struggle at high settings and you can forget about anything newer. If you could talk him down to $250 that is the highest I would go; $200 would be decent but anything in between is a fair price.

Don't fooled by the "8 core 3.5 Ghz" processor. Clock speed hasn't mattered for over a decade. Its all about architecture and instructions per clock cycle. Any modern AMD Ryzen or Intel Core i5 will blow this CPU out of the water even if they are both "3.5 Ghz" The fact that the builder paired a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler with a 95W TDP CPU, or put in a 750W power supply for a graphics card that pulls 75W under load tells me that he has no clue what he is doing. Which is good since that means you can negotiate him down a lot.

More than happy to draft email response if need be!

4 hours ago, tatonka said:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sys/d/dell-990-core-i7-quad-core/6748869955.html

just got done talking to the guy , he sounds like a aussy :)   this one seems to cheep to be any good .  Is it because its a dell ?

Tatonka, you need to figure out what sort of graphics card is in it, as well as determine if it can be upgraded going forward. If it's an onboard graphics card, stay away from it. Based on the size (to the right of the screen) it concerns me it will be very hard to upgrade.