amood87

Kickstarter - New Engine - MMO Unreal Networking Solution

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Long time lurker. I'm a WW2 enthusiast and tried WW2 online over the past decade time to time. I couldn't really stick with it based on animations, graphics, etc. Love the gameplay however. 

So, I'm wondering if devs could leap into Unreal development through a Kickstarter? I know many games go there for support and I know plenty of WW2 enthusiast who would be blown away by WW2 onlines scale with an updated engine.

Also, I was browsing YouTube and came across this new technology called SpatialOS. It's a cloud platform for hosting multiplayer games where you can create entire continents with thousands and thousands of players using the Unreal engine for a seamless eperience...sound familiar? Here 's their website. Looks cool. https://improbable.io/

Well, I'm definitely excited to see where CRS takes this game in the next few years. 

Dropbear also mentioned that cloud service a few days ago. I would support anything that would make things go quicker. 

1 person likes this

On 2018-11-03 at 11:02 PM, Zebbeee said:

Dropbear also mentioned that cloud service a few days ago. I would support anything that would make things go quicker. 

Agree as well. 

Seems like this is something that WWIIOL has had from day 1.

https://docs.improbable.io/reference/13.3/shared/concepts/spatialos

Seems like the big sales pitch they are making is that they are a service that provides turnkey server/networking work. Just upload your game and they will take care of everything from the hardware to the software side. But as far as the design this seems like what we currently have... multiple servers that control certain parts of the map that seamlessly switch from Server A to another controlled by Server B. I remember back in the first month of WWIIOL when the servers broke and had to be physically moved there were multiple servers each running an independent version of WWIIOL (there were 6 total IIRC). But when the hardware issues were resolved the servers were meshed back again and all of them ran one map.

I don't know how the server architecture or network architecture works for WWIIOL. But my understanding is that we never had one gigantic server that ran the whole map, but rather there were several smaller servers that controlled players in certain parts of the map and all communicated with the main overall strategic layer sever that controlled town ownership, supply, etc. Seems this is exactly what the folks at Improbable are doing. But please correct me if I am wrong.

Gameworld is divided into Cells 128,000m X 128,000m
A client loads in a number of cells surrounding his current position
As he moves, he preloads the cells he is moving towards, and unloads the cells he is moving away from.
The amount of cells he has loaded around him at a given time is enough that no unit can move fast enough to need to buffer anything in noticeably
You'd need an SR-72 blackbird to try.

That is graphically, and it is handled client side.
at any given time, our game client is directly aware of 409600000000 sq km of world.
This is aware mind you, not rendering, meaning that that terrain is ready to rock and roll with no loading.
And the client is able to section that loading down into 800m X 800m sections on the actual rendering side of things.

network wise, the client deals with a smaller area as he does not need to know where someone is running or driving around at 5 cells away
That is where the cell hosts come into play, balancing the load and managing network communications so that people get ingame network info
from units inside their affected area, and not get useless data from someone across the map.

There are different hosts to do different jobs, and some are global, such as the map or strat host showing you town status of any town (one of the two), or the chat host
who lets you talk to anyone anyplace.

If you fly a fast plane, close to the ground, as you near a town that has been damaged, you can catch the buildings change state when you are close enough
to communicate data with that cell and receive the detailed strat data, and as you do that, you cease communicating with one of the cells behind you.

1 person likes this

We will be taking a look at this as Dropbear did provide it as a recommendation (thanks again for that).  A bit early to get into specifics, we're evaluating where possible but are keen to deliver as much of the Roadmap as we can.