Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Production Update - Game Environment

Cornered Rats

• CORNERED RAT
Cornered Rats

XOOMSo many good things are happening in terms of Environment Artwork, and today we're going to have several screenshots outlining what that work entails... let's just say this is a pretty big (awesome) update that you want to check out. There's also some investigation and discovery to see what we can do, some fixes to existing artwork, and brand new artwork as well, so let's get right to it. Special thanks to our environment artists: Xl2rippr, Mkw and Morganlines.

eKII?d=yIl2AUoC8zA eKII?d=qj6IDK7rITs eKII?i=P_sCGI6J88o:WJlv3SUHiDk:gIN9vFwOqvQ eKII?i=P_sCGI6J88o:WJlv3SUHiDk:V_sGLiPBpWU eKII?i=P_sCGI6J88o:WJlv3SUHiDk:F7zBnMyn0Lo
P_sCGI6J88o

View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com

I'm extremely excited about this too, I think the environment needs to be improved before other aspects of the game.

The screenshots are cool, but there are a few things that look wrong to me and could be improved.

urbldg02_kitchen.png

The kitchen furniture looks very modern to me, I'd imagine a 1930s kitchen to look more like this (minus the fridge probably)

ba72f78729240486_jpg_530x530_q85.jpg

83e765ce7f4b98c2.jpg

Corn field looks fantastic, and of course infantry needs way more cover, but unfortunately I don't think corn was much common in the area we're fighting in. This is from a 1931 book:

geo_0003-4010_1931_num_40_224_T1_0117_00

In France, corn was produced only in the South Western area that is not modelled at all in the game. In the Northeast it was rare to non-existent. Surface alloted to corn production in France really took off after WWII and the availability of US hybrid crops: 348,000 ha in 1930 (same book) vs 700,000 ha in 1960 and 1,500,000 ha in 1970 (fr.wikipedia).

Awesome!      When?

Will the tall grass disappear at range so you can see in the infantry that think they in cover?

Edited by GrAnit

More concealment is a good thing. More genuine cover would be even better

The game needs to develop the feeling of being in a battle, and increased survivability is a key factor in this

5 hours ago, GrAnit said:

Will the tall grass disappear at range so you can see in the infantry that think they in cover?

Doubtful, what you are referring to is//was the self generating, client side only, radial clutter.
It looked great, but only you saw it, other people could turn it off, and it had a fixed radius outside of which i did not exist.

What Xl2rippr has going on there is static physical models, like a tree or building
so everyone sees the same thing as far as the object goes.

That of course does not always mean you are as hidden as you thought you were, but the grass would not vanish out from under you
200m away.
It would have a low detail LOD so someone looking from a distance would still see grass, just not as detailed.
Kind of like how trees go to a low detail model when far away.

So most likely, if you are too far away to render the grass, you are too far away to render the guy in said grass.

12 hours ago, pachy said:

I'd imagine a 1930s kitchen to look more like this

Everyday+Life+in+France+in+the+Early+193

Overall I think the buildings look very realistic and historical. Yeah maybe the kitchen looks a bit too much like 1960s America and less 1940s France, but I can survive that. Either way just resubbed a hero account :)

• Like 1