xanthus

Game environment update

28 posts in this topic

These 2nd picture from the top and the 3 after about the ruined 2nd floor with floating wood pillars really look bad.. they don't look realistic and they just seem funky not blending well with the other stuff.

Needs more rework or simply remove really looks bad I'm surprise this got past who ever is in charge of the Art direction.

rubble2.jpg

Other than that it's ok too early but I'm not sure about the deeper and more green color of the grass looks too artificial

but in contrast here it looks great:

farmingtexture.jpg

1 hour ago, pbveteran said:

These 2nd picture from the top and the 3 after about the ruined 2nd floor with floating wood pillars really look bad.. they don't look realistic and they just seem funky not blending well with the other stuff.

Needs more rework or simply remove really looks bad I'm surprise this got past who ever is in charge of the Art direction.

rubble2.jpg

Other than that it's ok too early but I'm not sure about the deeper and more green color of the grass looks too artificial

farmingtexture.jpg

It's work in progress but I agree with you. 

The grass on that picture seems so real! Wish all textured looked that real

1 person likes this

All looks fine. Good job!

Wonder when will it be online and if it will require better PC specs for playing the game or effect the perfomance. This might be relevant for a part of the community.

1 hour ago, pbveteran said:

rubble2.jpg

farmingtexture.jpg

The building is  basically fine.  Imagine a background area other than a blue blank screen, which makes it look a bit "poppy" or whatever. Imagine what's behind it, like trees or other buildings or clouds or whatever. 

S! 

Yes, as stated, these things are a work in progress. We're sharing this with you to let you know the development of WWII Online continues and we're consistently looking for areas of improvement. S! 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, pbveteran said:

You do realize that you are looking at a model OUTSIDE of the game, in a preliminary environment, where 20,000 things will happen to it before it moves to
being tested inside the actual game engine.
Nothing looks the same outside the game, not even existing stuff

Looks great. Glad to see more detail and higher resolution textures going into the game.

Concerns about performance should be pretty minimal. You can purchase a used GTX 1070ti for $150-200 on Ebay which gets you over 100 FPS easily.

12 hours ago, pbveteran said:

rubble2.jpg

There may be opportunities for improvement, i.e. a wrecked second floor frame likely would collapse without support in all four corners, all construction elements have to be structurally integral at at least three points to stay in place, and the absence of realistic thickness in brick walls is relatively unnoticeable in intact buildings but is very prominent in wrecked ones, which have a lot of exposed wall-ends. 

But as to unrealism of a wrecked building depiction as framing only, blast having blown off the wall and roof skins, observe the rear second story of this British house during the Blitz. The photographer didn't walk around to the garden to give us a better photo, but I think similarities are apparent.

I found this with a few seconds of image search...I'm sure better photos for this concept are out there.

11515_450.jpg

Edited by jwilly

Ruble could maybe be taller and reach the first floor like the IRL picture. I could also offer more variety like some of the current destroyed buildings blocks

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, rodsantos said:

Are the Germans getting darker uniforms? Or is this some sort of special unit?

Italian Spec Ops I think....

3 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

Ruble could maybe be taller and reach the first floor like the IRL picture. I could also offer more variety like some of the current destroyed buildings blocks

Agreed.

Maybe some of the huge buildings should become huge, impenetrable hill of ruble when destroyed.

Saying that, good job and thank you for sharing. It is nice to see there are lots of things in progress.

PS Which program are you using for these models? Creative?

7 hours ago, piska250 said:

Agreed.

Maybe some of the huge buildings should become huge, impenetrable hill of ruble when destroyed.

Saying that, good job and thank you for sharing. It is nice to see there are lots of things in progress.

PS Which program are you using for these models? Creative?

Everything that ends up in our game, must go through Creator, the program that you guys have helped us fund and maintain. That is the file type our game reads and allows us to work on previously created (in Creator) content that we otherwise could not work on.

Every step in this direction is good. I would suggest to add more feelings of a mess due war. Maybe to add lying newspapers to the floor (with headlines about the beginning of the war etc.).  Also photos, clothes etc. Perhaps not as separate objects, but as a part of floor's surface.

Also i will to suggest to add some clothes lines here and there over small streets. And to add old cemeteries too here and there. As good places to small skirmishes for infantry (maybe even add so called fresh graveyards, from which you understand that they are from current war). It will make cities more alive..

What about forests? Some underwoods would be appreciated (ferns maybe?). 
Also some fields of vineyards in the countryside.

PS. About the ruins. IIRC, earlier i was heard, that the building's ruins can't exceed building's tile. This isn't anymore a problem? If it is a problem, then my question is  - It is there a way to make the street road to have also at least a pair stages - unbroken road and road with huge remains of the building (when some large building will collapse near it), which will almost prevent transport to use this street ( of course with some algorithm that not all streets around one collapsed building would be impassable) ?

1 person likes this

On 11/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, kase250 said:

Italian Spec Ops I think....

They kinda look like (dare I mention it!) Waffen SS, with the different-looking uniforms that don't resemble Fallschirmjager BDUs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (Never seen a Waffen SS trooper in a picture that wasn't black and white.)

12 hours ago, lemkeh said:

Also i will to suggest to add some clothes lines here and there over small streets. And to add old cemeteries too here and there. As good places to small skirmishes for infantry (maybe even add so called fresh graveyards, from which you understand that they are from current war). It will make cities more alive..

What about forests? Some underwoods would be appreciated (ferns maybe?). 
Also some fields of vineyards in the countryside.

PS. About the ruins. IIRC, earlier i was heard, that the building's ruins can't exceed building's tile. This isn't anymore a problem? If it is a problem, then my question is  - It is there a way to make the street road to have also at least a pair stages - unbroken road and road with huge remains of the building (when some large building will collapse near it), which will almost prevent transport to use this street ( of course with some algorithm that not all streets around one collapsed building would be impassable) ?

Cemeteries is a great idea. Would be an interesting place for fights with lots of cover, I like the clothes lines idea as well.

As for the rubble it can't exceed the building envelope due to potential clipping issues (rubble blocks exit from depot, etc.) but not because of any coding limitation.

12 hours ago, lemkeh said:

Great ideas.

FWIW, I've been pushing for clothes lines for over a decade. Back in the early 2000s, I made some mockups on photoshop and posted them on these forums.

15 hours ago, lemkeh said:

Technically a buildings ruins could be 10 times bigger than the building.
But the problem that would arise is that the building has 0 awareness of anything but itself, It would not know if its ruins wound up clipped strangely
into some undamaged object or the side of a riverbank etc.
So it would be very hard to lay out a town that does not look terribly strange after some things get broken, so you try to keep the broken state within the same footprint as the unbroken.

The roads are a completely separate object class, they are literally part of the ground as far as the gameworld is concerned and as such do not presently
take damage from anything or have any awareness of being hurt.
They would be a kind of feature that would have to be looked into sometime down the road

3 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

The roads are a completely separate object class, they are literally part of the ground as far as the gameworld is concerned and as such do not presently
take damage from anything or have any awareness of being hurt.
They would be a kind of feature that would have to be looked into sometime down the road

One possible way of addressing the question of interactive damage...a destroyed building blocks an adjacent street...might be:

1. Create logic running on the server that manages how much damage can exist in a given small area, so that no area becomes entirely inaccessible and no movement direction entirely blocked no matter how much destructive energy is locally applied.

2. Develop "road rubble" world-objects. These would have no undamaged state, either visual or collider. "Road rubble" objects would be placed in urban areas on top of streets/roads alongside large buildings. Such world objects would appear and become collidable only when triggered by the damage logic, based on the damage state of an adjacent large building.

Or similarly to grenades: use ragdoll technology to throw some objects all around and let them stabilize as PPO but with colliding properties. 

Building collapsing = 20 randomly ragdolled ppos

rubble2.jpg

Just an  observation: the destroyed roof state shown above looks like it defies physics.  The roof beams seems disconnected to the bottom of the building and often to each other.  It looks like it is floating: pretty strange.  A few more stratecically placed beams would help out immersion immensely.

I think that building is wrong visually and efficiently it has too many objects.. it will add more drawcalls and more triangles than necessary. It is also not based in anything historical.

rubble2_Bad_zpsnei27nft.jpg

Why not go for a simpler thing like this:

591-thickbox_default-Stalingrad-Ruins-3.

dd7e12d4d5a5fca40e6120ac5cc0db05.jpg

Just a half destroyed second floor floor with a staircase and open roof..

38 minutes ago, pbveteran said:

It is also not based in anything historical.

The WIP you criticize is for a suburban or smaller-town construction with brick walls and a wood framed peaked roof. That construction was very common in western Europe from the middle ages through now. There are tons of WWII photos out there showing similar damage states for that construction type.

The alternate building you propose is a central city all-masonry, flat-roof construction. That's a good suggestion too, but not interchangable with the WIP. They're appropriate for different places.

efficiently it has too many objects.

Why not go for a simpler thing like this:

591-thickbox_default-Stalingrad-Ruins-3.

I don't understand how you've compared the "efficiency" of the two models, or concluded that the suggested one requires fewer polys. 

Also...the WIP is fully realistic even though simplified, in that it is surrounded by rubble. What is supposed to have happened in the suggested building model...someone sent in Merry Maids and told them to remove all the rubble and clean it up? The complete roof, almost all of the third and fourth floors, and much of the first and second floors were wrecked...they'd fill the building at least to the second floor, with a similar rubble height around some of the outside depending on which way the upper stories fell. I'm glad the game's models take that fundamental realism-aspect into account, and hope they continue to do so.