• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TuftyFoil

Making Better Binoculars

6 posts in this topic

It would be cool if the binoculars in the game were used more. I think to increase the utility of the binoculars they would be utilized more. Ideas include but aren't limited to the following list.

• Binoculars can be used while moving
  • Binoculars can have a blurriness that has to be focus
  • Binoculars have zooming ability
  • Binoculars have an increased range

32 minutes ago, TuftyFoil said:

Binoculars have zooming ability

Binoculars come in a fixed power (Zoom)
They do not generally have any means of changing that, at least not the average WWII variety of field glasses.
They would mostly be fixed power 7X50 6X30 etc.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l500.jpg

No zooming there.

40 minutes ago, TuftyFoil said:

Binoculars have an increased range

They already have a visual range in excess of the unit rendering range

The point, I think, is that "realism" is a complex matrix of ratios between game functional parameters.

When one thing is made to work unrealistically i.e. infantry can observe at a longer range, either the game world will begin working unrealistically because now infantry can observe targets from farther away than those other units can observe or engage that infantry, or a bunch of other ranges also have to be changed.

The first outcome gives up realism, a key marketing distinction for the game. The second outcome basically gets us back where we started, but with all interactions occurring at longber range.

Would be better emulated binocular good for the game? I guess yes. And this kind of suggestions isn't rare guest on this forum.

Using binoculars when moving. I think best way would be make it, like it was in Red Orchestra. Binocular are in you hands and after moving you can again look through binocular, without changing weapons etc. (small moving wouldn't affect using of binos like in current system).
Of course, in game is people, who preffer current system and i would suggest to have both systems (with making a selection in settings) - current (in my humble opinion arcade variant), when you have quick switch between binocular and weapons. And RO-style binocular, where it take a little more time, but have its own good points.

Adjusting of binocular. Yes, this will be good too. IIRC, something similar were in old Sniper Elite (don't know about newer). If RO-style binocular will be implemented, then focusing by mouse wheel would be an small tidbit.

About another two points here is already stated.

I would suggest to add also compass into binoculars. Of course in reality not all binoculars had it, but that will be such small "adjustment" if comparing to always having of radiocommunication by every soldiers in game, that don't need even mention. But at same time current compass on game screen I would change to compass-by-demand. OK, seems i again talk about a hard mode.

Sadly, to current game such compass in binocular will add very small. We don't have proper artillery (only AT), even don't have big mortars, which should have such units as spotters. Even our snipers haven't reasons to have spotters. But who knows, if in game will be such tool, then this will add additional gameplay.

Just an assistance to distance computation (like some tank commanders have) would be great for contact reporting and range setup.

Only for paying players :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0