• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
raptor34

Town/Airfield supply and nationality

79 posts in this topic

Allied players will adapt and overcome. I still think the current supply rule is more realistic and I support it from that point of view. Sane and thought out groupings of national forces should minimize this concern. Paying attention to the areas of responsibly between national forces (or even just other units in the same army) has been a part of military strategy throughout history. 

In end, after the stable release of 1.36 and the current roadmap, I am more interested in the development of WW2OL 2.0 than any further development of 1.0 if it is a battle of limited resources.

2 hours ago, raptor34 said:

Allied players will adapt and overcome. I still think the current supply rule is more realistic and I support it from that point of view. Sane and thought out groupings of national forces should minimize this concern. Paying attention to the areas of responsibly between national forces (or even just other units in the same army) has been a part of military strategy throughout history. 

In end, after the stable release of 1.36 and the current roadmap, I am more interested in the development of WW2OL 2.0 than any further development of 1.0 if it is a battle of limited resources.

Don't forget about integrated voice communications. I think this will be a massive improvement to game play, coordination and retention.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, raptor34 said:

Will integrated voice communications include mission chat and local area "shout" chat? 

I do believe that is the intention
That it would have area chat, and channeled chat

12 hours ago, Chaoswzkd said:

If you're asking if Axis can also overstock, the answer is yes.

It seems to have escaped the entire playerbase once TOEs went out, but you can still overstock supply. Like, today, live, in the game. It's just that no one does it. We're just spotlighting the possibilities with Hybrid Supply.

Making overstock generic and resolving the associated stats and persona issues is likely another 6 months of development, and that might be too optimistic given how many man-hours the volunteer devs can donate to the cause. It's a preposterously tangled mess that would involve completely re-writing the entire way the game handles supply. 1.36 has taken forever itself, and it avoids making any major changes to the way supply is handled in the game. If we started out with that goal in mind 1.36 still wouldn't be ready this year, because we'd still be exploring and trying to figure out how the supply works. It is simply not feasible (nor was it feasible prior) on any reasonable timetable, especially since the community has been at CRS's throat about 1.36 for months and months now.

Yes, not being able to despawn a BEF soldier in a French town and have that BEF soldier stay there is a disadvantage compared to Axis who doesn't have to worry about it. That's why Allied HC should endeavor to keep sane groupings of same-country-owned towns along the front. We've also taken into consideration the SYSTEM AOs to ensure that they can't screw things up.

We're doing as much as we can to mitigate any disadvantage the Allies have without literally ripping away one of the largest components of the game and starting from scratch. It's not that you're not stressing it enough, or that we're discounting the issue as minor, it's that the resolution of said issue is not feasible at this time.

Not throwing a temper tantrum, I did post about this several months ago, mb a year or longer about town being just windows for supply, Just FYI. I was hoping it was going to be taken into account then as so it would not be a forth coming issue. The grouping you suggest is going to happen, however you will see an push to minimize the factions as much as possible. Matter of fact, I would take the BEF completely off the front lines after t1. use them as a blocking force and overstock the crap out of them while they sit. Not optimal, but in t2 they are a liability, not an asset. They are slow, under gunned, out armored, almost zero long range assets. They are defensive in nature. Given the limitations I can't see why we would consider even moving them to the front. You guys want to force thier existence with percentages... you will get what you are given and like it?  Well when it rears its ugly head, I hope you all have worked a solution prior. I understand it's not possible now, just as long as there is a focus. Did I mention the allies are bleeding players? Get infront of it so we don't bleed more and we won't need percentages to make sure we keep the BEF on the map. The only other solution would be that if a French tank despawns at a BEF town the BEF town replaces it in overstock with the current BEF class of tank. Despawns a char, a matty show up in overstock. Despawns a Grease gun, a sten shows up in overstock. Basically the allies need a bone. There are solutions, I'm offering up several that address a ton of them across the board.

8 hours ago, raptor34 said:

Will integrated voice communications include mission chat and local area "shout" chat? 

Go to the Roadmap and see the write up, http://www.wwiionline.com/roadmap 

There's a few different channel types planned, but yes local area (proximity) chat is mentioned.

On 11/25/2018 at 0:00 AM, stankyus said:

Not throwing a temper tantrum, I did post about this several months ago, mb a year or longer about town being just windows for supply, Just FYI. I was hoping it was going to be taken into account then as so it would not be a forth coming issue. 

Yes, that's fine. Again, if we were pursuing that, we'd still be months and months and months away from accomplishing that, as we'd have to completely rip out supply and re-write it from the ground up.

On 11/25/2018 at 0:00 AM, stankyus said:

Matter of fact, I would take the BEF completely off the front lines after t1. use them as a blocking force and overstock the crap out of them while they sit. Not optimal, but in t2 they are a liability, not an asset. They are slow, under gunned, out armored, almost zero long range assets. They are defensive in nature. Given the limitations I can't see why we would consider even moving them to the front. 

So you advocate for the removal of content from the game when said content underperforms? Even if the files still exist, if the players can't use it it doesn't matter.

The only reason why we want to enforce some kind of ratio is because we don't want Allied HC (and possibly Axis HC in the future) remove content from the game.

If Allied HC wants to not have BEF on the front, they can do that. Their frontline can be US/FR, and their backline can be BEF. That'll be a disadvantage since they can't overstock between the backline and frontline, but it's doable. Then the frontline shifts forward or back and they'd have to monkey around with town ownership.

I'm not sure why you're making such a huge deal about it, as if the success or failure of 1.36 relies on the Allies being able to not have BEF on the map, when currently in the game you already always have BEF. Those divisions don't disappear unless one or two or whatever do when the US roll in.

Just like how there is always going to be BEF today, there is always going to be BEF in the future. There'll actually likely be *less* BEF in the future compared to today; the ratios we are thinking of using should offer flexible ranges, not just 50-50 or 33-33-33 splits.

1 hour ago, Chaoswzkd said:

Yes, that's fine. Again, if we were pursuing that, we'd still be months and months and months away from accomplishing that, as we'd have to completely rip out supply and re-write it from the ground up. Understood, good to know you are looking at solution to mixed overstock.

So you advocate for the removal of content from the game when said content underperforms? Even if the files still exist, if the players can't use it it doesn't matterWell I am very glad CRS is aware that the BEF underperforms.. sounds like you all need to FIX that yes?

The only reason why we want to enforce some kind of ratio is because we don't want Allied HC (and possibly Axis HC in the future) remove content from the game. Hmm, what does that tell you about the content then?  Look I like the 17pdr ATG...  We tend to tow them up from rear towns anyway.

If Allied HC wants to not have BEF on the front, they can do that. Their frontline can be US/FR, and their backline can be BEF. That'll be a disadvantage since they can't overstock between the backline and frontline, but it's doable. Then the frontline shifts forward or back and they'd have to monkey around with town ownership. How deep is the front?  If you guys limit it to one frontline town and one link deep to the back line town, you all have choked off 90% of  overstocking efforts anyway.  In order for overstock to have an impact, you need the front to have a minimum of 2 links deep.  I don't understand why you guys keep missing the mark.  Overstocking was a huge portion of squad cohesion.. its social and ownership. That's the glue that holds squads together.. squads are the key to the success of the game..  If squads are not growing the game is not growing and all I see is squads losing players.

I'm not sure why you're making such a huge deal about it, as if the success or failure of 1.36 relies on the Allies being able to not have BEF on the map, when currently in the game you already always have BEF. Those divisions don't disappear unless one or two or whatever do when the US roll in. The big deal has NOTHING to do with the BEF. Have you not read what I said? It has to do with allowing mixed faction overstocking which is a big deal when one side can generate tickets after a successful attack or even defense while the other side cannot.

Just like how there is always going to be BEF today, there is always going to be BEF in the future. There'll actually likely be *less* BEF in the future compared to today; the ratios we are thinking of using should offer flexible ranges, not just 50-50 or 33-33-33 splits.

If we where able to share overstock, I don't think the Allies would want to minimize the BEF.  I absolutely love it when the US and BEF occupy the same town. The supply complements each others kit very nicely.

You can only overstock a town, with the same equipment from the same country. This keeps things smooth and consistent with the UI and how personas / missions work. Remember, there will still be some form of move-able units on the map, which means you will be able to, like today, have a French Brigade (Flag) on top of a British Garrisons (Town) and access both supply pools. That same town (Garrison) can have its country changed quite easily as well, though there's a consequence for doing that... which is waiting for the supply to return which won't be fast, so as to make that commitment of changing that town a serious one / not game the system by giving Allies a supply advantage against their German counterpart.

There will be a frontline, and one town adjacent to the frontline which is consistent with our original design goal.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, stankyus said:

Well I am very glad CRS is aware that the BEF underperforms.. sounds like you all need to FIX that yes?

I wasn't commenting on whether or not it over- or underperforms; I was just trying to clarify your position, which you haven't clarified. If you think there is an equipment item that underperforms, it should just be removed from the game?

How deep is the front?  If you guys limit it to one frontline town and one link deep to the back line town, you all have choked off 90% of  overstocking efforts anyway.

As has been repeatedly stated, the only activated "garrison" supply will be for Frontline towns (adjacent to enemy towns), Backline towns (adjacent to Frontline towns and no enemy towns), and Reserve towns (has an AF or Dock).

In order for overstock to have an impact, you need the front to have a minimum of 2 links deep.

Disagree, but allowing for it in the future might be possible if it doesn't look like it's working.

Overstocking was a huge portion of squad cohesion.. its social and ownership. That's the glue that holds squads together.. squads are the key to the success of the game..  If squads are not growing the game is not growing and all I see is squads losing players.

If this is true, and I'm not saying it isn't because I wasn't around before TOEs, then why aren't squads doing any overstocking today? They absolutely can.

The big deal has NOTHING to do with the BEF. Have you not read what I said? It has to do with allowing mixed faction overstocking which is a big deal when one side can generate tickets after a successful attack or even defense while the other side cannot.

You went on a pretty big tangent against ratios and such if it's not such a big deal. I have read what you've been saying about allowing mixed faction overstocking. You have made your point: not being able to do it is a disadvantage for Allies. I've addressed it: not feasible in any reasonable time frame to fix the larger issues plaguing the game, not even if we started with that goal in mind in the first place.

13 minutes ago, XOOM said:

You can only overstock a town, with the same equipment from the same country. This keeps things smooth and consistent with the UI and how personas / missions work. Remember, there will still be some form of move-able units on the map, which means you will be able to, like today, have a French Brigade (Flag) on top of a British Garrisons (Town) and access both supply pools. That same town (Garrison) can have its country changed quite easily as well, though there's a consequence for doing that... which is waiting for the supply to return which won't be fast, so as to make that commitment of changing that town a serious one / not game the system by giving Allies a supply advantage against their German counterpart.

There will be a frontline, and one town adjacent to the frontline which is consistent with our original design goal.

How is that a supply advantage for the Allies? 

All axis gear that is despawned at an adjacent town is considered overstock and new tickets are generated at origin town. 

If a BEF tank RTBs at a town that is French, the BEF equipment gets returned to origin and no new ticket is generated. ONLY FRENCH equipment is counted to overstock and new tickets are generated at origin.   That is a Axis supply advantage is it not?

I think mb you are seeing it as simply overstocking the full ticket list..  The overstocking function is not necessarily just a function of pooling supply, it also acts as a function of reserving supply.  IE after you take a town, the supply that is RTB'd after a successful attack enters the new towns supply as overstock and can be pulled if a counter attack happens before the towns ticket supply begins to trickle in.  The same can be said if you are using reinforcements after a successful defense.  If you start rolling a few towns that extra supply starts to grow at a greater pace along the faction line.

Imagine this scenario:

Town has a British garrison force. Attack is made from the town and supplies are wiped out.
Town ownership gets flipped to French, and new supply comes in. Town does on attack again.
And then repeat this cycle.

What he is saying that when you flip town ownership as Allied there will be some period of time it takes for the new nations supply to come in, so it avoid the above scenario where some clever Map OIC starts effectively manufacturing supplies by timing the flip of town ownership to supply stock levels. The current system seems pretty fair. Gives flexibility to switch town ownership as needed, but makes it in a way that it can't be used to game the system.

1 hour ago, Chaoswzkd said:

I wasn't commenting on whether or not it over- or underperforms; I was just trying to clarify your position, which you haven't clarified. If you think there is an equipment item that underperforms, it should just be removed from the game?

As has been repeatedly stated, the only activated "garrison" supply will be for Frontline towns (adjacent to enemy towns), Backline towns (adjacent to Frontline towns and no enemy towns), and Reserve towns (has an AF or Dock).

Disagree, but allowing for it in the future might be possible if it doesn't look like it's working.

If this is true, and I'm not saying it isn't because I wasn't around before TOEs, then why aren't squads doing any overstocking today? They absolutely can.

You went on a pretty big tangent against ratios and such if it's not such a big deal. I have read what you've been saying about allowing mixed faction overstocking. You have made your point: not being able to do it is a disadvantage for Allies. I've addressed it: not feasible in any reasonable time frame to fix the larger issues plaguing the game, not even if we started with that goal in mind in the first place.

Chaos, its because you are twisting what I have already stated in knots. Go back are reread, I'm not going spend time untangling the mess you made.  I have stated my positions specifically.

Do you agree that the BEF becomes a target or asset in T2 or T3?  Answer is yes it becomes the ugly step child of the game... Why? Because it lacks speed, armor and range.  Why would you all want to put percentage limits if there was not a concern that mb one of the factions might be eliminated?  If no faction was better than the other, nobody would care right? Its simply logic and TBH I think you are toying with me.

TBS best feature was the ability to overstock and manual resupply. It gave ownership to the PB. Squads would spend hours rolling up supply and even days. If you limit supply to just one link, you give zero incentive to overstock because you deplete the adjacent supply.  The effort is not worth the limits.  The same with JWBS.. well there was more to just that.. 1. The HQ only overstocking was a PITA. 2. Major limitations on overall overstocking.. while I agree some limitations to RPATs and top tier gear is a must, there is no reason why I should not have been able to overstock the whole HQ supply into a brigade of other items. 3. JWBS - need I elaborate? 4. HQ often was needed as a stopgap for breakouts and many times and places across the map, the HQ was 2 links away from brigade sometimes more. Just FYI, I did do some overstocking and the time vrs reward was negligible. The 23rd armored which is now AEF and when I was with 3rd PZ spent a lot of time overstocking prior to brigades..  and when brigades first where introduced, we stopped because JWBS would warp fresh supply into the area eliminating all the effort put into it. JWBS literally KILLED the 3rd PZ as a squad - we regularly had 40 ppl on and on squad nights sometimes 125... where is the 3rd PZ today? Same could be said to the Anzacs and the 23rd. We formed AEF in order to push those numbers back up because it was bleeding players.

I think I excepted your answer did I not? I'm fine with that.. but you asked why its a big deal... I answered your question - that is not a tangent, that is simply explaining it to answer YOUR question.

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, aismov said:

Imagine this scenario:

Town has a British garrison force. Attack is made from the town and supplies are wiped out.
Town ownership gets flipped to French, and new supply comes in. Town does on attack again.
And then repeat this cycle.

What he is saying that when you flip town ownership as Allied there will be some period of time it takes for the new nations supply to come in, so it avoid the above scenario where some clever Map OIC starts effectively manufacturing supplies by timing the flip of town ownership to supply stock levels. The current system seems pretty fair. Gives flexibility to switch town ownership as needed, but makes it in a way that it can't be used to game the system.

That's all down to ticket timers and if resupply tickets are the same time as trickle supply which they should be to prevent gaming the system.. I could see a scenario where you could flip the town after overstocking supply at the border where there is a factional divide - which is probably the best answer to the issue as it stands (good thought btw). The difference is that even during TBS, nobody completely drained a town of supply.  The overstocking was specific to atgs, tanks, lmgs and sappers.. well LMGs and SMGs where secondary.  Sometimes it was trucks because we had to ferry troops from the FB to town manually. AQ could shut down an attack by killing all the infantry and trucks in route and we had to resort to running in from the FBs.  We had 23 opels in supply but when we attacked cities like Antwerp we would overstock the opels to max capacity at 99. Anyway, flipping towns eliminates all supply until the trickle timer fills the garrison supply back up - and that leaves a hole in the lines... All one has to do is check supply on the other side or switch sides. Something that was not uncommon back then - and I am sure is done to this very day.

We had some of the most insane armor columns, but the highlight was running into a massive Allied armor column with a massive armor column of our own.. both sides had something like 100 tanks in each column and we met 2k outside town on a slope. The allies hit the top of the slope when we hit the bottom of the slope.. pure tank and ATG battle at that point that lasted 15 minutes or less but probably the single most exciting and awesome battle I have been in since I started playing in 2003.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Chaoswzkd said:

because it's faster to wait 2 min, then move a flag in with way more supply than any 1 squad could move in over the course of hours

6 minutes ago, B2K said:

because it's faster to wait 2 min, then move a flag in with way more supply than any 1 squad could move in over the course of hours

Yup, exactly
Pre TOE, a squad might have a pre OP group who could get on earlier, that may spend several hours driving carrying and hauling
in units from various locations so they did not just absolutely deplete anyone location

2 hours ago, stankyus said:

How is that a supply advantage for the Allies? 

All axis gear that is despawned at an adjacent town is considered overstock and new tickets are generated at origin town. 

If a BEF tank RTBs at a town that is French, the BEF equipment gets returned to origin and no new ticket is generated. ONLY FRENCH equipment is counted to overstock and new tickets are generated at origin.   That is a Axis supply advantage is it not?

I think mb you are seeing it as simply overstocking the full ticket list..  The overstocking function is not necessarily just a function of pooling supply, it also acts as a function of reserving supply.  IE after you take a town, the supply that is RTB'd after a successful attack enters the new towns supply as overstock and can be pulled if a counter attack happens before the towns ticket supply begins to trickle in.  The same can be said if you are using reinforcements after a successful defense.  If you start rolling a few towns that extra supply starts to grow at a greater pace along the faction line.

No one here is denying that managing supply is a bit tricky, we know it is. It would behoove who ever is managing the battles to stick with relevant supply if in fact you want to continue pressing the line with those same units. If you launch your attack with BEF supply, presumably you'll want to retain all that supply by maintaining the new town with the same British ownership, right? 

Move French / US brigades in that area and that'll keep the supply dynamic in the region.

4 hours ago, stankyus said:

We had some of the most insane armor columns, but the highlight was running into a massive Allied armor column with a massive armor column of our own.. both sides had something like 100 tanks in each column and we met 2k outside town on a slope. The allies hit the top of the slope when we hit the bottom of the slope.. pure tank and ATG battle at that point that lasted 15 minutes or less but probably the single most exciting and awesome battle I have been in since I started playing in 2003.

Agreed. One of my best and earliest memories from 2001 WWIIOL apart from my first first time playing the game as a lone rifle with ZZ in his Panzer III was leading a 15 column panzer spearhead and running into a slightly smaller group of Allied armor doing the exact same thing. I can replay the battle in my mind as if was yesterday! Amazing, white knuckle battle.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, XOOM said:

No one here is denying that managing supply is a bit tricky, we know it is. It would behoove who ever is managing the battles to stick with relevant supply if in fact you want to continue pressing the line with those same units. If you launch your attack with BEF supply, presumably you'll want to retain all that supply by maintaining the new town with the same British ownership, right? 

Move French / US brigades in that area and that'll keep the supply dynamic in the region.

I think Aismov has a somewhat satisfactory idea to the boarder areas. Not ideal but given the circumstances it could provide some relief to the situation if we are willing to gamble. I think its worth a go to see if the gamble is worth it.

As for what town ownership is like really depends on many factors. Tier advancement, if you plan to use the town to stage attacks or provide a defensive wall.  In T0-1 BEF has the Matty - it can attack. In T-2 and beyond, because it lacks range, speed and armor its assets lend better for defense, especially in T3 with the CH7. The French and US forces are much better equipped for attacks so they are preferred front line units.. they also have a very nice defensive bite. The better presumption would be what the strategic value of the area is as to the units put in place.

I think Aismov has a somewhat satisfactory idea to the boarder areas. Not ideal but given the circumstances it could provide some relief to the situation if we are willing to gamble. I think its worth a go to see if the gamble is worth it.

Which idea are you referencing specifically, show me please.

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

Which idea are you referencing specifically, show me please.

"Town has a British garrison force. Attack is made from the town and supplies are wiped out.
And then repeat this cycle."

I'm not looking at this verbatim or situation specific, but the idea of switching for supply at faction barrier does hold merit.

If you have backline town that has 2 links to frontline towns, you can overstock depleting your forces to the same faction, then instead of waiting on timers to refill the faction link, switch the backline town to the other faction.. then overstock the second factions front line town.  The gamble is that the rear towns left over supply is wiped out till the new factions tickets are filled again. Going to need some forethought by HC though, but with practice it could work.

7 minutes ago, stankyus said:

"Town has a British garrison force. Attack is made from the town and supplies are wiped out.
And then repeat this cycle."

I'm not looking at this verbatim or situation specific, but the idea of switching for supply at faction barrier does hold merit.

If you have backline town that has 2 links to frontline towns, you can overstock depleting your forces to the same faction, then instead of waiting on timers to refill the faction link, switch the backline town to the other faction.. then overstock the second factions front line town.  The gamble is that the rear towns left over supply is wiped out till the new factions tickets are filled again. Going to need some forethought by HC though, but with practice it could work.

What if  town ownership switch was limited to frontline towns?

26 minutes ago, Zebbeee said:

What if  town ownership switch was limited to frontline towns?

I don't know why that would be a coded in.  If the rear towns stayed static without the ability to switch.. it only works if you push the map because you can control the front line faction percentage.. however if you fall back the inactive BEF towns (for instance) become active. Not only it they might exceed the percentage, but you then create a hard supply wall if the frontline towns that fell back are French. The garrisons are not going to act in a specific E-W direction, they will go N and S also. Some by HC design, some because the Allies where forced to keep faction percentage limits.  If we cannot control our rear line faction, you can literally cut the faction reserve supply until they are eliminated.. Nobody is going to switch the frontline because it wipes the supply for 6 hours. Nobody is going to resupply 300 infantry to fill the gap from the rear.. plus the Axis will see the front line switch and hit it immediately. All a good GHC needs to do is look at those barriers and do some math and they will game the systems barriers that effects only ONE side.  As the hybrid systems current design, the barriers are going to be gamed as it is, why compound the issue?

This brings up another issue with creating a percentage limit.. What happens if the Axis are on a roll, they hit ALL BEF towns on the front and now our new frontline exceeds the faction percentage?

Are we forced then to switch some towns BEF?  What if its 5 or 10 towns that have to be switched to BEF? Does that not kill a good portion of our supply for 6 hours? What if no HC is on to make the switch? How fast do we have to make the switch.. sounds like a lot of foresight would be required to switch towns as not destroy a towns overstock or creating a new resupply issue?

Allied HC can flip the country of a Garrison but it comes at the price of a longer trickle timer, it won't be something that they want to do without good reason.

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Nick said:

Allied HC can flip the country of a Garrison but it comes at the price of a longer trickle timer, it won't be something that they want to do without good reason.

Which again brings up if the allies are in retreat and the frontline is pushed back.. as the new garrisons become activated the potential for EXCEEDING the factional percentage rule is rather present.  The allies are going to be penalized while losing because we have to chose some towns to switch wiping out the supply for more than the trickle supply timer (?) 

TBH the more I think about this, I think the system is going to need some serious modifications or at least eliminating the factional percentage rule until it gets ironed out.