• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TuftyFoil

Vote on Spawnable Railroad Station

Should Train Stations be Spawnable?   18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Train Stations be Spawnable?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Very Simple Idea whereas troops like infantry can spawn at railroad stations which would make railroad stations actually useful.

P.S. I'm not advocating for an actual train to be made into the game (yet...) but  just a spawnable railroad station which could more easily be accomplished than other ideas and in the next several months.

I think this is good idea but it would have to be redesigned as it is too open inside and it would turn into a killing zone .

4 minutes ago, tr6al said:

I think this is good idea but it would have to be redesigned as it is too open inside and it would turn into a killing zone .

need trains to go on train tracks. tracks can be bombed. civilian ticket sellers and passengers too. 

Image result for ww2 train station europe

Infantry spawning at an RR station makes a certain amount of very abstracted sense, as long as the RR station isn't in direct contention. Obviously it was impossible in WWII to successfully run a troop train right into a battle and survive the process.

But particularly consider heavy equipment...especially tanks and heavy towed guns. They've never made sense spawning from a little building in numbers well beyond what would fit into that building. Or, from a "fire base" in the middle of nowhere.

Tanks commonly were moved distances of more than say 10km by train. It would make considerable sense at that same level of abstraction to have tanks spawnable only from an RR station, for both attackers and defenders...and the RR station cannot be in direct contention.

2 people like this

If already to do , then maybe a little more complex - after capturing of Rail station to allow there  to spawn firstly only for combat engineers/pioneers (who supposedly will arrive there by using the railroad car or handcar), to preparing station to arriving all other soldiers and armor. To simulate the inspection of railway tracks and cleaning the area from the mines.

9 hours ago, lemkeh said:

after capturing of Rail station to allow there  to spawn firstly only for combat engineers/pioneers (who supposedly will arrive there by using the railroad car or handcar), to preparing station to arriving all other soldiers and armor. To simulate the inspection of railway tracks and cleaning the area from the mines.

I don't think there's been an instance in European warfare since the 1800s when initial attackers arrived in a combat zone by rail. 

Locomotives are very high value, difficult to manufacture, and extremely fragile. A single AP bullet or bomb fragment can destroy them. Only a crazy general would throw away their tremendous logistical usefulness in return for a minor amount of troop movement conveniencel. 

Rail is a behind-the-lines transport mode. An attacker that holds an FB toward the next linked town might spawn infantry or tanks from the RR station in the current town, if it's out of artillery range, instead of from the AB barracks or garage. A defender might spawn from the RR station in the next town back.

It'd be great if CRS were to develop RR functionality, as long as it's realistic.

You are right, that's not about direct combat zone. And i didn't mean that. Yes, one link behind frontline would be good. They all arrived (imaginable) to the station, and then go by the trucks to combat zone. It's like last link, which was simulated in previous game. And there were always a problem, imho. Soldiers and artillery guys should not look for transport to get to the battle. This problem was partially solved by spawning in FMSs, FRUs etc.  But now the armor and artillery stayed without covering by infantry.

(OT. Several times were suggested to give to the artillery a towing truck as part of the unit. I suppose, that CRS think, that they will lost money due that. But maybe is something other, what they may give to Heroes, maybe the bicycle or even a motorcycle, as a tool?).

But what with the armor? Again, there were suggestions to split infantry to pure infantry (which can spawn in all these FMSs and depots. And the mechanized infantry, which spawn in same locations, where spawn the armor. Now, pure infantry will have the instant combat gameplay, like it is today.

But mechanized infantry will be more like previous infantry from old WWIIOL. Though their transporting to combat need of better solution. Would be a good variant, if at least three armor vehicles is spawned, then there automatically spawn also a truck (or more), which will have a function to follow such a column. Maybe is needed a separate opinion exchange to find a best technical solution to do it. Of course, the manually driving trucks will stay, (like for the pure infantry), to have more maneuverability, when it is needed.

Now, someone will ask, how this long s**t  belong to theme of spawning in railroad station. But i guess, directly, because such mechanized infantry and armor can to spawn on the Rail station, and to drive to combat zone.Though here is also one problem. There is too few stations at all. Where is rural stations? They too is needed to implemented. Now you will have more variants to maneuvers, more different modes to play game etc.

But as i said, firstly is needed to allow to spawn on captured station only for combat engineers/pioneers/combat sappers. I guess, nobody doubt that tracks and area needs a verification before using (this is needed to be as additional game play, not as annoying obligation). If there is a connection by rails, then on the imaginable rail road vehicle. If there isn't connection, then maybe by using a truck, or even an engineer's truck.  Something like here  Engineer's missions

And one question, have someone a proper map of railroads in Europe in 1940 year?

13 hours ago, lemkeh said:

And one question, have someone a proper map of railroads in Europe in 1940 year?

Here's a fairly detailed 1921 map. http://transpressnz.blogspot.com/2012/03/railway-map-of-france-1921.html

Kilemall might have more insight, but my understanding is that France wasn't abandoning trackage in the between-wars years, so this map is probably pretty workable.

There might have been some trackage upgrades...I'd guess that was the case for the lines that were exclusively allocated to the British to connect the Arras supply center to the Bay of Biscay ports where most British forces and supplies were landed. 

@Kilemall

1 person likes this

On 11/20/2018 at 9:32 PM, jwilly said:

Here's a fairly detailed 1921 map. http://transpressnz.blogspot.com/2012/03/railway-map-of-france-1921.html

Kilemall might have more insight, but my understanding is that France wasn't abandoning trackage in the between-wars years, so this map is probably pretty workable.

There might have been some trackage upgrades...I'd guess that was the case for the lines that were exclusively allocated to the British to connect the Arras supply center to the Bay of Biscay ports where most British forces and supplies were landed. 

@Kilemall

I'm not really up on the interwar status of European railways, but I do know they were a target, to stop reinforcment and supply movement and strategically isolate the battle area.  The USSBS goes into this topic.

This one is a goodie for industrial whatnot-

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015048839750

And a general overview with rail on page 59-

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015049492716;view=1up;seq=75

As such I think of them less as a spawn point and more like a minifactory that should slow resupply tickets.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0