• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
major0noob

"generating activity" game philosophy/attitude, can it be directed to the FMS

135 posts in this topic

at this point though, it's the lesser of two evils.

wack-a-mole did get silly, but it was better than nothing and squads did pull off fun ops often

everyone in favor of the FRU has left already.

lob told me i'd regret backing it and i do... the game was more fun with the inf FRU keeping AO's alive

4 hours ago, major0noob said:

at this point though, it's the lesser of two evils.

wack-a-mole did get silly, but it was better than nothing and squads did pull off fun ops often

everyone in favor of the FRU has left already.

lob told me i'd regret backing it and i do... the game was more fun with the inf FRU keeping AO's alive

The Rambo INF who magically sneaks through the lines placing FRUs..... no that was not fun, specially for tankers and specially if we talk about keeping an AO alive cause it was very easy to place DFRUs behind the attacker lines.

Some players left the game because the truck FMS, well, me and many others left the game because the magic and wonderful FRU.

ADDITION: Well, I have not played for almost a month due to work and personal issues. But I think the FMS is not the main problem, the problem is lack of numbers. IMHO and like i said other times, first we need to decrease the volume of trucks, maybe adjust the EWS too, but the main problem is the lack of numbers not the FMS system IMO.

Just for giggles I looked at the two discord’s last night and counted the non AFK players.  There were 7 on one and 6 on the other distributed over 4 channels.  13 non AFK players during prime time that represent the “organized” numbers. If we go with XOOM’s premise that a 15 - 30 man squad is needed to form a proper attack then the numbers on both Axis and Allied discord didn’t even have enough to form a proper attack if all of them jumped in the same channel. That’s not to say there are not times when both channels meet the attack criteria but you have to look at the reality, the game as currently designed only functions correctly at peak population times. At times those populations don’t even show up in prime time. So why would you design the game so that it only functions during those rare moments of peak population. 

@asimov  Loved the photos. I was also around for the massive armor columns pre MS, UMS, FRU, and FMS. Both the game rules and game population are drastically different then they were back then. Back then my three man squad could load up in an opel and charge into town dodging a hail of bullets and roll right a bunker and storm it. If we made it to the back room the whole town flipped ownership in the blink of an eye. I’m not saying that game play was superior, what I am saying is that the capture mechanics were 180 degrees different in those days as compared to now. Small squads were extremely relevant back then because they could flip the script on an entire battle. 

You also have to remember that the landscape of CRS’s competition is changing. It used to be WWIIOL or a shoebox. Now those shoeboxes have gotten a lot bigger and continue to do so. In addition they are graphically superior. It’s just reality that CRS has to face that the competition has gotten better. WWIIOL still has a better concept than many of those games but it often lacks in execution. Hopefully it will turn a corner and start retaining players but I don’t think it can if it doesn’t give the current small squads some objectives that they can accomplish. 

There used to be more on TeamSpeak then what we have now.

I personally don't use discord, the only reason it's on my PC is cause my kid uses it.

Other reason is I don't care what one had for lunch or if he has a hot sidechick. I care that I can hear that ET coming so I can get the drop on him and I can't do that when one has fighters over my head dog fighting and Charly is trying to tell everyone a story over discord.

12 hours ago, kase250 said:

The Rambo INF who magically sneaks through the lines placing FRUs..... no that was not fun, specially for tankers and specially if we talk about keeping an AO alive cause it was very easy to place DFRUs behind the attacker lines.

Some players left the game because the truck FMS, well, me and many others left the game because the magic and wonderful FRU.

yes... but there's no denying there was lots of gameplay and AO's were active throughout their lifespan.

compared to the FMS, giving up on a AO after 15min is common

12 hours ago, kase250 said:

ADDITION: Well, I have not played for almost a month due to work and personal issues. But I think the FMS is not the main problem, the problem is lack of numbers. IMHO and like i said other times, first we need to decrease the volume of trucks, maybe adjust the EWS too, but the main problem is the lack of numbers not the FMS system IMO.

i agree, i'm arguing the FMS's required "ZoC and teamwork"  vs the "ZoC and teamwork" to deny them/camp/and blow them is unbalanced

the numbers required for a single one need too many people compared to the number of defenders.

it can be 2 defenders vs 10 attackers and the defenders will still win. or 5 vs 20, the defenders threshold for stopping gameplay is too low.

it's easier to get 5 people than 20, the 5 don't even need teamwork or leadership.

13 hours ago, kase250 said:

But I think the FMS is not the main problem, the problem is lack of numbers

this... i was [censored]ing and moaning for 10 months from FMS's 3min build times, we would go 3-6 hours at a time without a FMS. (Tz1)

in that time nearly everyone stopped playing because there was nothing to do. the FMS is causing low activity and people are not playing from low activity.

we were all trying to build them, but it was too easy to kill us while building.

Edited by major0noob

Lets increase satchels to kill a FMS to 6, thereby requiring two engineers to take one down and see what happens. The build timers are reasonable as they stand right now.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, kase250 said:

Agreed. 

While the concept was well meaning the actual implementation was not well thought out.  Tankers suffered greatly from this and Im sure it caused some to unsub...........BUT it was a good way to get action into town.  Maybe the sapper should have been eliminated from that equation at the time but it really makes no difference now.

43 minutes ago, aismov said:

Lets increase satchels to kill a FMS to 6, thereby requiring two engineers to take one down and see what happens. The build timers are reasonable as they stand right now.

regardless of our difference in opinions, the FMS is not getting the attention it deserves compared to the AO's supply and cap timers

it took 10 months to see 3 min build times were a bad idea, by then a lot of people gave up

In the Battle of Five Armies in the Hobbit movie series large tunnelling worms created on the spot "spawns" for the advancing Orc's (no truck sounds, not easily destroyed, secure supply route). This along with the charging Dwarves with large axes mounted on large Hogs and on Dall sheep with large ramming horns could be crucial to taking out enemy tanks and infantry and safe guarding the "spawn."  Include some attack Eagles and advanced nesting areas.  If implemented properly these features alone could revive the whole game. 

S!

What do you suggest to change/improve the FMS?  I don't think our current MS is that bad, trucks need to set, that is good.

(yes, the bogus silent allied trucks that coast 10,000m is an issue... please fix...)

EWS for trucks has already been shortened to 700m, almost to short imo.

Sound is an issue, but if you control the area, your truck can make it in and set.

Maybe cut build time to 40 sec, not sure.

not suggesting anything, just want it to stop being ignored.

the 3min build times were ignored for 10 months, forced steam users to walk 5km or use a camped FMS.

even now there are people saying the FMS is fine, only conceding minor issues.

if you want ideas

• the most unanimous is lowering truck noise, I'd say to modern car levels. there doesn't need to be easy truck hunting, let the defenders make a ZoC if they want to hunt trucks
  • my idea is instant FMS, ok they know your there but the spawn is up and they'll need to fight to take it down
  • then there's reverting to the inf-FRU, it DID keep AO's alive for more than 15min and let the players fight more
  • there's also ML FRU with limited supply

first there needs to be consensus that this is a problem...

6 hours ago, major0noob said:

the 3min build times were ignored for 10 months, forced steam users to walk 5km or use a camped FMS.

if you want ideas

• the most unanimous is lowering truck noise, I'd say to modern car levels. there doesn't need to be easy truck hunting, let the defenders make a ZoC if they want to hunt trucks
  • my idea is instant FMS, ok they know your there but the spawn is up and they'll need to fight to take it down
  • then there's reverting to the inf-FRU, it DID keep AO's alive for more than 15min and let the players fight more

Inf FRU is a no go , it killed the Tank game the 1st time around you want the last Tankers to quit?  

ML FRU falls into the same . I never liked the Soldier out of a box like it's a magic trick routine. 

Having a Truck or the way we have it now makes st least somewhat sense from a simulation aspect , Soldier dismounting a Truck or coming out of a bunker , but soldiers out of a box , NO THANK YOU

16 hours ago, major0noob said:

this... i was [censored]ing and moaning for 10 months from FMS's 3min build times, we would go 3-6 hours at a time without a FMS. (Tz1)

in that time nearly everyone stopped playing because there was nothing to do. the FMS is causing low activity and people are not playing from low activity.

we were all trying to build them, but it was too easy to kill us while building.

Hmmmm odd obviously you did not see the need to subscribe to make FMS but rather relied on others but now you are upset , or at that time you were a paying player but did not see the need to set a FMS yourself and left it to others . 

In my eyes your point is kinda mute if you only [censored] about it but did not step up yourself.

I think increase the amount of satchels it takes to blow a FMS

Let a Truck set 2 FMS or set one and then make the Truck itself  a FMS like we used to have it as a 2nd spawn point .

Lower Truck sound , only an option when all Trucks get the same glide distance offroad ( like virtually none). The Morris is a Racecar compared to the other Trucks in game , and it has an insane engine off glide distance even going uphill. 

Introduce more PPOs to protect a FMS better , like an Engineer can set a cluster of Anti Tank barricades instead of just 1 and then having to wait till it refills to set another one.

Edited by dre21

5 hours ago, major0noob said:

if you want ideas

In my opinion it seems to me that you exaggerate too much about the negative impact of FMS on an AO and about the difficulty of activating them.

I think I have never coincided with you on the battlefield, I normally play in Eurotime and in an axis AO there is at least 2 FMS and many times there are more, I personally usually bring Opels frecuently. It is also true that many times there is only one left or only one can be put. And what are we going to do? It's supposed to be war. As I said yesterday, I have not played for a month but I doubt that things have changed in a month.

Putting an FMS is an art that one dominates as one plays more and more:

- You have to know how not to put noise so they do not hear you 

- You have to know when you can turn off the engine to take advantage of the terrain and advance more time with the engine off 

-You have to be clear about where the IAS are 

-You have to plan a route and have a clear idea of where you will more or less locate the FMS,

-Knowing the terrain and good spots is also a key factor

If you do something wrong with this, you will probably get caught and killed or tjey will wait for you to set the FMS an camp it. It is what it is. Mastering this is not achieved the first day, is achieved by learning from veterans and above all trying it many times without being discouraged.

At the beginning of an attack we easily take Opels from 3 to 5 or more players coordinating on which areas we are going to try to place them and I would give you several names of very good axis players in this area: Krazydog, Sorella, Majes99, Hamza ... in short, many of which I have learned a lot.

Now, if what we want is a game that the newly arrived Steam players know how to put an FMS without difficulty and and where all the attacks are a success, for me this game is over. To take a city in a normal campaign with the allies and axis motivated and playing, it has to be difficult and most of the time you have to retreat and that is the grace (at least for me) of this game. 

What we like some players is precisely that things may not go well and, in fact, it is normal for an AO to fail. Then, you have to withdraw and try again later.

In the success of an AO many factors come into play:

-When the MOIC has launched the AO

-When the side begins to attack it without losing "momentum"

-When the EWS is trigered

-Obviously, how the defender will defend the town

If any detail of these fails, the AO will fail and we will have to leave to another place with the tail between the legs. That is precisely the grace of this wonderful game.

Things that I would improve regarding FMS:

-Lower engine volume

-Improve the ability of engineers to put PPOs

-Add more versatile defensive PPOs

-Increase the number of charges needed to destroy them

On the issues that the bedford and the morris and laffly have greater ease to cover ground with the engine off, it would also be interesting for CRS to look at it but I do not want to get too much into that topic because it will surely open another focus of discussion on the balance. 

As I said many times, this is a hard game, it costs to get the objectives and can be frustrating. If there are people who can not stand it, who always want to win, they have to find another game. If in 2018 the young people do not want to fight and walk and guard anymore and just want to shoot and pass the time, unfortunately these games will disappear, rock and roll will die and we will only listen to reggeaton and mainstream pop on the radio. What a [censored] world awaits us

Sorry for this text brick but I left  work sooner and I wanted to develop this well.

S!

2 people like this

What if a Recon Class infantry set a FRU where only Riflemen can spawn, to help set up a ZOC and give situational awareness for the truck coming in with the FMS?  

We did discuss the volume of the trucks (and are looking at what options we have) as it is not as easy as changing .sound truck from 10 to 5. It will take time (as all things do) but it has our attention.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BLKHWK8 said:

What if a Recon Class infantry set a FRU where only Riflemen can spawn, to help set up a ZOC and give situational awareness for the truck coming in with the FMS?  

We did discuss the volume of the trucks (and are looking at what options we have) as it is not as easy as changing .sound truck from 10 to 5. It will take time (as all things do) but it has our attention.

Nope , against it  always hated the concept of a soldier out of a box . We have rivers for a reason we have bridges for a reason . You introduce or reintroduce a new FRU we get Ninja soldiers across rivers again. Don't care if it's just rifles, these Rifles will kill any  and all ATG or AAA guns  that will respond to Tank EWS and one thinks they are somewhat save cause the bridge is down.

You guys want to do it right,  figure out how we can get a Truck to set a Raft PPO, that can cross a river once across it then can become a spawn point . 

Or give Paratroopers a slight faster capping capability,  and introduce a Para Engineer and a Para FRU or FMS aka PMS ( Para spawn point)  .  The PMS only has a limited spawnpool, once exhausted new unit needs to be flown in . Yes the Para ML can set a PMS ( larger tent with camo netting over it. ) 

The Para  Engineer can fix or demolish bridges , set all the PPOs we already have in game.   And we actually make and bring Para units more into the game . Instead of having a ML set a Rifle only FRU.

We can also introduce (and I would say on a 5 min or maybe a 10 min delay timer ) a Parachute EWS icon that would show up over a town .

That would give the Para ML enough time to set a PMS and troops could spawn and repair / destroy a bridge or set a ZOC till other units arrive , like Trucks setting FMS for an AO .

Also to have a chance against Armor ,and EA they would get 2 of each AAA and ATG per PMS .  More ML on the flight more PMS can be set. Remember each PMS only has a limited supply of Parasoldiers.

Edited by dre21
2 people like this

15 minutes ago, dre21 said:

and a Para FRU or FMS aka PMS

Id probably be against a para ground spawn point.
What i would be for is allowing the para planes to "DEPLOY" old truck FRU style, except of course with the plane in motion.
Tie the deploy function to the drop door.
Get over the drop zone, you open to door, and MS appears on the mission, and everyone spawns.
Pilot closes drop door, add a small cool down time on deploying again so it isnt too gamey, pilot gets out of the hot area, hopefully comes around on a new approach and we go again.

Could even trade spawning among multiple pilots on same mission.

And give pilot points for unique spawns, just like the FMS owner gets

42 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Nope , against it  always hated the concept of a soldier out of a box . We have rivers for a reason we have bridges for a reason . You introduce or reintroduce a new FRU we get Ninja soldiers across rivers again. Don't care if it's just rifles, these Rifles will kill any  and all ATG or AAA guns  that will respond to Tank EWS and one thinks they are somewhat save cause the bridge is down.

You guys want to do it right,  figure out how we can get a Truck to set a Raft PPO, that can cross a river once across it then can become a spawn point . 

Or give Paratroopers a slight faster capping capability,  and introduce a Para Engineer and a Para FRU or FMS aka PMS ( Para spawn point)  .  The PMS only has a limited spawnpool, once exhausted new unit needs to be flown in . Yes the Para ML can set a PMS ( larger tent with camo netting over it. ) 

The Para  Engineer can fix or demolish bridges , set all the PPOs we already have in game.   And we actually make and bring Para units more into the game . Instead of having a ML set a Rifle only FRU.

We can also introduce (and I would say on a 5 min or maybe a 10 min delay timer ) a Parachute EWS icon that would show up over a town .

That would give the Para ML enough time to set a PMS and troops could spawn and repair / destroy a bridge or set a ZOC till other units arrive , like Trucks setting FMS for an AO .

Also to have a chance against Armor ,and EA they would get 2 of each AAA and ATG per PMS .  More ML on the flight more PMS can be set. Remember each PMS only has a limited supply of Parasoldiers.

You could always throttle the supply similar to a CP. So x amount of bolt action rifles can spawn and a throttle timer to resupply the FRU.  Your point is valid on the bridge crossing, like I said this is all just theoretical

My own personal views: Against paratrooper mobile spawn. You will have single paras dropping into the abyss from a suicide Ju52 on a one way mission to create an army-out-of-a-box. Also against a recon infantry class creating mobile spawns.

As merlin said the issue with ninja infantry mobile spawns is they they cross rivers and other things which players realistically consider obstacles in the game world. Creating any sort of ATG or tank defense with infantry mobile spawning is extremely difficult and frustrating because you have a constant stream of enemies popping out of mole holes behind your front lines.

I am all for daring ops that surprise the defenders. But if you are going to have a high-reward impact on gameplay (decimating a prepared defense by surprise attacking from the rear), it should be an equally high risk operation that takes time and planning. I by all means welcome paras and infantry behind the lines - but do it the hard way and try to navigate that Ju52 cleverly to the drop point past defending EA. Or try to sneak in that truck by crossing an undefended rail bridge down river from the city. Don't send in one lone para or a swimmer across the river.

Don't see why land spawns can't be both worlds if you introduced LINKING PPO spawns. Originating PPO (that gives the more complete kit list) still starting from truck, a few basic rules/checks to keep the gamey-like aspects from getting ridiculous, things like max links, a smallish x meter-x meter max distance between them, you create a large to smaller set of PPOs that also gets easier to destroy, taking out 1 breaks any links beneath it, you could even start naturally making front lines with it because people would want the benefits of spawning closer as they took ground. ZOCs would be pushed back instead of destroyed outright.

L version that takes 1 > engi satchels, spawns full kit

M version that takes a couple or few satchel, spawns partial kit 

S version that takes couple frag/he/satchel, spawns barebones kit

You'd have all kinds of knobs to flip and dial back, forth, give reason to spawn the more basic front lines kit and not just BAR/FG42, give reason to spawn CS to HE something.

Maybe the L version is a heavy truck PPO and normally most attacks use the M -> S version. 

I don't see why, for instance a basic straight line check between the last PPO to the next couldn't take into account a river is between them. If for instance the S version is an INF placeable one that is more easily destroyed.

You'd create high reward scenarios taking out the L or M out from all the rifles/smgs spawning on the S.

My 2 cents.

2 hours ago, dre21 said:

The PMS....??? Really??? The PMS?  Man these forums have gotten B!tchy.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:17 AM, dre21 said:

Hmmmm odd obviously you did not see the need to subscribe to make FMS but rather relied on others but now you are upset , or at that time you were a paying player but did not see the need to set a FMS yourself and left it to others . 

In my eyes your point is kinda mute if you only [censored] about it but did not step up yourself.

i was trying to set FMS's... so were a bunch of other people that were trying. we all gave up and most of us unsubbed

all our efforts usually only resulted in 1 spawn per AO, that was quickly camped. as well as never getting another up after defenders spawn

this was with the 3min timers

On 11/28/2018 at 5:17 AM, dre21 said:

Inf FRU is a no go , it killed the Tank game the 1st time around you want the last Tankers to quit?  

ML FRU falls into the same . I never liked the Soldier out of a box like it's a magic trick routine.

i know... it's a dirt,y ugly, and smelly thing, but the game is lonely without more than 15 enemies and dead AO's.

with all the flak the FRU got, there's no denying there was lots of activity with it.

there are better ideas, but the FRU is already made, all the work is done for it. with CRS's limited work capabilities these easy jobs are reasonable.

23 hours ago, kase250 said:

Putting an FMS is an art that one dominates as one plays more and more:

- You have to know how not to put noise so they do not hear you 

- You have to know when you can turn off the engine to take advantage of the terrain and advance more time with the engine off 

-You have to be clear about where the IAS are 

-You have to plan a route and have a clear idea of where you will more or less locate the FMS,

-Knowing the terrain and good spots is also a key factor

If you do something wrong with this, you will probably get caught and killed or tjey will wait for you to set the FMS an camp it. It is what it is. Mastering this is not achieved the first day, is achieved by learning from veterans and above all trying it many times without being discouraged.

look in-game at the number of FMS's at AO's and dead AO's, they'll speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, major0noob said:

look in-game at the number of FMS's at AO's and dead AO's, they'll speak for themselves.

Mate, I have already answered this in my post, I do a copy paste:

I think I have never coincided with you on the battlefield, I normally play in Eurotime and in an axis AO there is at least 2 FMS and many times there are more, I personally usually bring Opels frecuently. It is also true that many times there is only one left or only one can be put. And what are we going to do? It's supposed to be war. As I said yesterday, I have not played for a month but I doubt that things have changed in a month.

I am an active player, so I know how many FMS usually are in an AO (at least from axis POV) and why and AO could be dead. I never saw you ingame so I dont know your TZ, your side.....

1 hour ago, major0noob said:

i was trying to set FMS's... so were a bunch of other people that were trying. we all gave up and most of us unsubbed

all our efforts usually only resulted in 1 spawn per AO, that was quickly camped. as well as never getting another up after defenders spawn

this was with the 3min timers

I can think of two things:

-The defenders did their job well

-Attackers are not very skilled and blame the game for their lack of skill, then they demand changes to satisfy their lack of skill, if the developers do not do it their decision is to abandon the ship. 

Of course, as a costumer, it is legitimate but in my opinion not very successful