• Announcements

    • HEAVY265

      TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

      Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
themouse

sorry if this has been discussed before BUT i dont have the time to check

28 posts in this topic

Change the UI  so the individual squad can be associated  with a particular brigade!   and not were they spawn in!   make the  town supply generic ....  x amount of tier 0,1,2,3,4 stuff  so  squads can identify  a specific  unit other than have change  from brit/french/american...Italian/German  depending on where they spawn   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly sure i follow?
Brigades wont exist in a quantity to wall paper the map, and a brigade might get knocked out of existence.
If you are saying tie the squad to the brigade, that seems it could result in the squad finding they got nothing?
Or you mean something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First we have to get the Garrisons in so that groups of players are not dependent on HC's to be able to fight where they need/want to. That IS 1.36. There will still be a Division/HQ or two on each side that operate as they do now to supplement the Garrisons and give the HC's as they are now something to do.

The opening up of the map this way will hopefully ease frustrations enough where groups of folks can overstock Garrisons and attack like they used to back before everything became dependent on flags and 24/7 HC support. Hopefully this will start squads and impromptu groups that organically become squads themselves while playing together growing again, and promote the natural battlefield commanders/squad leaders to become active again, obviously apparent, and supported by the rest of the player base just like they did back when the map was open before the Flag/TOE system.

At that point, it is my hope that we can rebuild the HC Orbat much like it was in the beginning of the original AHC and GHC with web based HC level administration by the players themselves (those squads and their leaders I mentioned above), but this time around, integrate the positions in the web based Orbats properly with in game flag movement controls for the Division/HQ/AO's. This would allow those groups/squads and those natural leaders that are organically forming using the Garrisons, the option to attach themselves to the Brigades in the movable Division/HQ/AO groups naturally and organically becoming the HC and filling its Bde/Div/Corp/Army level positions themselves by promoting the leaders of their choice up the ranks. Squads choosing their leaders. Squad leaders choosing their Bde CO's (who choose to fill in their XO's to operate in their absence, same for each CO position up the ladder). Bde CO's choosing their Div CO's, Div CO's choosing their Corp CO's, and so on and so on all the way to CinC.

That's the main "bones" of what I would like to see the as the new integrated HC "system". The main points being that the rank/control/operation level positions are administrated in real time by the players themselves through web based and in game user interfaces, and operational control of the individual Bde and the Div/HQ/AO groups they make up remains in the control of the player (squad) promoted leaders on the ground (who should be) coordinating with the other Div/HQ/AO groups (as they are activated by re-population/expansion) through the orders/guidance of the Corps and Army positions above that they have populated themselves. With a properly designed nomination/vote/selection (and "battlefield promotion" fallback) system for each level, and appropriate in game UI controls for Flag movement operations and communications, the players operate the HC's and its in game resources with minimal involvement from CRS making it so that there is no more of this "us/them" as their HC leaders are promoted from among st themselves, by themselves.

Anyway, that is how the HC's were intended to operate when their original Orbats were designed and laid out before the web/game integration dev support got indefinitely sidelined, the vision was lost, and game development started trying copy everyone else (closing down the map and funnel everyone into small AO areas) rather than finishing the vision of what we originally intended. S!


     
 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we remember the times when one squad overstocked a flag at 400% of their initial strenght, and then we had problems cause they didnt want their hard work lost due to a nonsense attack or players using the supplies?

Not sure if this has been taken in account to avoid frustrations...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

Not exactly sure i follow?
Brigades wont exist in a quantity to wall paper the map, and a brigade might get knocked out of existence.
If you are saying tie the squad to the brigade, that seems it could result in the squad finding they got nothing?
Or you mean something else?

somthing else.

let me give an example of currently:

As a player you log and their is a battle  in  Andenne  the axis have just 1 British brigade which turns out to be good because I like the British avatar and equipment..so  i spawn and start  fighting but equipment is low, and the brigade is swapped out for a french one.  so I  have to change my persona to french to continue the battle.  to me that's missing a trick.. its not letting an individual  or a whole  squad play/identify with a particular persona,  and certainly not down to a brigade level. 

If however  you flipped it on its head, 

And Instead of  moving   3 commandos from one place to another,  you simply moved an amount of equipment.. a generic brigade and let the player decide what persona he was going to spawn in, a  squad could identify with particular brigade e.g  the whole of  lancers could  always  spawn in as 1.guards wherever they were fighting  (if they wanted to) and become synonymous with that brigade 

Edited by themouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fiambre said:

Do we remember the times when one squad overstocked a flag at 400% of their initial strenght, and then we had problems cause they didnt want their hard work lost due to a nonsense attack or players using the supplies?

Not sure if this has been taken in account to avoid frustrations...

There is a cap on overstocking of equipment based on a percentage of base supply limits, and that cap is adjustable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, themouse said:

somthing else.

let me give an example of currently:

As a player you log and their is a battle  in  Andenne  the axis have just 1 British brigade which turns out to be good because I like the British avatar and equipment..so  i spawn and start  fighting but equipment is low, and the brigade is swapped out for a french one.  so I  have to change my persona to french to continue the battle.  to me that's missing a trick.. its not letting an individual  or a whole  squad play/identify with a particular persona,  and certainly not down to a brigade level. 

If however  you flipped it on its head, 

And Instead of  moving   3 commandos from one place to another,  you simply moved an amount of equipment.. a generic brigade and let the player decide what persona he was going to spawn in, a  squad could identify with particular brigade e.g  the whole of  lancers could  always  spawn in as 1.guards wherever they were fighting  (if they wanted to) and become synonymous with that brigade 

Currently live today you do not have to go back and change your persona. Just right click on a town and select "Join Brigade" and then select whatever brigade you want to hop into. This list will be expanded to include Garrisons with 1.36.

 

The rest of what you suggest represents a major change in how supply is handled that is not feasible at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HATCH said:

Anyway, that is how the HC's were intended to operate when their original Orbats were designed and laid out before the web/game integration dev support got indefinitely sidelined, the vision was lost, and game development started trying copy everyone else (closing down the map and funnel everyone into small AO areas) rather than finishing the vision of what we originally intended. S!
 

 

Music to my ears hatch! Think it may be time to dust off the Campaign 100 mass email list I have.

S!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aismov said:

Music to my ears hatch! Think it may be time to dust off the Campaign 100 mass email list I have.

S!

@HATCHand I share a very similar vision of what the High Command is intended to be, serving the player base interests and force multiplying their efforts directly. We want to promote organic growth of natural leadership and reset expectations on HC's workflow and purpose, back to its original intended purpose which we have so distantly drifted from unfortunately.

1.36 brings with it substantially more than just the Hybrid System, this is one of the other major deliverables that perhaps has not yet received enough attention.

17 hours ago, themouse said:

Change the UI  so the individual squad can be associated  with a particular brigade!   and not were they spawn in!   make the  town supply generic ....  x amount of tier 0,1,2,3,4 stuff  so  squads can identify  a specific  unit other than have change  from brit/french/american...Italian/German  depending on where they spawn   

As it pertains to Squads being associated with High Command, the Community Management team and I are working on some ways to reintroduce Squads back into the HC picture on a more appropriate basis, which includes making their Squad name VISIBLE on the UI with the Brigade(s). These Squads will need to meet certain standards of course, such as minimum number of active squad members, a minimum number of those squad members acting as active High Command officers, and so on.

This is the best we can do at present to re-engage Squad with HC and giving them a higher sense of ownership and prestige, whilst still being part of the overall command structure (team) of your side. So for example, they'd have 1 Brigade as part of a Division. If this becomes a popular thing, we may start to see more Brigades introduced based on Squads building up and around it.

The need for Squads to get organized and very serious about building themselves up is growing and you'll be rewarded for doing so. CRS wants WWII Online to have bigger healthier squads with solid leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chaoswzkd said:

Currently live today you do not have to go back and change your persona. Just right click on a town and select "Join Brigade" and then select whatever brigade you want to hop into. This list will be expanded to include Garrisons with 1.36.

 

The rest of what you suggest represents a major change in how supply is handled that is not feasible at this time.

 

20 hours ago, Chaoswzkd said:

Currently live today you do not have to go back and change your persona. Just right click on a town and select "Join Brigade" and then select whatever brigade you want to hop into. This list will be expanded to include Garrisons with 1.36.

 

The rest of what you suggest represents a major change in how supply is handled that is not feasible at this time.

I know how to use the ui...even though its chunky...thats not the point....my point is..as simply as i can put it....IF i decide I want to role play a campaign as a member of 3 commando.....currently I can't  because it may not be active  it could be sitting in A rear town,   or not at an active AO I may not even be able to role play being in the british army...as the same may apply sometimes the only option to fight is french or american because of brigade placement in the current system..IT misses that draw to the game were people could  role play a particular persona. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, themouse said:

 

I know how to use the ui...even though its chunky...thats not the point....my point is..as simply as i can put it....IF i decide I want to role play a campaign as a member of 3 commando.....currently I can't  because it may not be active  it could be sitting in A rear town,   or not at an active AO I may not even be able to role play being in the british army...as the same may apply sometimes the only option to fight is french or american because of brigade placement in the current system..IT misses that draw to the game were people could  role play a particular persona. 

While it might miss the mark in terms of roleplaying ability, there were few truly joint battles in WW2. There were a lot of joint operations of course, but different militaries had different operational areas for a given joint operation. The British and Canadians were a part of Overlord, but did not land at Utah, Omaha, or Pointe du Hoc, nor did the Americans glide into Pegasus Bridge.

Having a mixed Allied roster would probably be a headache for balance, and would have to have less supply for a given country than any dedicated flag, so that roleplaying ability would go out the door much faster once supply was run down.

Making it truly generic (spawn "rifleman", and depending on your persona you get a specific country's rifleman) is also an issue because there is no UK or FR automatic rifleman, no US LMG, no UK equivalent to the M10 or S76, no US/FR equivalent to the CS tanks or Churchills, etc. At this time, anyway. It might be possible once each side has mirrored supply, but that may not be fully possible given CRS doesn't want to introduce fantasy/blueprint-only weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chaoswzkd said:

While it might miss the mark in terms of roleplaying ability, there were few truly joint battles in WW2. There were a lot of joint operations of course, but different militaries had different operational areas for a given joint operation. The British and Canadians were a part of Overlord, but did not land at Utah, Omaha, or Pointe du Hoc, nor did the Americans glide into Pegasus Bridge.

Having a mixed Allied roster would probably be a headache for balance, and would have to have less supply for a given country than any dedicated flag, so that roleplaying ability would go out the door much faster once supply was run down.

Making it truly generic (spawn "rifleman", and depending on your persona you get a specific country's rifleman) is also an issue because there is no UK or FR automatic rifleman, no US LMG, no UK equivalent to the M10 or S76, no US/FR equivalent to the CS tanks or Churchills, etc. At this time, anyway. It might be possible once each side has mirrored supply, but that may not be fully possible given CRS doesn't want to introduce fantasy/blueprint-only weapons.

In  WWIIOL  the are many times that  brigades from more than one country end up  in the same town as is, In fact my last two kills on the sever was a German followed by an Italian in quick succession.  there placement is more often than not based Just on supply rather than any historic operational reason. point of fact a few maps back..there were ONLY French brigades Defending the UK . you actually  couldn't spawn in the British army on British soil lol.   

 I do remember the OLD days though ...when the Brits were placed north and the french were based south and neither,  there were actually people, quite a few, who would refuse to fight down south..or up north  because they only wanted to play British or French.  just ask some of the older players at times it was quite a problem.  but it dose show there is  a draw to persona role-playing 

For instance I'm sure If say the 250 squad and some other Spanish players would love to be able to play in a 250. Infanterie-Division  But there would be little point if  it was always in the rear with the gear. or some Overly anal retentive person decided  it fought on the Russian  and therefor it wasn't historical  accurate and  didn't get in at all. but what a draw  if you could spawn in it anywere you were playing..

As for the equipment in generic brigades all you have to do is rank equipment there dosn't have to be an exact match take the LMG   you lump the BAR in that section  you  lob the Churchill 7 in as a heavy tank same as the s76 . with it may  take some tweaking  but its  not insurmountable issue

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by themouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:03 AM, themouse said:

 

I know how to use the ui...even though its chunky...thats not the point....my point is..as simply as i can put it....IF i decide I want to role play a campaign as a member of 3 commando.....currently I can't  because it may not be active  it could be sitting in A rear town,   or not at an active AO I may not even be able to role play being in the british army...as the same may apply sometimes the only option to fight is french or american because of brigade placement in the current system..IT misses that draw to the game were people could  role play a particular persona. 

Regiment Official divisional names where introduced with TO&E.

Back in the day flags had no distinction as to a division.  The AOs where occupied by Squads.  The Anzacs for instances IIRC held the N from Wilhelm to Antwerp. The 23rd Pz that became the 23rd Armored on the allied side held the S. S central area. They where assigned those areas for defensive responsibilities.. IE Namur comes under attack and the 23rd where supposed to be the squads obligation to be the first defenders spawning in.  That way other squads to attack without moving over to defense etc... unless a 911 was alerted by HC. 

Anyway the point being is that the AO and brigade names came from the squads - There was a squad called the 3rd PZ and a squad called the 27th ID. The 23rd Armored as just a part of 3rd Corps. We had an Airwing, a infantry division, and flak corp, spec ops team, and later a parachute regiment.  Yes the 23rd armored had about 175 active members at its height on the Allied side. The 23rd has ONE hold out to preserve the name - Dirbs is the only 23rd squad member today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 11:24 PM, HATCH said:

First we have to get the Garrisons in so that groups of players are not dependent on HC's to be able to fight where they need/want to. That IS 1.36. There will still be a Division/HQ or two on each side that operate as they do now to supplement the Garrisons and give the HC's as they are now something to do.

The opening up of the map this way will hopefully ease frustrations enough where groups of folks can overstock Garrisons and attack like they used to back before everything became dependent on flags and 24/7 HC support. Hopefully this will start squads and impromptu groups that organically become squads themselves while playing together growing again, and promote the natural battlefield commanders/squad leaders to become active again, obviously apparent, and supported by the rest of the player base just like they did back when the map was open before the Flag/TOE system.

At that point, it is my hope that we can rebuild the HC Orbat much like it was in the beginning of the original AHC and GHC with web based HC level administration by the players themselves (those squads and their leaders I mentioned above), but this time around, integrate the positions in the web based Orbats properly with in game flag movement controls for the Division/HQ/AO's. This would allow those groups/squads and those natural leaders that are organically forming using the Garrisons, the option to attach themselves to the Brigades in the movable Division/HQ/AO groups naturally and organically becoming the HC and filling its Bde/Div/Corp/Army level positions themselves by promoting the leaders of their choice up the ranks. Squads choosing their leaders. Squad leaders choosing their Bde CO's (who choose to fill in their XO's to operate in their absence, same for each CO position up the ladder). Bde CO's choosing their Div CO's, Div CO's choosing their Corp CO's, and so on and so on all the way to CinC.

That's the main "bones" of what I would like to see the as the new integrated HC "system". The main points being that the rank/control/operation level positions are administrated in real time by the players themselves through web based and in game user interfaces, and operational control of the individual Bde and the Div/HQ/AO groups they make up remains in the control of the player (squad) promoted leaders on the ground (who should be) coordinating with the other Div/HQ/AO groups (as they are activated by re-population/expansion) through the orders/guidance of the Corps and Army positions above that they have populated themselves. With a properly designed nomination/vote/selection (and "battlefield promotion" fallback) system for each level, and appropriate in game UI controls for Flag movement operations and communications, the players operate the HC's and its in game resources with minimal involvement from CRS making it so that there is no more of this "us/them" as their HC leaders are promoted from among st themselves, by themselves.

Anyway, that is how the HC's were intended to operate when their original Orbats were designed and laid out before the web/game integration dev support got indefinitely sidelined, the vision was lost, and game development started trying copy everyone else (closing down the map and funnel everyone into small AO areas) rather than finishing the vision of what we originally intended. S!


     
 

Whie I agree that org tools are what has been missing all along and we had extensive discussions with Rats 1.0 on this point, I fail to see how tying squads to brigades, whether moveable or not, is going to be conducive to good play.

 

Yes you will get the 'our town' 'our brigade' loyalty and comradeship thing going, but it will be tied to whatever location that is and if you undo AOs then it becomes a matter of which squad night is on and either people stay with their unit and let the whole front collapse (but their brigade is okay up to the point it's defending their factories, yaay us) or people have to go to where the enemy squad night is, forego their operations for their squads on their brigades, and for TZs that are perennially underpop for their side the overpop side will get the 'our brigade' org/pop bonus and the underdogs won't.

 

If you go EWS AO then the overpop side will be able to open up several AOs to the underpop side's some or none.

 

Promoting from squad leadership into HC functionality and coding it, PROPERLY, was ALWAYS the move, so I'm happy to read this, but NOT happy to read of a wide open map when you don't have the density to populate it- you risk the content devolving into the classic 'opel rushes' or OJ Pearl Harbors, not hard battles that garrison supply promises.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 11:41 AM, stankyus said:

Regiment Official divisional names where introduced with TO&E.

Back in the day flags had no distinction as to a division.  The AOs where occupied by Squads.  The Anzacs for instances IIRC held the N from Wilhelm to Antwerp. The 23rd Pz that became the 23rd Armored on the allied side held the S. S central area. They where assigned those areas for defensive responsibilities.. IE Namur comes under attack and the 23rd where supposed to be the squads obligation to be the first defenders spawning in.  That way other squads to attack without moving over to defense etc... unless a 911 was alerted by HC. 

Anyway the point being is that the AO and brigade names came from the squads - There was a squad called the 3rd PZ and a squad called the 27th ID. The 23rd Armored as just a part of 3rd Corps. We had an Airwing, a infantry division, and flak corp, spec ops team, and later a parachute regiment.  Yes the 23rd armored had about 175 active members at its height on the Allied side. The 23rd has ONE hold out to preserve the name - Dirbs is the only 23rd squad member today.

 

I think it's important to note for people not around then that AO as you are using the term referred to Areas of Operation that were assigned/agreed to by squads to be responsible/active for as opposed to the coded AO today that indicates what towns can be captured/must be defended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kilemall said:

I think it's important to note for people not around then that AO as you are using the term referred to Areas of Operation that were assigned/agreed to by squads to be responsible/active for as opposed to the coded AO today that indicates what towns can be captured/must be defended.

Good point, I should have made that clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kilemall said:

If you go EWS AO then the overpop side will be able to open up several AOs to the underpop side's some or none.

No, you could still use population balance as a controlling mechanism.
There would still need to be some control, or as you say, you could have this 4 to 1 imbalance of objectives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

No, you could still use population balance as a controlling mechanism.
There would still need to be some control, or as you say, you could have this 4 to 1 imbalance of objectives.

But but but then THE MAN is cramping someone's style!  There are limited resources!  Squad fun may be curtailed cause they can't go when and where they please RIGHT NOW.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand and am sympathetic to the plight of the squad leader trying to manage desired content fun for his guys within a very strict time window of squad night, and there is NO question that AOs runs right up against that goal.  The iron law of AOs as presently constituted is a miserable experience for HCs and SLs under the best of circumstances with both cooperating fully, much less if one or both are being hissy jerks. 

 

That's another aspect of the NAO proposal with NAO on for a minimum two hours- still puts towns on notice re: defense but limits their number, doesn't kill attacks or defenses based on 1-3 FBs or FMS, density drops enough to get FMS setup but not so much that a town is gone or can't be recovered when the Horde moves on, squads know they can have at least an hour or two to setup what they want to do without being 'under the gun' or have the AO cut out due to pop change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kilemall said:

But but but then THE MAN is cramping someone's style!  There are limited resources!  Squad fun may be curtailed cause they can't go when and where they please RIGHT NOW.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand and am sympathetic to the plight of the squad leader trying to manage desired content fun for his guys within a very strict time window of squad night, and there is NO question that AOs runs right up against that goal.  The iron law of AOs as presently constituted is a miserable experience for HCs and SLs under the best of circumstances with both cooperating fully, much less if one or both are being hissy jerks. 

 

That's another aspect of the NAO proposal with NAO on for a minimum two hours- still puts towns on notice re: defense but limits their number, doesn't kill attacks or defenses based on 1-3 FBs or FMS, density drops enough to get FMS setup but not so much that a town is gone or can't be recovered when the Horde moves on, squads know they can have at least an hour or two to setup what they want to do without being 'under the gun' or have the AO cut out due to pop change.

 

Not sure how to read this, I think the issue of having a huge squad robbing the AO from a lesser squad. I see the potential. 

I don't think I read your NAO proposal.

So just off of what you said that I can decifer.

A squad or players set off the pop limit to activate the AO, the AO has a safety of two hours so another larger squad cannot take the AO away as long as EWS is active?

However after 2 hours of EWS on a AO, if the larger squad wants to reset the AO they are free do use their population advantage to steal the AO?

If so, I see great merit in that.  However, I think there should be a scaled approach. MB its percentage.. but if a squad has fir instance a  larger pop on than the other but its something like 90 to 100 ppl.. a 10% difference, then a base line must be in place. I think 2 hours is a good starting point, but after a two hour battle sometimes inroads are just beginning to happen.

I think, it should be 2 hours after first cap or last cap plus 10% time before the "larger squad" should be able to rob the AO. Gives more insentive for the larger squad to help out and finish the deal to get on with their business.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kilemall said:

But but but then THE MAN is cramping someone's style!  There are limited resources!  Squad fun may be curtailed cause they can't go when and where they please RIGHT NOW.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand and am sympathetic to the plight of the squad leader trying to manage desired content fun for his guys within a very strict time window of squad night, and there is NO question that AOs runs right up against that goal.  The iron law of AOs as presently constituted is a miserable experience for HCs and SLs under the best of circumstances with both cooperating fully, much less if one or both are being hissy jerks.

 

I understand the point of imbalance and it is a very important thing to consider. But nobody in their right mind is going to put an ounce of effort in to organize squad ops if there is a reasonable risk that you put in all the work and have no way of actually attacking the town. Its not just a miserable experience for squad leaders, it directly lead to the death of squads. Far more than TOE/Brigades ever did. There are negative consequences of every game mechanic and other mechanisms will need to be in place to smooth out the unintended issues. And we will have to accept new-negatives just as we live with the current negatives in the HC/AO dominated game space. We need to pick our poison.

In my view the fundamental incompatibility is between squad play and the AO mechanism. One simply cannot exist with the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, aismov said:

In my view the fundamental incompatibility is between squad play and the AO mechanism. One simply cannot exist with the other.

Not an unreasonable perspective.  But again, bigass map, too few players to populate the whole thing, need little density to have at least some maneuver to establish variable attack, need higher density later to have an actual battle that doesn't look like 5 guys in a town, entirely open a 25 to 10 TZ3 setup means likely 2-5 towns going down at once and underpop desperately defending, no attacks.

 

Gotta have realistic chances for underpop to attack, hence all my focus on Pop Neutrality.  Once PN is 'right' (and it's not quite right yet, with 1.36 they may have to jigger it a little more) then maybe you can relax the AO strait jacket some or make your timers faster or do things to make attack easier (and I don't mean OJ Pearl Harbor easier, I mean fight easier and doable for underpop).

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 5:43 PM, stankyus said:

Not sure how to read this, I think the issue of having a huge squad robbing the AO from a lesser squad. I see the potential.

I had not thought really in those terms, that would be effectively 'pop bidding'.  I was thinking more in terms of fastest squad to target steals from slower, so you could have a 15-man unit grab the last AO from possibly a 60-man squad and leave the 60-man force high and dry until something else lets go.  In either event I would expect a LOT of precamping as a squad hovers over its target until 'their' turn at an AO comes up.  Defenders then have the prospect of defending a town before an AO sets, possibly killing the attack before the AO even comes but also possibly having an autowin camping attack- neither really gets you the content I expect the Rats want.  Underpop would be 'on the rack' of eternal defense even worse then before.

 

Quote

I don't think I read your NAO proposal.

So just off of what you said that I can decifer.

A squad or players set off the pop limit to activate the AO, the AO has a safety of two hours so another larger squad cannot take the AO away as long as EWS is active?

However after 2 hours of EWS on a AO, if the larger squad wants to reset the AO they are free do use their population advantage to steal the AO?

If so, I see great merit in that.  However, I think there should be a scaled approach. MB its percentage.. but if a squad has fir instance a  larger pop on than the other but its something like 90 to 100 ppl.. a 10% difference, then a base line must be in place. I think 2 hours is a good starting point, but after a two hour battle sometimes inroads are just beginning to happen.

I think, it should be 2 hours after first cap or last cap plus 10% time before the "larger squad" should be able to rob the AO. Gives more insentive for the larger squad to help out and finish the deal to get on with their business.

Er, I had not adjusted the proposal to an EWS AO system, which I find distasteful for several reasons.  Needs to be adjusted for hybrid supply a bit. Boy an EWS NAO, I dunno- first squad to first target sets battles for whole side for 2-3 hours?

I definitely don't like the idea of larger groups pulling the AO short of the minimum 2-3 hours.  That's no bueno, undoes a major point of doing this, to allow groups or individuals large or small to get into immersive regional battle, not the classic race to cap, and right back to the HC 'pull the AO cause the FMS got killed' we got now.

Shouldn't be an issue, remember each side would get 1 NAO which puts the attackers' towns at risk too, so if you don't like your side's NAO you can turn the other side's NAO into an attack too.

 

I reupped the thread in Barracks so you can read it there.

Edited by Kilemall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding a totally open AO-less front, which no mechanism for focus action
i would like to offer this pictorial reason (which was for another purpose, but it shall do)

FfaqNJg.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ScouseMouse, the thing to do IMO is Task Forces, whether squad, long standing brigade/divisional association, or adhoc grouping formed up by a leader.

 

Decouple from the brigade AND town paradigm, and organize on the AO/DO principle with multiple spawn sources.  The key is the channel and a certain place for the player new or committed to go that are certain action orgs players can go to.

 

My model for this was the 110th brigade, a multi-squad org that was absolutely killer, because for a time brigade/mission channels were mapwide, people would just know to sign on and get self-organized, dominating a region. Channels changed, hissy fits ensued, and it was never the same, which sunk in to me the lesson of the power of the channel.

 

An earlier example was of course Channel 94 or the 94th.  I've read about similar divisional orgs on the Axis side built on the same principle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.