• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
caydel

For the first time in years, the game works flawlessly in Linux!

19 posts in this topic

So, I've been a player since late 2007, and for most of this time, Linux has been my primary desktop. From 2008-2011 or so, it was possible to make WWIIOL run on Linux using a package called Wine which simulated a Windows environment. However, since mid-2012(?), there have been a variety of problems that have prevented the game from running.

Until now!

Valve has been working on a version of Wine for Steam that they call Proton, with the goal of getting as many Steam titles as possible playable on Linux transparently. Ie, they just work. This is part of their 'Steam Play' initiative to make most titles completely cross platform.

I tested WWIIOL via Steam, and it worked perfectly. I played for nearly an hour - long enough to realise how out of practice I am after all these years. 

I've submitted a report to ProtonDB to give WWIIOL a 'Platinum' rating (https://www.protondb.com/app/251950). It won't show until the next content refresh (hopefully tomorrow).

I'd encourage more people to try it, if you have a Linux machine.

As for the non-Steam version, it currently won't connect to the Auth server from the login screen. Offline play works perfectly... I'd love to get the standalone copy running so I can play with my 'Caydel' account instead of the new one I made for Steam.

Sounds good I''ll try it out on SuSe, haven't played game since some of the recent updates on Linux looks like a good time to do some testing. At one time long ago i had it running without Wine or any other program.

Thanks

S!

Edited by flong139

8 hours ago, caydel said:

As for the non-Steam version, it currently won't connect to the Auth server from the login screen. Offline play works perfectly... I'd love to get the standalone copy running so I can play with my 'Caydel' account instead of the new one I made for Steam.

The auth part has to do with playgate.exe
But at the moment, i do not have a good suggestion for getting it to understand the networking in wine.
Steam does not use playgate.

I think the eventual idea is for the organic version not to need it anymore either

11 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

The auth part has to do with playgate.exe
But at the moment, i do not have a good suggestion for getting it to understand the networking in wine.
Steam does not use playgate.

I think the eventual idea is for the organic version not to need it anymore either

Yeah, unfortunately the log output doesn't give anything useful. I've tried to figure out what's going on with Playgate, but no luck.

I created a Wine bug report for it with packet traces and terminal logs: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43671

55 minutes ago, caydel said:

Actually, looks like it works in Wine 3.21 if you install vcrun2015!

da faq*?
That solves the "Hi my name is playgate, and i cant seem to find the network" part ?
strange

Cool, but strange...

Yeah, the Playgate issue was a blocker for years. Suddenly it works... who am I to complain?

Ok, it's not quite flawless - using Steam's Proton, all the positional audio is reversed. Using vanilla wine, the positional audio just doesn't work at all - all sounds play on both channels at full volume.

8 minutes ago, caydel said:

Ok, it's not quite flawless - using Steam's Proton, all the positional audio is reversed. Using vanilla wine, the positional audio just doesn't work at all - all sounds play on both channels at full volume.

I am assuming this is with DX9.0c installed on both?
Under proton, can you reverse the audio channels, or out in linux/steamOS itself

Well, there's ways you can configure PulseAudio to reverse channels, but that's system wide which makes everything else backwards. 

As far as I know, Wine / Proton don't have any way to reverse channels just for one app.

Edit: For years, the positional audio worked. And clearly one of the Proton changes makes it 'almost' work. I wonder what proton changed in the sound area?

Edited by caydel

Well, when you are playing the game, i would kind of guess that no other positional audio would be of importance?
Discord does not do 3d voice positioning so...

Question i guess is how hard to flip the audio and flip it back?
Could it be done in a launch game script?

YES!!! YES!!! Go Linux  GO Linux..... WW2OL is the unique reason I keep a Windows copy on my system....

Now Microsoft can go to....... 

5 hours ago, kase250 said:

YES!!! YES!!! Go Linux  GO Linux..... WW2OL is the unique reason I keep a Windows copy on my system....

Now Microsoft can go to....... 

Lol, nice to see the enthusiasm!

I'm not sure if you use Lutris at all, but it's basically a managed gaming platform for Linux that lets people write installers for games. The Wine support is useful as the requirements and tweaks for different games might be incompatible with eachother - this lets you have different environments per game. Anyways, I've written an Lutris installer for the standalone (ie., non-Steam) version that could use some testing: https://lutris.net/games/world-war-ii-online/

Steps:

17 minutes ago, caydel said:

Lol, nice to see the enthusiasm!

I'm not sure if you use Lutris at all, but it's basically a managed gaming platform for Linux that lets people write installers for games. The Wine support is useful as the requirements and tweaks for different games might be incompatible with eachother - this lets you have different environments per game. Anyways, I've written an Lutris installer for the standalone (ie., non-Steam) version that could use some testing: https://lutris.net/games/world-war-ii-online/

Steps:

TYVM!

Honestly I dont have enough time to play right now but i will try it for sure on my Arch Linux!

S!

PS: I have too many hopes with Proton platform.....We will see!

1 hour ago, ian77 said:

It might run great with Wine, but my preference, and it has worked for some 40 years now, is beer.

S! Ian

LoL