• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
hillstorm

Intermission until Tuesday?

51 posts in this topic

Agree, we don't need a 'breather' to play a game......  That makes no sense.

The game is the breather.

Intermission sucks plain and simple, sorry to say, but it does.

At least plan an event or cut capture times to 1 min - try and make intermission worthwhile if we are forced to play it.

Complete waste of my subscription dollars - I'd like 5 days credited to my account.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, delems said:

Agree, we don't need a 'breather' to play a game......  That makes no sense.

The game is the breather.

Intermission sucks plain and simple, sorry to say, but it does.

At least plan an event or cut capture times to 1 min - try and make intermission worthwhile if we are forced to play it.

Complete waste of my subscription dollars - I'd like 5 days credited to my account.

Among other things, there were some host upgrades.
Which, as is the case with software, experienced some issues.
Which prevented part of the population from logging in.

You would like to do that in mid campaign?
I don't think that would be a good idea.

Actually, yes, I'd far rather be in campaign mode and suffer crashes.... than have a perfect 5 days of wasted intermission.

Edited by delems
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, hillstorm said:

So here we are, Saturday night. No campaign, and really a bummer to me that there won't be a new one until Tuesday. Just being honest. This is when I practice a little bit with different weapons and such; but ultimately, it's when I also go and play other games. That can't be a great thing (if other players are of the same mindset as me).

I hope with some of the changes, things will be adjusted so that HC isn't overworked or whatever and we don't need a 5/6 day "breather." Because the way this game is set up, it's only natural that many of us think of campaign as "game time" and intermission as, well, just practice. Not the real deal. That's just the dynamic of the game. 

For the side that just rolled the other, I understand why you may think an additional few days is un-necessary and potentially wasteful. However I'd rather see a quality campaign with both sides recuperated well enough to have a successful launch and an awesome Campaign.

We will be starting the next Campaign this Tuesday, the more prepared side will have the better launch and the likely victory. May both sides be working hard now to rally up Squads and Officers with an awesome battle plan to see that through.

9 minutes ago, delems said:

Actually, yes, I'd far rather be in campaign mode and suffer crashes.... than have a perfect 5 days of wasted intermission.

Sorry you feel that way, but we're going to start this Tuesday as planned. Meanwhile our live servers have received the latest operating system upgrades and more work is being done, whilst giving the HC and sides time to prepare for a great launch. This is a win all around. 

3 hours ago, delems said:

But you dont speak for everyone.
A bunch of people are telling me something fun is going on at area 51, and apparently i missed some fun battle at st pol.

delems enough dude get over it you sound like a baby man. just cause you want something and get on here and whine about it doesn't make it happen it makes you look like an [censored] lol relax game is still playable and people are still playing so whats the problem?? You need to have the satisfaction that your winning ??

3 people like this

On 12/1/2018 at 7:54 PM, XOOM said:

For the side that just rolled the other, I understand why you may think an additional few days is un-necessary and potentially wasteful. However I'd rather see a quality campaign with both sides recuperated well enough to have a successful launch and an awesome Campaign.

Thank you for your reply, XOOM. The one thing I do want to mention is that I've certainly been on the other side of getting rolled - we all have. And I felt the same way as I do now. In fact I was eager to get the new camp started to change the script, so to speak. With that said, I will note that I don't play as much as a lot of others here, I'm not HC, and I don't do a lot of the logistics/behind-the-scenes stuff some of the longtime vets do. So if there really is some burnout and a need to recoup, I'll try to respect that. 

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, malvoc said:

delems enough dude get over it you sound like a baby man. just cause you want something and get on here and whine about it doesn't make it happen it makes you look like an [censored] lol relax game is still playable and people are still playing so whats the problem?? You need to have the satisfaction that your winning ??

I won't speak for delems, but to me it's not necessarily about winning or losing. It's about playing within the structure that the campaign provides - most notably with supply. There isn't "endless" anything, you can't just spawn Tiger after Tiger or goof around with weapons just because. Don't get me wrong, I love goofing around sometimes. SO I've never been against intermission altogether, just hate it when it's extended like this. I wonder if a concept of "mini campaigns" might be cool, with limited objectives, designed to last a few days or a week - but with supply restrictions similar to campaign.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I'm over it (for now :P)

For what it's worth, my favorite part of a campaign is the beginning - when both sides are still even strength, nobody is really winning, the sides are just beginning to shift, maybe back and forth a bit. Tier one. Love it. 

Edited by hillstorm
2 people like this

I did not get to log in, but someone tagged me on steam
and had some intermission screen shots of st pol and such.

There were some tigers, and there were some S76 and M10s
But there was a large number of M4A2 and stuarts and PZIII and PZIV, even saw some pzIIs and vickers
and people with bolt rifles.

So people were mixing it up and using all kinds of gear, at least in those areas

On 11/30/2018 at 5:22 PM, Elfin said:

The snow "glare" was hard on my eyes, but some suggested using sunglasses and that seemed to help.

As long as it wasn't for too long, or perhaps make the snow a bit more grey (?).

S!

Shouldn't have to wear sunglasses to play the game. Certainly not going to go buy sunglasses to play. More important fixes than implementing snow or mitigating the impact of the snow on the eyes. The snow is good for about 5 minutes. If that.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:57 AM, XOOM said:

Both sides are spending this time to recover and reorganize in preparation for an outstanding Campaign launch upcoming. That's what we need. Last Campaign was about 2 months and it was pretty brutal so, a little recovery time is needed. S! 

Fair enough, so will us subscribers get credited an extra 5 or 6 days on our subscriptions? Because I didn't resubscribe after a 6 year break, a couple weeks ago, just to miss out on a whole week of play... Your answer will be telling....

18 bucks for a month of play ain't cheap. So I personally expect my service to be in full swing for that 30 days. Not missing a week. If my phones service took a week break, best believe I would find another service. Just my opinion of course....

21 hours ago, malvoc said:

Why are you personally attacking him? He has an opinion. And some of us agree with his opinion. That hardly makes us "whiney" or a "baby".  Maybe if he complained about complainers like yourself, then he'd be ok in your book? Grow up. 18 bucks a month for 4 weeks of subscription. One of those weeks we are not getting what we payed for. No matter how you slice it, you won't change my opinion on how to feel about it. It's pretty bull[censored]. At least from my POV.

Edit: apologies for the double post.. I could have swore someone replied after me..... I don't see a way to combine or delete this post and copy it unto the last, so again, I am sorry for that.

Edited by degolocc
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, degolocc said:

Why are you personally attacking him? He has an opinion. And some of us agree with his opinion. That hardly makes us "whiney" or a "baby".  Maybe if he complained about complainers like yourself, then he'd be ok in your book? Grow up. 18 bucks a month for 4 weeks of subscription. One of those weeks we are not getting what we payed for. No matter how you slice it, you won't change my opinion on how to feel about it. It's pretty bull[censored]. At least from my POV.

Edit: apologies for the double post.. I could have swore someone replied after me..... I don't see a way to combine or delete this post and copy it until the last, so again, I am sorry for that.

Theoretically intermission is like campaign  , people still try to blow FBs, recap spawns ( which I never understand cause that is what gets us the action and it's intermission so loosing a town is not tragic but it's a good practice ground)  only difference I would say the supply is unlimited and loosing a unit is not as tragic as in Campaign mode.

Saying you loose 5 days is a bit silly , unless you log in every day during campaign mode then yes I get it, but there are times where I don't have the time and it can be 5 days that go by before I can log in again during campaign mode and I don't want a refund , it's just part of the game.

Yes 5 days is a bit long but one can try new things without feeling guilty of loosing valuable equipment.  Equipment you usually don't use to get a little practice is not a bad thing.

What I would like to see is  Vlissingen and Breskens both have Fairmile ports with Knokke be Allied Air , Vlissingen Axis air  , let the Air and Fairmile war begin.  And somewhere on the map like Roermond or 2 towns close to each other let the ground pounders go at each other. 

Edited by dre21

11 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Theoretically intermission is like campaign  , people still try to blow FBs, recap spawns ( which I never understand cause that is what gets us the action and it's intermission so loosing a town is not tragic but it's a good practice ground) 

Its an unwritten rule, that perhaps should be written (or coded), that one does not blow FBs during intermission. Used to be that one didn't fully cap towns to bounce brigades (via bunker cap) either during intermission. 

44 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Theoretically intermission is like campaign  , people still try to blow FBs, recap spawns ( which I never understand cause that is what gets us the action and it's intermission so loosing a town is not tragic but it's a good practice ground)  only difference I would say the supply is unlimited and loosing a unit is not as tragic as in Campaign mode.

Saying you loose 5 days is a bit silly , unless you log in every day during campaign mode then yes I get it, but there are times where I don't have the time and it can be 5 days that go by before I can log in again during campaign mode and I don't want a refund , it's just part of the game.

Yes 5 days is a bit long but one can try new things without feeling guilty of loosing valuable equipment.  Equipment you usually don't use to get a little practice is not a bad thing.

What I would like to see is  Vlissingen and Breskens both have Fairmile ports with Knokke be Allied Air , Vlissingen Axis air  , let the Air and Fairmile war begin.  And somewhere on the map like Roermond or 2 towns close to each other let the ground pounders go at each other. 

Well you choosing to not play for 5 days is a bit different then being told you can't play the campaign for 5 days. That was my point. Sure, I can test things out. Hell I can play for free on the test server. But that isn't what I pay for. 5 or 6 days is about a quarter of our subscription time per month. Far too long to have a downtime for a paid game. Should be down for 2 days at the most, and NEVER on a weekend, IMO. 

Obviously, we don't make the rules, but as a paying customer we are entitled to voice our disagreement. 

Edited by degolocc
1 person likes this

As far as I am aware CRS is not required to have the campaign game ready and available for you at any time you like. Asking for a 5-day refund due to intermission is completely silly. It is along the same lines as asking for a refund when a Tiger or Spitfire is not supply (as I swear I've seen people complain). WW2OL has limited supply, its a wargame with simulation elements, and you can't have everything you want at all times. I would wager that the vast majority of players understand that and that it makes up a good part of the reason they play WW2OL in the first place. Getting upset over an intermission isn't much difference, it is just the reset time that they decided. Personally, I don't bother with intermission and just do something else. Take a break, go for a hike, play any one of the many good other wargames out there if you like (ARMA, PS, IL-2 BOX, the list goes on) and come back to WW2OL ready for a new campaign with a positive attitude. 

Continuing with that positive note, I came back to WW2OL this summer due to special events like the Battle of Lille event with its limited supply and objectives. I think the idea of mini-campaigns/special events with special rule sets (like limited supply and historical setups) are great and need to keep going. If it is too much work even just a very limited area and tier to simulate a battle/mini-campaign is also good because it gives players something to do. Keep track of the wins/losses and get players into them. And if not, intermission is always a good testing ground.

S!

1 person likes this

Call me crazy but.......take the time to get your xmas shopping or whatever holiday to celebrate in order, or other things that need tending to.  I get the extended intermission is longer than usual but its not the end of the world and who knows........maybe something special is in the works ;)

4 people like this

3 hours ago, degolocc said:

Well you choosing to not play for 5 days is a bit different then being told you can't play the campaign for 5 days. That was my point. Sure, I can test things out. Hell I can play for free on the test server. But that isn't what I pay for. 5 or 6 days is about a quarter of our subscription time per month. Far too long to have a downtime for a paid game. Should be down for 2 days at the most, and NEVER on a weekend, IMO. 

Obviously, we don't make the rules, but as a paying customer we are entitled to voice our disagreement. 

I don't get the point, as not everyone is fighting for a campaign (territory control simulation) but just want to enjoy equipment simulation. They get free access to unlimited supplies. Consider it as being another game mode.

Furthermore it allows reservists to get a taste of what they could play with with a premium account. So you get more people onboarded the next campaign , hence meaning more fun :) it's an opportunity to catch more younger players that at less during the week

The only issue is the lack of in-game events 

I am not a big fan of intermissions of several days and particularly when they are over a weekend and I also like playing when there is something "at stake", if you know what i mean.

HOWEVER!

I actually took some time away for a few days and when I did log in on Saturday, I was treated to a hilarious and fun few hours battling it out in AREA 51. That was a lot of fun even though some of those in AREA 51 should understand that you just shouldn't strafe the enemy air as it is lifting but allow an actual air battle to happen. Still, aside from that.....

I was on comm's with HyoSlvr and Ianstein and we had a blast flying, then I rolled out some AAA to shoot down those "no good" allied "cheaters" with Hyo and Ianstein as "bait". I think I improved slightly with the AAA...though I remain a newb with it, really.

:)

While I am a favourite allied target while in the air, I decided I would get on and try improve my flying (which ranges from very pitiful to pitiful) and people on channel, particularly Hyo, helped me out and it was a good and fun use of my time.

For this intermission I am fine with how it has played out. 

Battle will be on soon enough !

S! 

2 people like this

I agree, Elfin.  I dislike intermissions and much prefer to play when the map is 'at stake'.  Having said that, during this intermission I decided to get to know weapon systems that I normally don't use (i.e. non-Infantry weapons), and thus (I believe) have become a better player/more useful to my team, and have had a blast (literally) putting tank rounds on Tigers, etc.

Am looking forward to Tuesday, though...

S!

2 people like this

Also during intermission we unlock all the units for play for everyone to try.  There are new players that do not have the use of them all and this gives them a taste of the fun to come yet. 

4 hours ago, augetout said:

I agree, Elfin.  I dislike intermissions and much prefer to play when the map is 'at stake'.  Having said that, during this intermission I decided to get to know weapon systems that I normally don't use (i.e. non-Infantry weapons), and thus (I believe) have become a better player/more useful to my team, and have had a blast (literally) putting tank rounds on Tigers, etc.

Am looking forward to Tuesday, though...

S!

Well I have to admit, when work has been particularly challenging then "losing myself" in the actual regular game with the map at stake is  typically attractive and being in intermission is disappointing. However, I was in a bit of breather this last week, one of my kids had Volley Ball tryouts so I took time to teach her a proper jump serve and that took up enough time. Then there was sorting out the seasonal finery for the holiday celebrations etc....and other stuff...so I was busy. But Area 51 was very fun I have to repeat. :)

Looking forward to the up coming map.

S! 

16 hours ago, Elfin said:

I am not a big fan of intermissions of several days and particularly when they are over a weekend and I also like playing when there is something "at stake", if you know what i mean.

HOWEVER!

I actually took some time away for a few days and when I did log in on Saturday, I was treated to a hilarious and fun few hours battling it out in AREA 51. That was a lot of fun even though some of those in AREA 51 should understand that you just shouldn't strafe the enemy air as it is lifting but allow an actual air battle to happen. Still, aside from that.....

I was on comm's with HyoSlvr and Ianstein and we had a blast flying, then I rolled out some AAA to shoot down those "no good" allied "cheaters" with Hyo and Ianstein as "bait". I think I improved slightly with the AAA...though I remain a newb with it, really.

While I am a favourite allied target while in the air, I decided I would get on and try improve my flying (which ranges from very pitiful to pitiful) and people on channel, particularly Hyo, helped me out and it was a good and fun use of my time.

For this intermission I am fine with how it has played out. 

Battle will be on soon enough !

S! 

I was up there , and did think to myself let the planes get off the ground. I did make one strafing run I have to admit.

But I don't get better in the gunnery aspect if I strafe ,let alone in campaign one can't strafe a AF anyways cause the AI will chew one up.

It was a blast I scored kills flying which in the real campaign almost never happens,  was actually disappointed that the AIR brigades were pulled the next time I logged in. Was a sure fast way to get into the air and have a dog fight.

Edited by dre21

1 hour ago, dre21 said:

I was up there , and did think to myself let the planes get off the ground. I did make one strafing run I have to admit.

But I don't get better in the gunnery aspect if I strafe ,let alone in campaign one can't strafe a AF anyways cause the AI will chew one up.

It was a blast I scored kills flying which in the real campaign almost never happens,  was actually disappointed that the AIR brigades were pulled the next time I logged in. Was a sure fast way to get into the air and have a dog fight.

lol. yup. you got me a few times. but it was all pretty fun in any case. people zooming around, diving, turning, swearing, laughing.

there was a lot of action. makes me think more intense limited action scenarios should be on the menu for the game....some how woven into the main map perhaps.

S!

Just a few points;

1. Snow - yes please, and yes we should add a dash of grey to stop dazzle. Might I suggest a panzerish sort of grey?

2. Intermission - hate it but understand its' role in game. HC deserve some R&R.

3. Event themed intermissions are far better than ordinary intermission imho. Remember the Torpedo Blens!!

4. Restart time - why "punish" euro players? With the start time we effectively cannot play until Wednesday evening, almost a full week since the campaign was won.

S! Ian

3 hours ago, ian77 said:

4. Restart time - why "punish" euro players? With the start time we effectively cannot play until Wednesday evening, almost a full week since the campaign was won.

Understand that no one is intentionally punishing anyone.

A lot of us have full time jobs and have to do this when we get home from work.

Thanks for understanding

S!

1 person likes this