• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caydel

UI / UX Thoughts for new users

4 posts in this topic

Just a few thoughts that were crossing my mind as I was reading through a few of the other current threads...

I think the experience needs to be massively simplified for greentags- perhaps a 'Basic' UI with an 'Advanced' (ie, the current) UI they can opt into once they know more about the game.

• It should be impossible for a new user who has no idea what is going on to spawn into an empty town, or into an impractical mission. For example, prevent them from spawning in as infantry on an attack mission from a FB - while there is a time and a place for it, a players first few missions are not necessarily that place. ('Welcome to the game. Now run 10 minutes into town, if you know where that is!')
  • When they join a new mission, it should be explicitly clear what they need to do to be a contributing member of the team, without necessarily knowing about the map or game mechanics. For example, maybe a 'Capture this building' floating HUD indicator to lead them to the CP the mission is targeting.
  • Some type of 'mentor' veteran player, who should be able to issue a 'Follow me!' command that will add a marker to the HUD for a new player. Maybe allow a 'mentor' player to assemble a squad of greentags who follow him?
  • Perhaps even so far as to allow veteran players who sign up as 'mentors' to be able to declare a mission 'New Player Friendly' to have greentags directed to it. Create some sort of incentive for Mentor players - maybe a discounted rate?
  • For vehicles, a 'cheat sheet' HUD window they can close that shows the current mappings for engine start, throttle, shifting, brakes, etc. Make this window easily minimised, and simple to re-open for reference as needed.
  • Maybe hide the naval part of the game until the user knows what they are getting into. 90% of the time, there is little or no naval gameplay happening. 

Thoughts?

Thanks @caydel for your ideas! Great brainstorming here.

Considering your different points

- I would personally be interested in defense AO-only and AB spawn-only for rank1 players (+ future HC FRU eventually). Kind of "instant action" mission. It's indeed easier to catch and train noobs when we know where to find these [edit: I just got a finger fight with my iPhone that wanted to write "boobs" but uh oh that wouldn't have mean the same!]

I would also like a "local side chat" when being despawned on the UI, to ease teamup communication.

- yes we could let waypoints be manually linked to players by the ML (Auto-Setting their objective arrow on map and in-game)

- that part already exists with the recruiter status and the .j command but sure UI needs some work 

- noob friendly mission would be missions that can't be joined once the ML left the origin area. But this also requires new players to use the chat or discord , which very few do

- I fully agree that we need a DRASTIC simplification of how the keymapper is shown. Its should only show basic controls with a display on a keyboard picture , and offer an "advanced" section for those who wants advanced things

- naval game is going to be improved a lot in the near future with 1.36 providing supplies at every  port, and with the zeelands towns being completed soon. CRS already mentioned that navy will get some love in a foreseeable future as well

Another thought - it would be nice to differentiate between greentags who are new to the game, and those who are new to the side. Maybe save 'green' for players with less than 10-20 hours ingame, period?

43 minutes ago, caydel said:

Another thought - it would be nice to differentiate between greentags who are new to the game, and those who are new to the side. Maybe save 'green' for players with less than 10-20 hours ingame, period?

Greentags can be non greentag in 30 mins with a couple of Recaps/Resets and a successful RTB, due to points. Interesting suggestion to link "greenness" to hours in game and not just points earned.

Getting them to actually do the basic training might help, but the instant action brigade will never do it. But I do agree the keymapper is tough, and the idea of the game throwing up a "press e to start engine" and other such basic tutorial ingame messages the first few times you spawn a vehicle/boat is a really good idea.

S! Ian

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0